Lemonade - New Mix with Drums

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Lemonade - New Mix with Drums

Post by Mark Kaufman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:10 pm

Trying something a little different here...still needs lots of work. What does it need?http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... emonadeI'm on the runIn summer sunShe likes to take it easyI feel my thirstBut she comes firstAnd then it's cool and breezyI used to drink to feel all rightBut since she taught me day from nightIt's out of sightMy LemonadeShe's so sweetShe takes the heatAnd makes it into shady shadeWon't even thinkAbout a drinkJust want my LemonadeWhen I'm in painShe brings me rainWashes all the blues awayWhen I’m withdrawnShe pours it onSplashing colors on the grayI used to drink to feel all rightBut when she switches on the lightIt's out of sightMy Lemonade...I'm a roman candleGreat balls of fireWhen I'm afraidShe knows whyI get hard to handleWhen all I desireIs LemonadeMy Lemonade...So when I burnShe takes her turnSays she's my biggest fanWhen I'm hotShe hits the spotShe knows I'm just a thirsty manI used to drink to feel all rightNow I can tell the fight from flightIt's out of sightMy LemonadeShe's so sweetShe takes the heatAnd makes it into shady shadeDon't even thinkAbout a drinkJust want my LemonadeAnd if I blowShe slows the flowAnd when I see her fadeI hold her nearBeside the mirrorAnd kiss my LemonadeCopyright 2008 by Mark Kaufman

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Lemonade

Post by sgs4u » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:03 pm

This is wicked great man. The bridge shoop sounds are a little bit too much for me.I absolutely love the arrangement.nice going

feaker
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:34 pm

This is not a one nighter. Really good.Might be just me, but I hear a Beatle influence?Really like the back vox. (and yours of course)One word out of place.....she "flicks" on the lightClean.Good luck with this.Paul

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:25 am

Great!!! I think the whole song rocks and I hear a Beatle influence too (and dig it). I love the hook.Linzi Flicks- sparks?!

zoom
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by zoom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:21 am

Yep... definitely Beatles... and Elvis Costello too! This is a really cool piece, great instrumentation, vocals, etc.... and knowing that it was written in MN is the cherry on top (of the spoon). But since you're looking for more to do with this song....As far as critiques go, I think the big thing is that there doesn't seem to be a big differentiation between verse and chorus. It seems to me almost as if the chorus IS the verse... which seems really quirky to me... and maybe it's only because I'm trying to analyze it! Don't get me wrong... it isn't awkward or bad... just quirky. Then again, it's a retro 60's piece... so maybe quirky is the way to go!Also... the layering is REALLY SUPER THICK... but you knew that already! At times it makes perfect sense, and other times it seems a bit too much. Might want to peel back some of the layers at the beginning and then hit them all on the first chorus or second verse. The intro seems to have 2 solos going on with the bass and an electric... and the background vocals could probably use a different technique to make the sound wider and a little clearer -- they get a little mushy in the bridge. I think you're using a vocal effect for the background vocals... if so, you might want to see what a 3 part harmony does as opposed to 4. And maybe the bridge should be completely a cappella with more of an instrumental build into the solo? Breaking into the solo doesn't flow as well as the rest of the song...By the way... how big of a breath did you need to do some of those background vocals??? Hope that helps give you some ideas... but it's a really cool piece. Nice work so far, and I look forward to hearing any updates you do!

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 am

hell man,lennon and harrison just peeked out from that curtain of light and said "what he do in that prechorus--aaallllll riiiiiiiiiight, nice lift mate"great vibe, refreshing like....yep.my only problem is with a few of the lyrics that sound a bit forced, read them first and thought,uh oh, a bit corny. however, with music, they stand pretty well. i don't like "outta site", though it fits the vibe just fine, it makes my feel old as i am..., also not crazy about "shady shade", and a couple other lines but hell, got to pick at something.real good tune AGAIN, young man. i likey.the best,warren

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:46 am

Jul 1, 2008, 1:03am, sgs4u wrote:This is wicked great man. The bridge shoop sounds are a little bit too much for me.I absolutely love the arrangement.nice going LOL I forgot that shoop sound was still there...I meant to lose it, but I stayed up too late and I think I was eventually recording and mixing in my sleep.Thanks Steve. There will be a lot of changes here, and I'll probably take away more than I add. Although I will add real percussion. Nice to know the vibe works!Thanks, -Mark

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:48 am

Jul 1, 2008, 2:34am, feaker wrote:This is not a one nighter. Maybe not, but last night was close to an all-nighter. I sort of forgot to go to bed. Thanks Paul. Now that I hear it in the day there are many, many things to fix, but I'm glad you like it! -Mark

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:48 am

oh, sorrry,wanted to say i really LIKE the FX allot--only thing that bugged my ears (the right ones especially, you'll get it) did you mean to have the backing on the right side to be that far behind, seemed a bit distracting--i'd push it up a few, especially from about :08 through :23that's itwh

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 am

Jul 1, 2008, 4:25am, linziellen wrote:Great!!! I think the whole song rocks and I hear a Beatle influence too (and dig it). I love the hook.Linzi Flicks- sparks?!Actually "switches"...I forgot to re-type it. Think I'll fix it now just to confuse new viewers. Thanks Linzi! -mk