Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

Post by ernstinen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:29 am

I have no comment about this or anything else remotely political. BTW, L.A.'s country station, KZLA, has dropped the format and has gone urban. No more Dixie Chicks to kick around.Ern

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:43 am

Yeah, many of our country format stations (Michigan) have either dropped or cut back chick rotation. Doesn't bother me either way -- never kicked 'em around, but a lot of us rural folks sure felt their boots in our butts. bc

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:29 am

Quote:I have no comment about this or anything else remotely political. BTW, L.A.'s country station, KZLA, has dropped the format and has gone urban. No more Dixie Chicks to kick around.Ern How is that by not playing the Chicks songs means a station is kicking them around? There are a lot of artists who are not receiving airplay... is that a kick? If that's getting kicked around then I should be dead.If folks find what the Chicks say to be offensive to their beliefs and political ideals how is that kicking them around?Freedom of speech is a two way street!If I were to exercise my freedom of speech to say something derogatory toward someone, something or some idea that people might find offensive (whether I was in the majority or minority of opinions) I should expect some backlash.If I had a voice that was quoted by national media and said Hillary Clinton is (insert any political negative here you wish) should I expect an invitation to her dinner party? Might I not expect backlash because I am in the public eye.The Chicks can handle the backlash because ideally, What we all believe should be worth more than our checking account.And because of the Chicks opinions, mine has few extra dollars that might have gone into theirs.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:36 am

Wow, Hitwriter, relax! I'll have someone else with a sense of humor (and who has been around here a little longer) explain my post to you. Re bashing Bush: "He's not from Texas and he ain't a cowboy, so let's stop trashin' Texans and cowboys."~~~ Willie Nelson Ern

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:35 am

Quote:As for mani's planet consensus: ;-) would this be the same planet that would be speaking exclusively German or Japanese these days if it wasn't for america? Of course this could be the planetary consensus that doesn't mind if their daughters grow up as slaves to muslim sharia law. (Google it up) C'm'on BC. I can go down the line further in history and name any number of situations and countries that if they hadn't intervened would have resulted in a very different outcome for a lot of the world (even America). So that sort of breast beating just doesn't cut any slack or have any meaning. What I will say is that perhaps if wealthy prominent Americans hadn't funded the Nazi party's rise to power in the first place the war might never have happened.Quote:snopes-proof-facts: 25% of the world's population claims to be muslim; they however provide less than 1% of all world aid. The dastardly U.S. is 5% of the worlds population and provides over 70% of world aid. That in the face of an increasingly fascist/dictator loving "world?" media.And due to behind the scenes wrangling and economic sleight-of-hand, the ultimate cost to those countries is 8 times what they receive from the US. But you probably won't find that on Snopes. You should learn a bit about how this works as it's absolutely fascinating. Bottom line: The US and EU make a sh*tload of money from this "generosity" at the end of the day and it causes these countries to spiral further and further into debt! Looks great to the casual observer though!Quote:Back to the chickies: I'm probably in the minority, but when Americans choose a president, I believe we all should put our political preferences aside and support the office. For the record: I liked Carter, didn't like Reagan, didn't like Bush 1, liked Perot, didn't like Clinton, didn't like Bush 2. But once the vote is counted, no matter how close, it's incumbent upon us all to support (for 4 years our national executive. The alternative is, we demoralize those risk their lives to defend our republic -- (and speaking of chicks), that's a bird we don't want to come home to roost. Sorry if this sounds judgemental BC. I don't intend it to be. It's just an observation: This sort of opinion is a curiously American trait.I despise the people who run my country and openly say so every opportunity I get. Where I come from no-one would ever "have a problem" with that or "get offended" by it whether they agreed with me or not. I think this way is better.

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:24 am

Quote:Wow, Hitwriter, relax! I'll have someone else with a sense of humor (and who has been around here a little longer) explain my post to you. Re bashing Bush: "He's not from Texas and he ain't a cowboy, so let's stop trashin' Texans and cowboys."~~~ Willie Nelson Ern I am relaxed, but thanks for the concern.And while I certainly understand the humor in your original post it's a relative matter. I just used your comment on radio and the Chicks to elaborate a bit more. There is a group who feel radio is treating the Chicks unfairly. Kenny Kerner from TAXI is one.My original post was intended to have Kerner explain his need to use TAXI ink to convey his own personal opinions about an issue non related to my membership. Nit picking as it is.Should I ignore the "Bullentin Board" in the TAXI section of "Recording" since it appears to be an op-ed, or will they decide to keep political opinions out of the forum.In a interview or column I should expect to hear "opinion". In a listing of current music news I expect to read facts, not editorials.I am looking forward to Kerner's response.Regarding the comment about someone who has been around here a little longer, I am assuming that it refers to my TAXI forum membership and the knowledge of your previous postings.If it refers to my time here on earth, I can assure you I have voted in a few elections.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:31 am

Do a little deep breathing, put this on the stereo, lower the lights, and Enjoy!Ern

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Cool! I've been looking for that CD. Doesn't it have a cover of "This Is No ..."

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:44 pm

>>You should learn a bit about how this works as it's absolutely fascinating.<<Brother mani, the esoteric aspects of geopolitical machinations past and present notwithstanding, you make a predictably euro-errant assumption that an American patriot can't understand "how this works." It doesn't take much more than a pedestrian intellect to understand the empirical fact as to "how this works." But it does take exceptional wisdom, strength and patience to overlook a world filled with pop culture ingrates. BTW: No chest beating here so don't do the aljazeera spin on my well meant words. If people are going to constantly deride the U.S. then I'm going to remind those who would have a conscience of why they enjoy some form of freedom from tyrants. Remember Mussolini? best,bc

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:19 pm

Hey guys,Just a word of caution, since I was on the receiving end of a "Non PC" word I used recently (THAT'S what I was alluding to, Hit):One of my other favorite music websites' General Discussion section got shut down, so far permanently, for overtly political discussions.I'm not a moderator, and so far this forum has been a little more liberal (in a good way), but those of us who have liked cracking jokes, playing trivia, deifying Sgt. Pepper etc. over the years would not like some newbies or trolls shutting this down.But I love you all, and I'm glad the Saddam/Natalie CD is becoming a big hit all over the world. Ern