Just curious on a feed back...??

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Just curious on a feed back...??

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Thank you everyone...yes I will let it go..I don't usually do this..I just read and move on..I think I found the answer to the problem...I will submit to another listing without percussion or minor amount and see what happens.

thank you all again

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:08 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:38 pm
Hi Andre, nice track.... I think I feel what the screener is saying that rhythm doesn't have a pocket for the guitar to sit in.... notice the reference track on YouTube you posted does not have drums like this.... I feel like the track would be awesome without the drums at all it has a great groove like that. The drums are not boomy what I think they are feeling is that Kick drum just feels out of place... It's like a rock kick drum you wouldn't hear that on a traditional track most likely a hand drum to carry that low end...
To me the track is awesome!! the drums just don't let it breathe like an authentic band would.

Best of luck
John
You stated it much better than I did. +1
It just didn't sound 'as smooth'... and detracted from the nice guitar work.
Okay... I'll move on, too. :? :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 pm
CTWF wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:56 pm
Hi André

I have listened three times - once with AKG K812 and twice with Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd ones definitely bass biased). I can see what Peter means and, yes, maybe another kick sample with less thump could have worked better. But the review does not mention this at all (and I don't find it that pronounced) and instead says rhythm issues, which I cannot hear at all. So, slightly puzzled here, as well. Also, really the kick was the only thing standing out a little (having, of course, read Peter's posts first). I could not hear any problems with the rest of the percussion.

In any case a very nice track! A warm summer night in an outside restaurant with that music... :)

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you for listening..Exactly my point..it critiques the percussion being of time..so you think it is worth writing an email to Taxi regarding this or let it go..I am easy either way..I just wanted other ears to hear it...I can fix the drum level issue for next time but I can't fix something I don't hear is wrong according to the screener so I can submit again for another opportunity.

THANKS AGAIN...I will listen with my headphones for re mixing as I don't hear them through my monitors
Hey Andre

I listened a few times and the second time, I was counting in with the percussion. It seems to be on time. I am just wondering if the screener may have thought that the chord changes were not on the one. I personally am quite discouraged with some of the feedback that I have gotten. Not because I was sensitive about it but there seems to be lacking a consistency. I know this drives you bonkers. I broke down every vocal note in my song with my auto pitch software and a piano. I got what I thought was every mistake and still people were saying the vocals were pitchy. It certainly has zapped my self confidence. So I feel for you. You have a niche with your music so I think you can go outside Taxi and test those waters. I don't have the luxuries of those contacts just yet but I am working towards it.

Cheers
Robert

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Robertj64 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
CTWF wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi André

I have listened three times - once with AKG K812 and twice with Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd ones definitely bass biased). I can see what Peter means and, yes, maybe another kick sample with less thump could have worked better. But the review does not mention this at all (and I don't find it that pronounced) and instead says rhythm issues, which I cannot hear at all. So, slightly puzzled here, as well. Also, really the kick was the only thing standing out a little (having, of course, read Peter's posts first). I could not hear any problems with the rest of the percussion.

In any case a very nice track! A warm summer night in an outside restaurant with that music... :)

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you for listening..Exactly my point..it critiques the percussion being of time..so you think it is worth writing an email to Taxi regarding this or let it go..I am easy either way..I just wanted other ears to hear it...I can fix the drum level issue for next time but I can't fix something I don't hear is wrong according to the screener so I can submit again for another opportunity.

THANKS AGAIN...I will listen with my headphones for re mixing as I don't hear them through my monitors
Hey Andre

I listened a few times and the second time, I was counting in with the percussion. It seems to be on time. I am just wondering if the screener may have thought that the chord changes were not on the one. I personally am quite discouraged with some of the feedback that I have gotten. Not because I was sensitive about it but there seems to be lacking a consistency. I know this drives you bonkers. I broke down every vocal note in my song with my auto pitch software and a piano. I got what I thought was every mistake and still people were saying the vocals were pitchy. It certainly has zapped my self confidence. So I feel for you. You have a niche with your music so I think you can go outside Taxi and test those waters. I don't have the luxuries of those contacts just yet but I am working towards it.

Cheers
Robert
Hi Robert,
Yeah I can see your thread going on to 7 pages... FIRST: About my post I am not one to see or deal with a return by posting but because I couldn't hear what the screener was mentioning I wanted to see if other Taxi members were hearing it and as per the response it is positive...as I said I can't fix a problem if I don't understand what the screener is talking about to submit the same track for a future listing...I trust my own ears until I don't one day.
TWO: Yes I understand that the screeners are well versed in all genres but sometimes I have my doubts specially when it is not a very popular genre..and we can't meet and greet them in person, I am sure Michael has recruited the best crew but i.e PURE Flamenco listing is not an easy one to judge as you have to truly know this art form but then again how many are you going to get in this genre and who ever the screener was for this, no disrespect he might well be an expert..glad I didn't get any returns on this one...lol..then I would not let go

THREE: Yes the chord changes: The accents on that kind of strumming are not on one so that could throw someone off if not familiar with this kind of music..it is not easy to play this with a click track although I did so my no.TWO point I can see why it might sound off target to some ears.

FOUR: I am glad I brought it up and posted it for my first confusion and disagreement with the screener..I now no to take the percussion off or add a bit of it.

