Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

Post by edteja » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:27 am

How about them Mets, Johnny Dean (well known extremenialistic propounder)?
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:01 am

Is there a flap abotu the "Chicks"? Is it political? I don't see how that effects Sgt. Peppers in the least! I'm offended!

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 am

Quote:To quote that well known philosopher and Sage Johnny Dean."what the f has this got to do with music"jWhich is why Kerner should have kept his opinion to himself.

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:13 am

Quote:Hitwriter, I think you just wanted to instigate some kind of political debate with no real basis for discussion.So what if Kerner thinks that radio has been unfair to the Dixie Chicks. He's entitled to his opinion, same as you, and you have the right to read it or not, the same as you have the right to listen to the radio or not. I don't really see why you're so agrieved by his comments. I crave personal opinion from writers, otherwise all you get is unbiased text which reads like an instruction manual.I'm from the UK but now live in Italy and a comment like his wouldn't even cause a flicker on anyones radar in these two countries.The other day I was watching TV and Allessandra Mussolini (grand-daughter of the famous dictator who happens to be a politician here :/ ) came out with this comment in reaction to here opponents who said that her views on homosexuals and immigrants were the product of old world facism "Better facist than queer"...on prime time TV. Most Italians just laugh it off, in fact many Italians probably agree with her. I've met lots who wish that they still had a dictator.The thing which scares me about your comment is that you wish to water down the content of someones editorial to eliminate what you see as anti Bush administration comments...which for you translates as anti-American (not the same thing).I remember very clearly 9/11 because it was the same week my first single was released. I remember back then that for reasons of sensitivity any songs which were concidered anti-American, refering to planes etc were removed from radio...in fact I remember my record label getting really panicky because some of my lyrics refered to planes.The worst thing though was that anyone who had an outspoken view against the American government (not it's people but it's leaders) were banned. Rage Against the Machine had their entire back catalogue deleted. Massive Attack were blanket banned from radio because they had a song called "Bomb the Pentagon", but wierdly enough the Dixie Chicks, who were really just a bunch of pretty country singers, were subjected to a radio ban because they said they were ashamed to come from the same state as Bush.....seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? It's not like any of their songs said this or eluded to this, but because they made these views in an interview their songs were banned...hmmmm.It's a fact that before 911 Bush was the least popular president in American history. After 911 he was able to do pretty much what he wanted. Bush is not America, he is a voted leader and expressing views against him does not equal anti-American. If I say that Kerry is a prick does it mean I'm Anti-American? No! Why....what's the difference, they're both politicians except one has his finger on the button and the other doesn't.Matto (the wise old man of the board) is right about Europeans been more open minded when it comes to freedom of speech. In England I marched against the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. Even after months of spin, over half the UK population were against the war and people openly attacked Blair on TV, in print in music....that's what freedom of speech is all about.One thing that this thread has opened my eyes to is that my songs, which are sometimes about immigration, war, religion, probably won't go down very well with you if you get so upset by such a small comment: and that's relevant to my career as a musician, which I suppose augments Kerners original comments.My point is simple... While Kerner is entitled to his opinion, why did he feel the need to post it in a non political trade publication?He joked that somehow the Bill of Rights for the Chicks had been taken away... I find that remark to be as ridiculous as he thought it to be funny.Since when does freedom of speech promise a receptive audience with no disagreement or backlash.The Chicks spoke their mind in front of like minded crowd in France... would they have made the same comments (before the hoopala) here? In Texas?Kerner's comments (as nit picking as this is) offended me under my rights and I would prefer that political opinion not be served up via TAXI publications.Now that I know Kerner's bias, I promise you in the future I'll flip the page.

bitwhys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bitwhys » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:27 am

cognative dissonance justifying an oligarchically enforced special interest skewed market demand for ulteriorly motivated retribution clearly demonstrating a squandered cultural inheritance.God Bless Americare: Johnny DeanIf you're talking about professional songwriters, nothing. If your talking about artists, everything.
"Its a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author - and that he did not learn it better" - Nietzsche

