Library Contract

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ToddB

Library Contract

Post by ToddB » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Has anyone ever been asked to sign this kind of contract for an exclusive deal with a library?

COPYRIGHT TRANSFER. Artist hereby irrevocably transfers to Company one hundred percent
(100%) of Artist’s entire right, title, and interest throughout the world in perpetuity to the Recordings.

Thanks for any input
ToddB

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Library Contract

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:38 pm

ToddB wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm
Has anyone ever been asked to sign this kind of contract for an exclusive deal with a library?

COPYRIGHT TRANSFER. Artist hereby irrevocably transfers to Company one hundred percent
(100%) of Artist’s entire right, title, and interest throughout the world in perpetuity to the Recordings.

Thanks for any input
ToddB
Yes, there are some contracts like this. What it means is you are giving them your song forever and in turn, they will pay you 50% of revenue. It's not the most common form of music library contracts these days but there are some excellent libraries that do this. You should only sign if you are comfortable with the deal, having a good understanding of it up front. If you want to hold on to "your baby" and have more options for pitching it later on your own, it's not for you. However, if you feel you could write more songs just as good, this is just one of many in your career, it could very much be worth a shot.

Was this the result of a Taxi forward? Does the library name start with the letter B? If so, they are a solid library. BUT again, you have to be sure this is the right deal for you and your song.

:D Good luck!
Casey

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Congrats on the offer! And, what Casey said. I've signed exclusive agreements with such a provision with good libraries.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:24 pm

I sign over the copyright to nearly every piece of music I sign to a library.

~~Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:17 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:24 pm

~~Matt
I don't even check :shock:

ToddB

Post by ToddB » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:44 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:24 pm

~~Matt
Good to know. Thanks for the input!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:28 am

I think it would also be important to state that this type of contract is regarded a problem in many business groups, as it should not be necessary to sign over your copyright in order to be represented by a library, nor get your music placed in media.

So, while these types of deals are all too common (now), they are also signs of a business gone desperate where everyone tries to push it as far as they can. In all fairness, you need to know that there are two sides of this coin, some composers and artists would never sign a contract like that, which I happen to believe is smart.

There are arguments on both sides of that fence. So explore all you can, and make informed decisions of how far you will stretch in order to collect those cents.

Justmy2c
Ceo of my own life