Library Catalogue

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

maceman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Library Catalogue

Post by maceman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:42 am

Hi All,Just curious how one get's their CD into the local library. Where i am, I can go online and search for cd's and such and have them delivered to the closest library, but how does one get into their database to start with.I had a letter sent from Archieves canada in which i was to send them a couple CD's of music published in Canada. I am not sure if that is related. Has anyone every tried to get their stuff in there?Thanx for any info,Maceman

maceman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Library Catalogue

Post by maceman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 am

I thought someone would maybe know...

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Do you mean how to get your CD into a local Public Library, or into a production music library?

maceman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by maceman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Suz,Local public libraries. I think there are 4 or 5 where i live, but I would like to get into other ones as well. You stimulated my interest in a production music library. I am unsure what that is or how to get in that either. Please explain.Cheers,Maceman

lboogie77
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lboogie77 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I have no clue on the public library thing. If you are looking to get into a "production library". You have come to right place. Chek out the listings that come out every 2 weeks and see what fits your musical prowess and submit. If it fits the bill, you will get an email or call from the listing party. More to it than that, but thats it in a small nutshell...HTH77

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:06 am

Production music libraries rent music to TV and film productions and share revenue with the writer/producers. There has been a huge expansion in the number of TV networks and cable series, both from the top down (broadcast and cable networks) and bottom up (webisodes) This is the pie many of us here at Taxi want a piece of. The Taxi TV and Film listings are a good indication of the kinds of tracks being bought and sold, and this is the best place to learn how to do that. HTH
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Hey Maceman et al. I'm just returning from a week out of town at a gig, but wanted to at least give you a quick answer about getting your work in public libraries. Most public libraries prefer to work with distributors, rather than deal with individual vendors, and prefer to get their info from several publications that review products/ publications etc. specifically for libraries. I have info on 3 such publications for getting ones movies/ videos reviewed by library distributors, but haven't researched getting CDs reviewed. Best bet is to go in and ask your friendly neighborhood librarians how it works. Let us know what you find out!Best regards,Suz

maceman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by maceman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:16 pm

mojo, Thanx for that info. I appreciate it. I think looking at the listing is a good start to see what they want!@suz, will do! I am thinking of going to the main branch and speaking to the director to see what needs to be done. I will definitely keep everyone posted.Cheers,Maceman

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey Maceman;Here's on distributor to libraries who specializes in Audio Visual materials (videos, CDs, etc.):http://www.theavcafe.com/ Our focus is on non-theatrical videos, DVD's, CD-ROM, music CD's and cassettes, and audio books, mainly titles reviewed from Library Journal, School Library Journal, Video Librarian, and Booklist.Submitting your CD for review to the above mentioned journals is the best place to start, then submitting them (w/ reviews) to AV Cafe . . . this should get your work out there to purchasers for libraries.Hope this helps.Suz