Late critique on Neo Soul submission

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LanceWalker

Late critique on Neo Soul submission

Post by LanceWalker » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:28 pm

Hello All,

I just found out about this peer to peer forum, and I already submitted 3 listings to a Neo Soul listing that ended yesterday. Regardless, any critique will definitely be welcome so that I can get it right next time if I made any errors. I'm new to Taxi, so I'm sure I'll need some guidance!
Here's one of the three: https://www.taxi.com/my/artist/songs/go ... 1cQ-elated

Thanks for listening!

NEO-SOUL INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful Music Licensing Company that lands placements on hundreds of shows on Major Networks every year!

NOTE: The placements generated from this Company will likely have good royalty payouts on the backend since they will mostly be on Major Network Shows. Sounds great to us!

This Company is on the hunt for Mid-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Tadow" by Masego & FKJ

"The List" by Moonchild

"Key to Love (Is Understanding)" by BADBADNOTGOOD feat. Jonah Yano

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please submit fresh Neo-Soul Instrumental Cues with groovy rhythms, solid instrumentation that's generally similar to the references, and an overall cool, laid-back vibe. Craft your Cues around a singular soulful motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your production should be polished; and if you plan on using any virtual instruments or samples, they should be super high-quality and modern.

NOTE: Music in this genre can be on the slower side, but this Company has told us that they do NOT want anything that's too slow or sluggish. Keep your tracks in the Mid-Tempo range like the references.

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Sunday, January 9th, 2022. TAXI # S220109NS

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Late critique on Neo Soul submission

Post by melodea » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 am

Hi there, the link doesn't work. Share it out of your profile, on the left side, copy the link.

Cheers Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

LanceWalker

Post by LanceWalker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:52 am

by melodea » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:31 am
Hi there, the link doesn't work. Share it out of your profile, on the left side, copy the link.

Sorry about that, looks like I didn't make the song public. Does this work? https://www.taxi.com/my/artist/songs/go ... 1cQ-elated

And here are links to the reference songs that I didn't provide earlier:

"Tadow" by Masego & FKJ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwf5MpcuKDM

"The List" by Moonchild https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDvtvdoxJE

"Key to Love (Is Understanding)" by BADBADNOTGOOD feat. Jonah Yano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejx6t4U3SGo

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:57 am

LanceWalker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:52 am
Sorry about that, looks like I didn't make the song public. Does this work? https://www.taxi.com/my/artist/songs/go ... 1cQ-elated
Still doesn't work

LanceWalker

Post by LanceWalker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:32 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:57 am
LanceWalker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:52 am
Still doesn't work
Okay I can't see anything on the left side that I can copy for a link and paste here. So I just shared my profile since I've only submitted 3 songs so far, which are all submitted to this listing.
The song called "Elated" was the one I tried to share. Thanks for your patience guys!
https://www.taxi.com/members/lawmultimedia

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 am

It's working now. The main issue I'm getting is the ref tracks sound very organic but your track sounds like a bunch of chopped up samples, especially the keys part - it sounds a bit strange

LanceWalker

Post by LanceWalker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 am
It's working now. The main issue I'm getting is the ref tracks sound very organic but your track sounds like a bunch of chopped up samples, especially the keys part - it sounds a bit strange
I see, that is strange indeed. I play everything out all the way through with all the sounds. Maybe I need to play differently I guess? So the rhodes, piano, and bass all sound like chopped up samples?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:23 am

LanceWalker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
I see, that is strange indeed. I play everything out all the way through with all the sounds. Maybe I need to play differently I guess? So the rhodes, piano, and bass all sound like chopped up samples?
That's the vibe it's giving me - let some others see what they think.

LanceWalker

Post by LanceWalker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:26 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:23 am
LanceWalker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
That's the vibe it's giving me - let some others see what they think.
That's fair, thanks for the feedback!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi Lance, I really like the track. Love the chord work and the bass interplay, and the overall laid-back funky soul vibe. The keys playing is very tight (congrats if you played it that tight without editing, and perhaps that's the source of the 'samples' comment).

IMHO, the stick/snare sounds a bit too prominent, so could be turned down with maybe a hint of reverb to help sit it back. The end of the filter sweep at 1:19 is a bit peaky and pokes out of the mix. The other thing I noticed is a squeak (bird chirp?) at 11s, 21s, 33s, 43s, 1:40s, 1:49s, 2:01s and 2:11s. Sadly, I suspect that alone would be enough to scupper the submission.

However, I really like the rest, so good luck with the track, and if it doesn't get forwarded this time I sure it will find a home, perhaps with minor tweaking (and less squeaking ;)).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.