Let library collect mechanical royalties?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Let library collect mechanical royalties?

Post by pepeluis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 am

Hi Folks, just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue.
I am based in the UK and have some music signed to a very good LA based library who have got me some good placements over the last 10 years or so.
They have a relatively new amendment to their contract which I need to opt in or out of before submitting further material.
If I opt in it permits the library to collect the publisher share of non USA mechanical royalties and this could result in my receiving royalties that that I might have missed out on as there could be cases where publisher is required to collect the writer's share. At the moment I get a small amount of mechanicals from PRS/MCPS in the UK.
The library states that if it collects writer mechanicals it will pay them directly to the writer with no fee It states in the proposal that:

In cases where we have mistakenly received the writer's share of Digital Download and Streaming mechanicals of Audio only (i.e. Spotify, iTunes, etc),***** will pay you 100% of writer's and publisher's share of mechanicals without incurring an administration fee.

It is not an issue of not trusting the library as they have always been great on that front. if anyone has any experience of something similar, Has it resulted in more income?
Many thanks
José

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Let library collect mechanical royalties?

Post by pepeluis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello again folks,
thanks to those who read my last post, does anyone have any thoughts about the issue I raised?
The library I mentioned (not by name) has many taxi members signed to it who may have had to opt in or out of the same contract amendment regarding mechanical royalty collection, any thoughts, particularly from writers signed to this library, would be very helpful.
many thanks
Jose

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Let library collect mechanical royalties?

Post by pepeluis » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Hello again,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with the library I discussed at the start of my post?. If you have any tracks signed to thie libary in question then you should be familiar with the amendment to their standard contract and also with the library itself. I would really appreciate any thoughts if you have decided to opt in or out of the amendment and what your reasons were.
many thanks in advance
PepeLuis