Library contract

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Library contract

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:26 pm

I just received a contract from a library. According to the terms it is perpetuity a 50-50 split. What happens if they don't promote it. Is this a standard contract or is it typical for people to make changes on them such as an ending date instead of perpetuity.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Library contract

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:07 am

Yes, those are typical terms of a standard deal.
No, its not typical to expect a library to change their terms. They can simply choose other composers.
If they don't promote the track they won't earn any money from it, so although there's no guarantee it will ever get used you can expect that they will try. Remember that its just one track in what could be a massive catalogue.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:11 am

50/50 is standard in my experience.

I've had forever contracts and 10 year contracts. I've never had reason to ask for changes, but you can always ask!

If they don't promote it, your tracks won't sell and you won't get any/many royalties - but it a long game. The earliest tracks I got into a library (about 12 years ago) are still earning now - only a small amount per month...but when you add it up over 12 years, it's a really surprisingly large amount. I was disappointed in the first year as not much happened (and actually did the worst possible thing....stopped because it didn't seem worth it).

It's far more likely that you will earn nothing in the first year - but ten years down the line those tracks will still be trickling money in.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:51 am

SusanAnnNorberg wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:26 pm
What happens if they don't promote it.
They won't earn any money and neither will you so they have a vested interest
SusanAnnNorberg wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:26 pm
Is this a standard contract or is it typical for people to make changes on them such as an ending date instead of perpetuity.
That's standard...there are worse deals out there. If you don't like the standard terms they will likely pass rather than change them for one person.

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:36 am

Thanks all. I'll sign. Got my first contract. My Christmas Song.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:01 am

but you can always ask
I would advise against even asking. I've had this discussion with numerous library owners that are now my friends, and they say this very question is one of the biggest turn-offs they can get from new composers. Some will just cast the composer aside the moment they ask this question. Not only is this a "take it or leave it" contract offer, but it raises big rookie red flags if you ask to make contract changes. It's easier to just pass on you and move on to the next person.

~~Matt

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:18 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:01 am
I would advise against even asking. I've had this discussion with numerous library owners that are now my friends, and they say this very question is one of the biggest turn-offs they can get from new composers. Some will just cast the composer aside the moment they ask this question. Not only is this a "take it or leave it" contract offer, but it raises big rookie red flags if you ask to make contract changes. It's easier to just pass on you and move on to the next person.

~~Matt
And THIS is why Matty V is the legend that he is. ;) #micdrop
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:10 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:01 am
but you can always ask

~~Matt
This is a fair point - in retrospect my experience of chatting about these things has been with record label owners, not music libraries...different breed and not relevant here...should have kept my trap shut on that one!

steveprobst
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by steveprobst » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:53 am

Thanks for asking the question Susan and congrats on your first contract.
An informative thread for me. I've signed a few contracts and never asked to have things changed.
Steve Probst

===========================
Songwriter/Composer
Touring Vocalist/Guitarist
http://SteveProbst.net
https://soundcloud.com/steveprobst