L. John Ernst Productions Is Now MUSICAL MASTERING!

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

L. John Ernst Productions Is Now MUSICAL MASTERING!

Post by ernstinen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi All,

I've been an audio engineer/producer/musician for over 30 years, and realize that everybody has their own studios in their bedrooms or garages these days. That will never change. But another thing that I've done for almost as long is MASTERING. A little light went on recently in my pea-brain: People may know how to record, but do they really know how to master audio? Or do they even KNOW what mastering audio means? My guess is no, for most people.

So a couple of months ago, I decided to dedicate my studio to the niche of mastering. I'm calling it "MUSICAL MASTERING." Why? Well, first because I'm a musician, and compose in almost any style of music --- So I know what the masters should sound like. Second, I refuse to use "brickwall compression" on my masters. If the meters are not moving, the dynamics are lost, and it's UN-musical, IMHO. Third, I believe in a happy medium between digital and analog; Pro Tools, tubes and analog tape, for instance, can be used together to create a compression that is warm and, um, musical!... I use a stereo tube compressor, and just got my mastering reel-to-reel deck refurbished and up to spec. Wow, does it ever sound GREAT! Warm, clean, and NO noise. It's just another tool, but a good tool!

To sum it up, that's my new gig! I'd be happy to master a song for any Taxi member for FREE, just to prove that I know what I'm doing. You'll find that not only do I have the gear, but more importantly, the EARS. I've been blessed with really good ears, and haven't played in a really loud rock band in quite awhile LOL, so I've got them insured for $10 million. Well, not really, but I should!... Let me know if you'd like to take me up on this deal, 'cause my studio is getting booked up.

Thanks,

Ern :)