Just want to learn more...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Just want to learn more...

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi all,
I respect the screeners review but I just want to learn more and understand better for future. I listened to all the reference tracks i.e "Fight Club" and it just repeats. As far as "developing Arc" , I introduce more subtle strings and percussion as the track proceeds so If you guys don't think so please comment if I am off on this, I would like to improve. Mood is off target: Can you please let me know your comments on this too.

Thank you.

Here is my track: https://www.taxi.com/members/M8lnHf2ZQO ... our-dreams

My review:
https://www.taxi.com/members/M8lnHf2ZQO ... CUue-eYgXg
Last edited by gitanosoy on Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Just want to learn more...

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Can't see the review , or see the listing/ref tracks but it is VERY repetitive to my ears.

It sounds like a copy/paste job most of the way through and I think you really need to be working harder to engage the listener

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Can't see the review , or see the listing/ref tracks but it is VERY repetitive to my ears.

It sounds like a copy/paste job most of the way through and I think you really need to be working harder to engage the listener
Hi Mark,

Sorry about that, try now the review should work.

cheers

jfletch2rx

Post by jfletch2rx » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 pm

For what its worth, I had a very similar review. I can kind of see what the screener means by "off mood", at least in my case, feeling like a little more determination instead of "suspense" as requested. That's kind of the feeling I get with yours as well. What do you think?

As far as "repetitive", yeah, I found it difficult not to be somewhat repetitive for "at least 2 minutes", especially keeping those references in mind that did repeat quite a bit even at 90 sec. I'd like to hear how the forwards pulled it off though.

For the string library comment, Your strings do sound a bit weak to my ears, but I'm no pro. For comparison, I used Epic strings by Spitfire and some of their BBC Orchestra and I got the comment that I needed more layers too. So maybe the libraries we are using aren't the best for this style? I would LOVE to hear someone with success recommend a string library for this style, b/c its definitely an exciting genre, and like you, I want to get stronger!

One Time Shot

review

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 am

Hi Andre, I went for this one too without success.
When I played your track my 18 year old son came in and asked why I was playing Grime (Uk based hip hop), so I think from a style perspective the groove works. Maybe the riff is a bit repetitive.It does have tension, but it’s a more mysterious tension rather than the epic and powerful tension of the examples they gave.
I think the intro is full of great ideas, and then it seems to settle down for about a minute until the build towards the end, so that could be what they mean about development arc.

Anyway I’m no expert!

Peter

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:13 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Mark,

Sorry about that, try now the review should work.

cheers
Thanks, yes I agree with the Screener - if I skip around the track it's hard to tell which part of the cue I'm in as they all sound so similar

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:23 am

Peterg wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 am
Hi Andre, I went for this one too without success.
When I played your track my 18 year old son came in and asked why I was playing Grime (Uk based hip hop), so I think from a style perspective the groove works. Maybe the riff is a bit repetitive.It does have tension, but it’s a more mysterious tension rather than the epic and powerful tension of the examples they gave.
I think the intro is full of great ideas, and then it seems to settle down for about a minute until the build towards the end, so that could be what they mean about development arc.

Anyway I’m no expert!

Peter
Thank you Peter..that is some good feed back specially about the tension but I am still not sure about the development asI add more string parts wouldn't that count as a development or are you reffering to the beat.?

Anyway I am glad it caught the attention of your 18 year old son :D

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:35 am

Thanks, yes I agree with the Screener - if I skip around the track it's hard to tell which part of the cue I'm in as they all sound so similar

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your input. Sorry to take up your time but could you please let me know if you are referring to the beat or the string section because as the track proceeds I add on more string parts so doesn't this qualify as a developing arc? If you could please elaborate more I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 am

Firstly I am going to refer you back to my previous answer

avoiding-repetitiveness-t146048.html

Specifically on your track:-

HH seems to be the same loop all the way through

Drums seem to be the same loop all the way through

Bass /synth part seems to be the same loop all the way through...it might not be so bad if the pattern was 8 bars long but it seems to be like a bar long and repeats ad naseum.

Strings - although you do layer stuff it's all sounding like the same mid range patch..Up to about 1.25 there's no sonic differences in the sounds used even if there is in the pattern.

Also everything is kind of piled one atop the other...where are the breakdowns ? where are the call / response melodies ? By the end it's like being in a room with 10 people all trying to speak at the same time.

Mark

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:21 am

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much, that is what I needed.

Also I was looking for that break down post that you made and you posted the link so thanks for that too.

Nice tracks on Soundcloud by the way.