Keyscape specs/Anyone running Keyscape Lite?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Keyscape specs/Anyone running Keyscape Lite?

Post by annayarbrough » Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 am

Curious if any of you guys are running the Lite version of Keyscape (30gb instead of 80gb) and if anyone has managed to run this version without meeting the full system requirements.

I'm good on space but I am limping along with a pitiful 4gb ram and 1.6Ghz processor, which is pretty much a death sentence for just about everything. Will be upgrading in about a year but life is what it is right now until the hubs finishes law school :lol:

I've been using individual samples so far (instead of massive libraries) to get around the issue, but obviously you can't do this with Keyscape. Dying to get it but don't want to shell out if it's going to sit on a drive for a year.

Appreciate any input from you technologically proficient folk.
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Keyscape specs/Anyone running Keyscape Lite?

Post by Kolstad » Thu May 17, 2018 4:19 am

I don't run the lite version, Anna, but I have Keyscape on an external SSD drive, which makes it run fast and smooth. That way you stream the samples from the external drive, and on an SSD, that is extremely fast and doesn't strain the computer as much.
Ceo of my own life

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu May 17, 2018 5:51 am

Kolstad wrote:I don't run the lite version, Anna, but I have Keyscape on an external SSD drive, which makes it run fast and smooth. That way you stream the samples from the external drive, and on an SSD, that is extremely fast and doesn't strain the computer as much.
Thanks, Kolstad! Yeah I was planning on doing the same... just wasn’t sure if that would be enough to run it successfully or whether my RAM/processor limitations would still be a factor. What do you think?
Anna Yarbrough

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am

annayarbrough wrote:
Kolstad wrote:I don't run the lite version, Anna, but I have Keyscape on an external SSD drive, which makes it run fast and smooth. That way you stream the samples from the external drive, and on an SSD, that is extremely fast and doesn't strain the computer as much.
Thanks, Kolstad! Yeah I was planning on doing the same... just wasn’t sure if that would be enough to run it successfully or whether my RAM/processor limitations would still be a factor. What do you think?
Not sure, but I run a quad core i7 with 16ram, and it still is using a good chunk. So you might struggle, even with an SSD. Not sure how much is the computer and how much the SSD, though.
Ceo of my own life

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Hey Anna! There's another option. let's say you buy it and are displeased with the performance of your present computer running it, I don't know if you have a mac or pc or daw, it doesn't really matter, I know you don't want to really upgrade computer at this time, however, for ~ $260, you can get 8gb ram, 240ssd, windows 10, i5 2.5 gig hz.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/0502 ... efurbished

You could install the free cakewalk daw, xfer the audio from your reg daw on usb flash and import it into cakewalk, or play and
render keyscape audio file and import it into your regular daw.

there are I'm sure cheaper alternatives like for $100= http://www.microcenter.com/product/0505 ... efurbished
+$80-100 for 8gb ram and ~$25 for 120gb ssdhttp://www.microcenter.com/product/485877/120G ... tate_Drive
not really much cheaper and you don't need to assemble extra parts, and windows is on ssd and newer chip

I just worked on my mom's computer, the power supply was going out, bought a new fan and replaced the noisy one, installed
another ssd, the 60gb was almost full and taking longer to start, and bought a longer printer cord plus some misc items for a $100.

But it's possible that your computer will be okay if you do one instrument at a time and render the audio.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 am

Kolstad wrote:
annayarbrough wrote:
Not sure, but I run a quad core i7 with 16ram, and it still is using a good chunk. So you might struggle, even with an SSD. Not sure how much is the computer and how much the SSD, though.
Yeah that was my worry.... so many factors!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri May 18, 2018 8:05 am

Len911 wrote:Hey Anna! There's another option. let's say you buy it and are displeased with the performance of your present computer running it, I don't know if you have a mac or pc or daw, it doesn't really matter, I know you don't want to really upgrade computer at this time, however, for ~ $260, you can get 8gb ram, 240ssd, windows 10, i5 2.5 gig hz.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/0502 ... efurbished

You could install the free cakewalk daw, xfer the audio from your reg daw on usb flash and import it into cakewalk, or play and
render keyscape audio file and import it into your regular daw.

there are I'm sure cheaper alternatives like for $100= http://www.microcenter.com/product/0505 ... efurbished
+$80-100 for 8gb ram and ~$25 for 120gb ssdhttp://www.microcenter.com/product/485877/120G ... tate_Drive
not really much cheaper and you don't need to assemble extra parts, and windows is on ssd and newer chip

I just worked on my mom's computer, the power supply was going out, bought a new fan and replaced the noisy one, installed
another ssd, the 60gb was almost full and taking longer to start, and bought a longer printer cord plus some misc items for a $100.

But it's possible that your computer will be okay if you do one instrument at a time and render the audio.
Who knew :o I had no idea this was even an option. Thanks, Len! Might dig into this a bit further!
Anna Yarbrough

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Anna, there are several stores in nyc, just go to microcenter web site and choose store to see what's available. my dad bought the
$99 hp about a year and a half ago for internet and cable shows. I couldn't build one any cheaper for what he needs.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music