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:46 am

Quote:Back to the chickies: I'm probably in the minority, but when Americans choose a president, I believe we all should put our political preferences aside and support the office. For the record: I liked Carter, didn't like Reagan, didn't like Bush 1, liked Perot, didn't like Clinton, didn't like Bush 2. But once the vote is counted, no matter how close, it's incumbent upon us all to support (for 4 years our national executive. The alternative is, we demoralize those risk their lives to defend our republic -- (and speaking of chicks), that's a bird we don't want to come home to roost. Songs in the works: Red State Neck of the Woods, and, Fly Over This! bcI’ve once again gritted my teeth and tried not to get into this pointless debate, but….I think the whole problem can be summed up in one word. Respect. There is room for differing opinions, and no one should be a blind sheep in supporting either our President or our country. However, the lack of simple, respect creates a mud pile environment where everybody ends up looking like a pig. I didn’t agree with much of Clinton’s policies or his personal actions, yet he was our elected president and deserved my respect. Disagreement, yes. Name calling and over the top insinuations, no. I wouldn’t do that to someone I personally know, so why should I do that to someone just because they are in the spotlight. What troubles me about the current state of affairs is that no one respects the office anymore – on either side. The Clinton bashing by the extreme right wing did nothing but demean the office. The same thing is happening now, but on an even larger scale. The Bush bashers are not just dragging Bush down, but demeaning the Presidency and our country all over the world. The next guy is going to have a tough time, not just because of some administrative policy decisions, but because both Bush and the Presidency have been the brunt of so much over the top characterization. We are a joke around the world. You can try to blame Bush for all of that, but the bashers share a lot of the responsibility. You can’t sling mud without a lot of collateral mess.In the media frenzy world that we live in, words echo around the world and are often more powerful than a missile strike. The problem I have with the DC is not their opinions, but that they’ve chosen to use their celebrity platform to be disrespectful to our country and leaders. It’s lack of class. Of course it is their right of free speech to be as classless and distasteful as they choose, but don’t whine about the ramifications. Marylyn Manson uses this to his advantage. His lack of taste and mainstream airplay is part of his whole gimmick. He knows his audience. Unfortunately, DC doesn’t know or respect their audience. They could have made the same points and had better results if they had used a little common decency. Now they are dealing with the ramifications of that.If you want to be a jerk, you have that right, but don’t throw a pity party when some decide they don’t want to be around you. IMHO this lack of respect hurts all of us. Name calling is what grade school kids do. When “adults” stoop to this level, it just makes us all look bad.

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:49 am

Well said

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:57 am

Quote:Since when does freedom of speech promise a receptive audience with no disagreement or backlash.I don't have a problem with freedom of speech and it's possible backlash. What I have a problem with is censorship and discrimination because of someones opinion. If you flick the page on Kerner because of his views on DC then you are just as guilt of discrimination based on some political opinion that he has. The guy has a wealth of knowledge to give you and you'll close your ears because he isn't the right shade of democrat for your liking. Posted by AubreyZ on Today at 11:46am I think the whole problem can be summed up in one word. Respect. There is room for differing opinions, and no one should be a blind sheep in supporting either our President or our country. However, the lack of simple, respect creates a mud pile environment where everybody ends up looking like a pig. Alot of what you say makes sense but the problem with respect is that it needs to be earned. I respect a leader who delivers what they promise and doesn't screw the little guy whilst filling his own pockets. I don't respect people who blindly lie about things to win over support.Yes the Presidencial office of America has become degraded but that is also because the internet has allowed alot of people to get access to information they never thought possible and opened their eyes a little.If media coverage had been what it is now, before WW2, then certain people and countries would have probably come out looking alot worse than they do now. It seems the winners are no longer able to write the history books to their advantage.A little historical footnote. If it wasn't for France, America would still be ruled by Britain (the British surrended to the French during the civil war)....so why do Americans hate France so much? Next time we get one of those pointless "we bailed Europe out of WW2 so Europe owes America respect" type of posts think about that and sta zitto!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:12 am

JeeeeesThis thread is waaaaaaay too deep and political for me. I just signed a 2 million dollar deal with a major label. But who would even notice if I posted that right now... Back to Beatles trivia for me... casey

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:13 am

Quote:Quote:Since when does freedom of speech promise a receptive audience with no disagreement or backlash.I don't have a problem with freedom of speech and it's possible backlash. What I have a problem with is censorship and discrimination because of someones opinion. If you flick the page on Kerner because of his views on DC then you are just as guilt of discrimination based on some political opinion that he has. The guy has a wealth of knowledge to give you and you'll close your ears because he isn't the right shade of democrat for your liking. Posted by AubreyZ on Today at 11:46am I think the whole problem can be summed up in one word. Respect. There is room for differing opinions, and no one should be a blind sheep in supporting either our President or our country. However, the lack of simple, respect creates a mud pile environment where everybody ends up looking like a pig. Alot of what you say makes sense but the problem with respect is that it needs to be earned. I respect a leader who delivers what they promise and doesn't screw the little guy whilst filling his own pockets. I don't respect people who blindly lie about things to win over support.Yes the Presidencial office of America has become degraded but that is also because the internet has allowed alot of people to get access to information they never thought possible and opened their eyes a little.If media coverage had been what it is now, before WW2, then certain people and countries would have probably come out looking alot worse than they do now. It seems the winners are no longer able to write the history books to their advantage.A little historical footnote. If it wasn't for France, America would still be ruled by Britain (the British surrended to the French during the civil war)....so why do Americans hate France so much? Next time we get one of those pointless "we bailed Europe out of WW2 so Europe owes America respect" type of posts think about that and sta zitto!So choosing to ignore a political ideal is discrimination as if it were a bad thing? We discriminate every day. I don't listen to Urban or Rock Alt radio... I can discriminate at my will. I'm pretty confident you would discriminate my own music which is country pop with a conservative lyric.If I choose to ignore a Kerner article published in a section of a magazine that has no business expressing political opinion then that is my freedom to do so.The Chicks were not censored, (none of their work was edited) their music was removed from certain radio playlist formats that felt their listeners would no longer care for their music based on their open opinions on the President and the war in Iraq. They (radio) answer ot the advertisers... if listeners tune out, they lose money. Please read my previous posts.Regarding your historical footnote refer to the WWII comments you wish to ignore.