Just renewed on the two year plan

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sarahb

Just renewed on the two year plan

Post by sarahb » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Hello, Everybody,

I just renewed, despite that I haven't been that successful. I thought perhaps it would be helpful to join the forum so I don't feel so lonely! I have had some forwards, but so far no
placements.

My music is really good, but retro, so not that many calls for it. I'm a soul blues, blues rock kind of singer/songwriter. I have been really busy for the past 4 years, so I haven't submitted that much music. I do instrumentals, also, since I'm a composer as well as a songwriter. I want to submit music to music libraries as well as Taxi. I seem to be kind of stuck with that.

Right now, I am working on music for a documentary, I MARRIED THE WAR, which is about wives of combat veterans, and I just released an album, BAKER'S DOZEN, which is getting some
airplay on blues stations and some action on Youtube.

I think that just about fills you in about me. I live in Northern California. Right now I'm isolating in a cabin in a little mountain village. I actually love that I have some time around my virtual teaching to write, so no complaints. Stay safe, everyone. And thanks for reading.

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Just renewed on the two year plan

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Welcome Sarah!

I'd say you made a good decision to get plugged in here. There are lots of very talented composers/artists that are extremely helpful and encouraging. If you're feeling stuck with instrumentals, the Peer-to-Peer section is a great place to post some tracks and get feedback. Also, I like checking out the Forwards and the Success Stories a lot when I'm needing some motivation. Sync licensing is definitely a marathon, not a sprint... and having a good community of fellow composers to connect with definitely helps.

Glad to have you around!
Andrew

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:14 am

sarahb wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm
I just released an album, BAKER'S DOZEN, which is getting some airplay on blues stations and some action on Youtube.
Hi Sarah. Getting songs placed is harder than instrumentals as there are way less opportunities but they do pay better when they come along. It's not all about the latest chart/pop stuff either so if you're in a certain lane that might be less crowded it can be easier to stand out. Retro songs get used all the time in shows that take place in the past , often as source audio ( i.e. from a Jukebox or a band playing in a bar ) and blues /rock is pretty evergreen so anything that gets signed should have a long shelf life.

I think I found your Bakers Dozen on Spotify and listened to a few tracks all the way through ( Good News , Feeling The Blues , Stay Here ) and skipped around the others.

There's some good writing and nice playing on there but my main take away was that the production felt somewhat dated and the mixes were not on par with songs I've heard in the Production Music Libraries I'm with. Also I felt some of the vocals were a tad pitchy , more so in your lower register / chest voice. We are so used to hearing vocals that have been tune to perfection that these things stand out more nowadays.

If you could get them remixed to be more on par with current artists ( i.e. Ana Popovic , Beth Hart ? ) then I think you'd increase your chances of success quite a bit.

Mark

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am

sarahb wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm
My music is really good, but retro, so not that many calls for it. I'm a soul blues, blues rock kind of singer/songwriter. I have been really busy for the past 4 years, so I haven't submitted that much music. I do instrumentals, also, since I'm a composer as well as a songwriter. I want to submit music to music libraries as well as Taxi. I seem to be kind of stuck with that.
Busy for 4 years? Doing what?

sarahb

Post by sarahb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm

Hey, Mark,

I really appreciate the input. I did work a bit with the vocals, but since I can't stand auto tune, I let some slip by. I agree that the mix is a bit dated, too.

Could you be more specific, though?

Sarah

sarahb

Post by sarahb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:33 pm

I was busy teaching and producing music for other artists as well as a documentary film that I'm just finishing up. I had to move my studio just before all
the Covid-19 crises. It's been good to be home, actually, and get plugged in to Taxi a bit more. I really want to improve my music. I have had a few
forwards, just not any placements. So far, though, I haven't sent in any instrumentals, and that is what I'm going to focus on now.

I have taken a couple of licensing classes and got one song picked up by Catch the Moon, but just for a year. Anyway, thank you all for responding. I have met some cool people at the rallies. I've collaborated with two people and that has been very good. I found it difficult at first, but feel more comfortable now.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:33 am

sarahb wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm
Hey, Mark,

I really appreciate the input. I did work a bit with the vocals, but since I can't stand auto tune, I let some slip by. I agree that the mix is a bit dated, too.

Could you be more specific, though?

Sarah
Hi Sarah

Yes I can give more specific feedback, pick a song and which aspect(s) and I will let you know what I think.

Mark

sarahb

Post by sarahb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:14 pm

I'd love to get your opinion on "It'll Work Out All Right."

Part of my problem in producing is that I can't stand my vocal to be out front. I actually had a ref track for this song. It's getting the most attention on Youtube.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri May 01, 2020 2:59 am

sarahb wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:14 pm
I'd love to get your opinion on "It'll Work Out All Right."

Part of my problem in producing is that I can't stand my vocal to be out front. I actually had a ref track for this song. It's getting the most attention on Youtube.
Be interested to know what the Ref Track was so we can compare the production.

First off then. The drums , the good thing is they sound live but they don't sound that well recorded - just straight away from the initial drum fill they sound like they were recorded in a not very nice sounding room and not mic'd up properly. The sound reminds me of the sound we used to get at band practice when we just used whichever spare mic was laying around and the walls of the practice room were covered in carpet. I think that's hurting the whole production right there. I can't hear the kick and it's all a bit lo-fi which isn't in keeping with genre expectations.

When the vocals come in I'm struggling with lyrical intelligibility , I can't make out that first line.." When I ..something it's something ? ". This is where a good vocal coach can help, sometimes enunciating them differently or splitting the words up a little more so they don't all slur into one. Even just a tiny pause can help. I also feel that it's pitchy here on that 5th word it sounds the pitch droops well under the note. I would have tuned that note if I was mixing this.

Arrangement all sound fine to me, the piano is playing in between the spaces left when the vocal drops out which is good . The vocal level is within the 'window' of where I would expect it. It's not a pop song so you don't want it to be really up front and in your face.

" Sometime the days grow so long " ...the last word of that line sounds unsupported..like you ran out of breath

" something , something healing " ...the first couple of words that I can't make out also sound pitchy

The Bv's are nice, percussion works well for the song

" That's a part of life "..the slide up there on life also adds to a sense of pitchy-ness, I think you need to get straight to that 2nd note

52s - The stacked vocal harmonies are nice, I can hear some nice guitar work there as well. I just feel the mix is not that well done, I don't know who mixed it but there's no clarity to anything - It reminds me of stuff from the 80s production type sound.

Song is great though so it's just production really that I feel needs brushing up.

Hope that helps !

Mark

sarahb

Post by sarahb » Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am

Wow, thank you for taking the time to listen so carefully! I appreciate this so much. Actually, I was listening a lot to Tedeschi Trucks "Hear Me." I wasn't trying to write a song like that, but I liked the production.

Interesting, I am working with an old school producer, and I am old, too. So very hard to get up to date, I'd say. It would probably benefit me to just send off my stuff to somebody else for mixing!

What I'm thinking now is this. Redo the vocals, because I do sing the song much better now, remix. I have gotten other complaints about the vocals. Not sure about the drums. HMMM.

Thanks again.