Learning to Mix

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RobRaede
Active
Active

Learning to Mix

Post by RobRaede » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 am

I've been using mixing engineers to handle those chores for most of my Taxi work, but sometimes they're booked up and there's a tight deadline, so I've been trying to do it myself with sort of ho-hum results. Anyone know of a good online mixing course?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Learning to Mix

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:50 am

There's loads, but here's a couple to investigate...

Joe Gilder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDzeY ... 6adQZ3oX8g

Graham Cochrane
https://www.recordingrevolution.com/
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

RobRaede
Active
Active

Post by RobRaede » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:17 pm

Thanks Joe and Graham. You're right, there are loads of them, thus the inquiry to try to narrow it down some.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:36 am

The trouble is, it's a bit like asking 'What's a good car?' It depends on what you want, need, and can afford. The training I suggested is very general and doesn't assume too much knowledge. You might want something more focused on your particular needs, or maybe based around your own DAW, or more mic-based recording of instruments and voices, or instrumental in-the-box compositions, free or paid, short or long duration, online at home or residential. If you're happy to investigate yourself based on the requirements that only you know, then you're best placed to choose something that makes sense to you based on your current knowledge and experience, and from a presenter that resonates with you. Alternatively, if you're more specific about where you are and what you'd like to know there might be people here that can help narrow your search.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:59 am

Hi Rob

Best way to learn is to do. With nowadays sources YT etc it has never been so easy to learn by doing. Mix as much as you possibly can and if you run into a problem or question look for the solution for that specific problem in YT or forums like this one. Do that for let‘s say 5 to 10 years and you will be delivering awesome mixes, promise! I think that’s the way that works best IMHO.

Good luck

Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:07 pm

The best resource I ever found is the book " Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio " by Mike Senior - Apart from a very systematic approach, it's also written for folks with studios like ours in our spare room and garages whereas other books I read seemed to assume I'd be working in a pro studio environment.

I recommend the Kindle format because it's easier to follow whilst at your DAW than a paper book. Hope that helps.

Mark

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:56 am

I've been a Soundfly subscriber for years, and can't recommend them enough. Great course content, and if you can afford it then you can add a mentor for feedback.