Leaves and Wings and Dreams

By popular demand...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

couchgrouch
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Leaves and Wings and Dreams

Post by couchgrouch » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:40 am

Leaves and Wings and DreamsMost leaves are made to witherfrom the redwood to the oakbut come the threat of autumnthey'll catch a wind and floatbut pines have bashful needleswhere they fall is where they lietheir roots have no will to wanderwhere they're born is where they diebut all in name, are not the samecos where we're from, is not who we must becomefrom sparrows to the eaglefeathers carry birds on highflight soon beckons to the fledglingthat his true nest is the skybut not all wings take to heaventhey're too weak to capture windthey curse the breeze while their brothersrise and soar and descendand all in name, are not the samecos where we're from, is not who we must becomethe painter and the poetlove the petals of the rosesomehow they burn even brighterwhen the artist's eyes are closedbut for other stillborn peoplebeauty stays trapped upon their eyetheir dreams have no rhyme or colortheir hearts never reach the skyand all in name, are not the samecos where we're from, is not who we must becomeit's not the branch where we first budor break shell in our mother's nestbut where we wing and dream and tumbleand fin'lly come to rest(c)2004 Robert George

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Leaves and Wings and Dreams

Post by gongchime » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:28 pm

>Leaves and Wings and DreamsThis title is not in the repeating part of the song where the title should be. The title of this song should probably be: "All in name, are not the same.">Most leaves are made to witherfrom the redwood to the oakbut come the threat of autumnthey'll catch a wind and floatThe hard ending consonants aren't working for me especially the word threat. Does anyone else feel the same way? >but pines have bashful needlesNo one would ever say that in a conversationwhere they fall is where they lietheir roots have no will to wanderPine needles don't have roots, sorry. >where they're born is where they dieNok they're born on the tree then they fall to the ground. >but all in name, are not the samecos where we're from, is not who we must becomefrom sparrows to the eagleFirst trees, now birds. Can you do that? I'm not sure. I think its called double metaphor or something.feathers carry birds on highflight soon beckons to the fledglingthat his true nest is the skybut not all wings take to heaventhey're too weak to capture windthey curse the breeze while their brothersrise and soar and descendI think this may make the singer look like a loser which is a no-no. Anyone else think so?and all in name, are not the samecos where we're from, is not who we must become>the painter and the poetlove the petals of the roseTrees, birds, painters, flowers. I'm so confused. I suspect its better to pick a metaphor and stick with it. >somehow they burn even brighterwhen the artist's eyes are closedbut for other stillborn peoplebeauty stays trapped upon their eyetheir dreams have no rhyme or colortheir hearts never reach the skyand all in name, are not the samecos where we're from, is not who we must becomeit's not the branch where we first budor break shell in our mother's nestbut where we wing and dream and tumbleand fin'lly come to restUsing a noun "wing" as a verb is an excellent practice and should always be encouraged. This is very creative indeed. (c)2004 Robert GeorgeReviewed by Gongchime.

couchgrouch
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Leaves and Wings and Dreams

Post by couchgrouch » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:50 am

thanks gongchime. the lyric doesn't have two metaphors...just one which is developed three ways. some trees have leaves that catch the wind, some don't. some birds catch the wind, some don't. and some people catch it and some don't. that theme is explained in the last four lines. I'm sorry the mention of birds, flowers and painters confused you. and the hard-ending consonants totally lost me, haha. I'm not sure why saying some birds fly and some don't makes the singer sound like a loser. pineneedles don't have roots but pines do and I don't think it's that much of a stretch. I certainly appreciate your critique.