Library Asking for Submissions Questions

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CamH132

Library Asking for Submissions Questions

Post by CamH132 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I received an email this morning from a music publisher who said that they received my submission from TAXI and asked to 'provide five tracks for consideration' as they are interested in hearing more.

The email didn't mention which Taxi listing was theres or what the songs were of mine that they received. What's the best way to go about asking them which listing was theres so that I know what songs I should send them for consideration?

Secondly, when they say 'provide five tracks for consideration' - should I include the songs that I originally submitted to the taxi listing, or should I send 5 new songs?

Cheers,
Cameron

PaulyB
Active
Active

Re: Library Asking for Submissions Questions

Post by PaulyB » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:42 pm

In my experience, the best policy is to reply with the very questions you posed here; just keep it short and sweet. BTW, you might want to confirm if they meant "Alt Mixes" vs new cues. They'll be fine with you asking for clarification.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:13 am

Just ask them what track they received from Taxi. Kinda bad form on their part not to have mentioned that in their email! Most of them do.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:38 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:13 am
Just ask them what track they received from Taxi. Kinda bad form on their part not to have mentioned that in their email! Most of them do.

~~Matt
Yes, definitely ask them.
I've had it happen where they don't mention what track but sent a out single bulk email (bcc) to all those who sent songs they liked. Yea, a little impersonal but heck, if it can land placements, OK.

:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:27 am

Sounds a bit impersonal :shock:

It reminds me of a time when Taxi were running listings for a Royalty Free Stock Music Library and the email from them was very generic - like they weren't after the specific tracks. They were just kinda scooping up anything they could. The email that went out didn't have any specific track info on it as they just mass emailed a bunch of people.

Hopefully it's not anything like that and is a legit library that are interested in you as a composer and not just a company hoovering up music to add to their pile. Obviously you have the name of the library and can do your research.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:19 am

This is what I call a "red flag." Proper communication is one of the foundational elements of running a business properly. Do some research on the library.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

CamH132

Post by CamH132 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:19 am

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Interesting to hear that a couple of you guys see the email as a bit of a red flag as I was already feeling pretty sceptical about the library after going through their website and social media.
From what I could see, they didn't seem like they would be a great fit for me or my music.

I ended up sending them 5 tracks anyway as I was curious to hear what they will say / what kind of deal they are looking to offer. If things look a bit more positive I will try and find out a bit more about them and what their intentions / expectations are for my music to see if they're worth signing anything to.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:20 pm

I have a spreadsheet with 1800 library names and any intel I've picked up from various places. Be happy to let you know via PM if I have anything on your library.

Mark

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:50 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:20 pm
I have a spreadsheet with 1800 library names and any intel I've picked up from various places. Be happy to let you know via PM if I have anything on your library.

Mark
The J Edgard Hoover of the library world :lol: :D

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:53 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:50 pm
The J Edgard Hoover of the library world :lol: :D
Yeah I tend to work in a vacuum