Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

Post by bc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:19 am

BitWhys: Somolia USAID -- that wouldn't be more of that genetically modified grain Congress is ramming down everybody's throat since the lobbies talked them into paying for it, would it?I'm not sure. As a farm boy, I know we've helped keep the price down on corn, it hasn't gone up a breath in 30 years. And when you're starving...food is food, dude. Of course you could go to the source: Syngenta AG (Syngenta) is an agribusiness that is involved in the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of a range of products designed to improve crop yields and food quality. Syngenta is also engaged in the development of products for markets, such as Seed Treatment, Turf and Ornamentals, Professional Pest Management, Vector Control and Public Health. The Company operates in three business segments: crop protection, seeds and plant science. Crop Protection chemicals include herbicides, insecticides and fungicides to control weeds, insect pests and diseases in crops. The Seeds business operates in two commercial sectors: seeds for field crops, including corn, oilseeds, cereals and sugar beet, and vegetable and flower seeds. Syngenta is also developing a Plant Science business applying biotechnology to areas, including improving growers' yield and food quality.I think matto might be familiar with their ADDDDREESSS Schwarzwaldallee 215Basel SZ 4058

bitwhys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bitwhys » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:25 am

"I know we've helped keep the price down on corn"I beg your pardon? US corn is the most heavily subsidized commodity on the planet. do you have ANY idea how severely that hamstrings domestic markets in developing nations?
"Its a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author - and that he did not learn it better" - Nietzsche

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 am

Quote:Nice try young feller--- BTW: When I was your age I was a card carrying SDS member -- anybody here remember them? I doubt it. Google it up. I went from rice paddies to anti war demonstrations. Funny how growing up and older gives one a perspective not understandable callow youthful progressives. "Nice try young feller ---- BTW: When I was your age I was a card carrying SDS member -- anybody here remember them? I doubt it. Google it up. I went from rice paddies to anti war demonstrations. Funny how growing up and older gives one a perspective not understandable callow youthful progressives."What's with this age-ism crap? It sure doesn't help promote your arguments very well. You sound like someone's drunk old uncle. "In my day, sonny ---- " I know who the SDS were. And the Weathermen. And the White Panthers. Heck, the MC5 was probably THE pioneering political punk/rock band. And they didn't say "Kick out the jams motherF^ckers" just to be crass. But of course, YOU know that. It sounds like you know everything.As far as "callow youthful progressives," I'm not callow and not a youth anymore. But I'm becoming MORE progressive and politically involved because of what this neo-con administration is doing to ruin our liberties and our beloved country. If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.Ern

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:33 am

The only opinion we have that means anything is when we vote. I wish I could say more
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:42 am

Age-ism ern? Sound like someone's drunk old uncle? Real nice. Treat your family that way too? See where this goes?. If respect is "ern"d -- you might do well to remember what you said about humor in a previous post. Like the poster was supposed to genuflect because you have reached the millinium mark in idle time here on the board. You might take your own advice and chill out a bit with your favorite music. As for this old sober dude; I have indeed spent too much time in a whizzing match, wherein we all come out smelling like skunks. I don't care about promoting arguments. I much prefer unfettered and respectful pursuit of truth. It does exist you know. And in that pursuit, if I get taken down a notch or two, and gain wisdom, then it's for the better. Some folks think outside the box...I ask...what box?I am too easily offended by America bashers, it is a flaw in my personality that only comes in handy when I'm called upon to defend my country. I know I have offended some of you and I appologize. About the corn: America's farm subsidies are all screwed up. And I know there is layer after subtle layer of geopolitcal issues with our aid. But again, tell that to a starving person. Some of you guys have it too good to really understand the...oh, there I go again. bc

bitwhys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bitwhys » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:50 am

"Some of you guys have it too good to really understand the..."who are you to tell me how many meals I've missed over the years and why?
"Its a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author - and that he did not learn it better" - Nietzsche

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:03 pm

Aw come on now bitwhys...bc made a peace offering . Maybe we can all move on and go back to discussion things musical? I don't think the OP would mind one bit. I think that was his original point, actually.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Quote:>>BC, The quote above is me encouraging you to polish up on the issue.<<Nice try young feller -- you should polish up on the issue -- or at least your tangential debate ploys. Listen, you spin my comments to fit your agenda, that's fine if you're more concerned about competition than persuing the truth. Try unloading the grain truck as peace core volunteer in somalia -- then tell me and the audience your trying to impress what American aid does. Your parsing posts negate weight I might have given you. And the Aljazeera spin comment was spot on. If you dont' get it, then get out the polish bcBC,I don't have an agenda. I'm completely apolitical and without any social affiliation. I have nothing to lose or gain here in relation to any hard held beliefs. (I don't have any when it comes to this stuff.) I still encourage you to read up on this subject and educate yourself. The US and the EU make vast amounts of money from "giving aid"! It's not spin. Just the truth. You can stick your head in the sand all you like. It'll still be the truth.Btw, Still waiting for you to point out all those derisory posts about the US!

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:39 pm

Hitwriter-To address your point about Kerner using Taxi publications as a politial soapbox, I agree to a certain extent; that's not really what we're paying for. However, since the article in question was framed around a musical group and how the public and corporate sectors viewed & reacted to their actions, I believe it's entirely relevant to us as writers and performers.If a political article were to appear that had no musical relevance whatsoever, I would probably be asking why it was appearing in a Taxi publication. In this case, though, I think it gives us something to consider, and possibly learn from.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Quote:Hitwriter-To address your point about Kerner using Taxi publications as a politial soapbox, I agree to a certain extent; that's not really what we're paying for. However, since the article in question was framed around a musical group and how the public and corporate sectors viewed & reacted to their actions, I believe it's entirely relevant to us as writers and performers.If a political article were to appear that had no musical relevance whatsoever, I would probably be asking why it was appearing in a Taxi publication. In this case, though, I think it gives us something to consider, and possibly learn from.AndreThank you... And I agree to the extent that he (Kerner) could have simply stated that the DC continue to receive backlash from country music radio because of their comments. But to somehow equate that with a violation of the Bill of Rights is a ridiculous stretch which envoked my knee jerk reaction.The further proof that political opinion (outside of industry legislation) does not belong within the confines of TAXI can be found within this thread.Kindest regards