In conclusion to YOU: I would not loose confidence, Taxi is just one part of a daily music achievement/ assignment/chore/challenge call it what ever you want..at least it is for me..I compose,gig,write for others,session work,produce,mix,master and have had many placements before I discovered Taxi in 2017 so just treat it like an amazing tool that Michael has created for us to learn,submit and have a chance to make money and meet/collab with so many other musicians...I play guitar in many styles specially if you want to get session calls but I would never go to a country guitar session as I am not...so it is good to know your boundaries,weaknesses and not to portray who you are not...I can't write a song or sing to save my life so I don't pretend to...I can sing in tune but I have a terrible tone to my voice, not a poet, trust me I tried...so I am born a composer and then I play guitar and piano to write and express my feelings ..I one last thing..as Michael said you don't have to be masterful, super composer to write a 2 minute piece for a TV/Film so when I get returns they don't hurt my feelings as I have many compositions from classical,jazz,flamenco-ish,rock, fusion,acid jazz and so on..that a lot of members won't get to hear or know of.............so again my point is don't let it get to you as writing for TAXI doesn't necessarily portray who and what you are capable of as a musician.

Music just pours into my brain everyday and I have to let it out by recording otherwise just like a computer my brain will blow up if you don't transfer it onto another hard drive...it is what I do before TAXI,during and after for the rest of my life.

I hope this helps a little Robert to calm your frustration..you are a talented songwriter and you belong here so just keep rockin!!!! DON'T EVER GIVE UP...We all need a bit of Simon Cowell honesty sometimes.

Okay this is the longest thread I have ever written on this forum, I hope it doesn't turn into further debate..my fingers are hurting...lol..not fast at typing... :lol: :D :lol:

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:36 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm
Robertj64 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm
gitanosoy wrote:

Hi Tom,

Hey Andre

Cheers
Robert
Hi Robert,
Yeah I can see your thread going on to 7 pages... FIRST: About my post I am not one to see or deal with a return by posting but because I couldn't hear what the screener was mentioning I wanted to see if other Taxi members were hearing it and as per the response it is positive...as I said I can't fix a problem if I don't understand what the screener is talking about to submit the same track for a future listing...I trust my own ears until I don't one day.
TWO: Yes I understand that the screeners are well versed in all genres but sometimes I have my doubts specially when it is not a very popular genre..and we can't meet and greet them in person, I am sure Michael has recruited the best crew but i.e PURE Flamenco listing is not an easy one to judge as you have to truly know this art form but then again how many are you going to get in this genre and who ever the screener was for this, no disrespect he might well be an expert..glad I didn't get any returns on this one...lol..then I would not let go

THREE: Yes the chord changes: The accents on that kind of strumming are not on one so that could throw someone off if not familiar with this kind of music..it is not easy to play this with a click track although I did so my no.TWO point I can see why it might sound off target to some ears.

FOUR: I am glad I brought it up and posted it for my first confusion and disagreement with the screener..I now no to take the percussion off or add a bit of it.

In conclusion to YOU: I would not loose confidence, Taxi is just one part of a daily music achievement/ assignment/chore/challenge call it what ever you want..at least it is for me..I compose,gig,write for others,session work,produce,mix,master and have had many placements before I discovered Taxi in 2017 so just treat it like an amazing tool that Michael has created for us to learn,submit and have a chance to make money and meet/collab with so many other musicians...I play guitar in many styles specially if you want to get session calls but I would never go to a country guitar session as I am not...so it is good to know your boundaries,weaknesses and not to portray who you are not...I can't write a song or sing to save my life so I don't pretend to...I can sing in tune but I have a terrible tone to my voice, not a poet, trust me I tried...so I am born a composer and then I play guitar and piano to write and express my feelings ..I one last thing..as Michael said you don't have to be masterful, super composer to write a 2 minute piece for a TV/Film so when I get returns they don't hurt my feelings as I have many compositions from classical,jazz,flamenco-ish,rock, fusion,acid jazz and so on..that a lot of members won't get to hear or know of.............so again my point is don't let it get to you as writing for TAXI doesn't necessarily portray who and what you are capable of as a musician.

Music just pours into my brain everyday and I have to let it out by recording otherwise just like a computer my brain will blow up if you don't transfer it onto another hard drive...it is what I do before TAXI,during and after for the rest of my life.

I hope this helps a little Robert to calm your frustration..you are a talented songwriter and you belong here so just keep rockin!!!! DON'T EVER GIVE UP...We all need a bit of Simon Cowell honesty sometimes.

Okay this is the longest thread I have ever written on this forum, I hope it doesn't turn into further debate..my fingers are hurting...lol..not fast at typing... :lol: :D :lol:
No debate here required. I hope I was able to shed some light on your potential mishap of a review. Thanks for the pep talk! I would like to get into mixing and mastering more. If you can shed any light on your journey, please send me a note. I am always all ears...lol
Cheers
Robert

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Good, I hope you feel better..I should add that I am no expert in Mastering,still and always improving how to master with my Logic and UAD plugins
Last edited by gitanosoy on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Okay so I just listened to my track through my Audio Technica headphones( same as the screeners) and you guys are absolutely right the bass drum is loud..first time with these headphones..I use my Sony MDR 750 and no where near the same volume....so cool a $50.00 Audio-Technica headphone tells me the truth and the $125.00 Sony lied to me...after mixing and mastering with my monitors and listening through different speakers I will always have a final listen with these headphones.

Thanks everyone..now I am even more glad I posted this. :P

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 am

I find that synching midi bass drums with acoustic or even swampy cues can get that vaguely out of groove feel.

kick being loud also has an effect of messing with the feel.
same can happen with claps.

strangely the times I just record claps and footstomps myself it generally works better for some reason.

I haven't got to the bottom of what is going on when it happens to me - so can't offer advice other than I can hear what the screener is hearing and have had the same issue myself several times.

I bet it sounds fine without the kick

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:34 am

btw - :o another flamenco listing just came in!!

judging by the text it's not the same library as the last one!

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 am

SubRivers wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:34 am
btw - :o another flamenco listing just came in!!

judging by the text it's not the same library as the last one!
Thanks..Wow!! ..another flamenco listing but this time "cues" not a full composition.