Left handed and right handed songwriters

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Left handed and right handed songwriters

Post by jchitty » Wed May 09, 2007 2:04 am

Do you think being left handed or right handed influences the way you write songs, or do you think it's a load of malarky?

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Left handed and right handed songwriters

Post by edteja » Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 am

Well now that opens a bunch of questions, such as what a person is left handed but plays the instrument they write on right handedly. Of course I haven't seen many left-handed pianos. So the first question is what you mean by right or left handed. And you are unintentionally discriminating against the ambidextrous.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed May 09, 2007 3:24 am

Quote:Well now that opens a bunch of questions, such as what a person is left handed but plays the instrument they write on right handedly. Of course I haven't seen many left-handed pianos. So the first question is what you mean by right or left handed. And you are unintentionally discriminating against the ambidextrous.LOL, Ed. I totally forgot about the ambidextrious. Maybe we should start a support group for them.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed May 09, 2007 4:21 am

Quote:Do you think being left handed or right handed influences the way you write songs, or do you think it's a load of malarky? Let's see. Anything I use with one hand I do right-handed, such as writing with a pencil or swinging a tennis racket. Anything I throw (baseball, bowling ball) or use two hands for (batting, golf), I do left handed. Maybe that accounts for my indecision when trying to write music. Dave

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Wed May 09, 2007 4:31 am

Do you know anybody who owns a left-handed piano..... does it make a difference in sex whether you're right or left handed.... or your partner?? or does only size matter....?? is ther a difference between being left handed or lesdixxic..????

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed May 09, 2007 5:00 am

Quote:Do you think being left handed or right handed influences the way you write songs, or do you think it's a load of malarky? I'm always right.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed May 09, 2007 7:06 am

I kept on being told that left handed people were more creative and artistic.My opinion in that old wives tale. Absolute rubbish! At one time, schools forced left handed children to write with their right hands. So perhaps the saying came about because left handed children had to try harder and adapt in those days. In other words, they had to be creative because it was unnatural for them to write in that way. Today, however, they don't tie letfies hands behind their backs and force them to write with their right, so we are all equal. I'm a leftie myself. I play a standard guitar. It feels more natural for me to play the right handed guitar.Though I do have a few left handed instruments. A Kazoo and a Triangle.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 am

Quote:Quote:Do you think being left handed or right handed influences the way you write songs, or do you think it's a load of malarky? I'm always right.Haha, Vikki....you may just be 'right' all the time....seems like all the info you give us here is good stuff. Dave, considering the success you've had with TAXI, I guess you could use any hand, and it wouldn't matter how you arrive at your songs.Arkjack, that post of yours was naughty, but still funny. Jeffe, you touch upon a point that I was thinking about when I created the thread, but I didn't expound further. There has been some research about left handers...mainly that they use more from the opposite side of the brain (the right side of course) which is the more intuitive, artistic side. Right handers use more of the left sides of their brains supposedly, the side which governs analytical and mathematical thought. I don't know if this is bunk or not, I just know I've read an article about it. You know studies....sometimes, they don't mean a hill of beans.I was one of those left handers.. My teacher tried to make me righthanded by hitting my left hand with a ruler when I wrote with it.......my right hand it so weak, I really can't do much with it. Like you, my guitar teacher is left handed, so he taught me to play left handed as well....he said if he could do it, I could do it. That might be why my playing sucks, LOL. I've never had that much control of my right hand as far as my pick goes, but I'm getting better. At this stage of the game, I don't want to learn the other way though. Lefties statistically are supposed to be more accident prone though....thats because we have to use right handed can openers, knives, scissors....although they make left handed products now...I just use what I've always used. It's a right handed world.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed May 09, 2007 9:20 am

Oops, to clarify I also play a right handed guitar even though I'm a leftie.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Wed May 09, 2007 9:42 am

I know a dyslexic who plays a right-handed guitar strung upside down .... backwards.... with the back of her left hand.... she's always fretting about her nails.....