Library Letdown .. At least it's not just me

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Library Letdown .. At least it's not just me

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Danny wrote:Without using names, does anyone know if it's the library that requests you have your own publishing company?
Not as far as I'm aware..contracts were signed without mention of this.

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:51 pm

It's incredibly disrespectful to be put writers through something like this. It costs time, money and hopes are lifted. VERY unprofessional. Guess they slipped through the TAXI cracks...I feel very safe dealing with libraries and publishers who list with TAXI. I would like to see what Michael has to say about this..so many of you affected!

Best,
Linda C

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:52 am

Tunesmith wrote:I would like to see what Michael has to say about this..so many of you affected!
I know , makes you wonder how many that don't make use of the forums had the same thing happen to them.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 am

It's definitely not the publishing company requirement guy. It's someone that is very driven, very busy, and very ADD...
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I think you guys know we vet the companies we work with pretty rigorously. But, what's impossible for us to do is regulate or control the actions of companies or people who work at them on an ongoing basis.

I reached out to this library owner several months ago after some complaints came in about him not getting back to people after initially contacting them, or in some cases, offering contracts. Regarding the particular situation I contacted him about, he told me that somebody had "hijacked a brief and sent him a huge number of tracks that fit what he needed, and it was easier to deal with one person rather than many." That was paraphrased, but pretty close to a quote. I had no idea what "hijacking a brief" meant.

While I understood his logic, I didn't think he handled the situation the way I would have. But it's his business! I can't force him to act a certain way, or run his business in a fashion that I would choose. This publisher has had a lot of placements, and I know some TAXI members who have ongoing relationships with him and continue to work with him and make money.

I'm not going to comment on personalities, business ethics, or whether or not anybody has ADD (as commented above) or not.

I HAVE seen several cases of composers starting their own libraries because they're getting more opportunities than they can field on their own. We rarely work with them if they are in start up mode. Maybe a couple of times in 25 years. I'm happy to report that the start ups we chose to work with have been successful. We chose them because they had strong work ethics and we asked them to only do non-exclusive deals in case things didn't go well.

Often times, and over time, composers-turned library-owners discover that the paper work, accounting, data entry, hand-holding, curating, reaching out and pitching is far more work than they anticipated. It's too much work for one person, and most of the composers-turned-libraries can't afford or won't spend the money to hire extra staff. My observation is that when they begin to make solid income, it's emotionally difficult to invest $30,000 - $50,000 a year back into the company to hire a person or two to do the work necessary to sustain and grow.

As a bootstrapping entrepreneur, you need to be prepared to pay others for a couple of years before you pay yourself. Been there, done that, and it's hard to couch surf for quarters when your employees get paid every week. But, it's usually what needs to happen.

If they don't hire people to grow the company, they have to find ways to maximize their income while doing the least amount of non-pitch-related work. Lack of follow up, follow through, and un-returned calls and emails are often the end result.

So, while I wish I could could make a phone call or send an email and get the library owner in this case to do the right thing, I can't. His response to my last email was less than wonderful.

BTW, his was NOT one of the companies we chose to work with while he was in start up mode. He was already fully functional with a small catalog and many placements under his belt. This is a rare circumstance, and the only "crime" has been indicating his intent to work with people, then not following through. To the best of my knowledge, he has not actually ripped anybody off.

As some of you have stated, there have been some interactions that have been less-than-professional, but sadly, there's no way to predict or control those things. I wish I was omnipotent, but alas, I'm not. ;-)

best,
Michael

P.S. Just a minor heads up: Music library owners are not typically called "librarians" by industry professionals.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks Michael for responding to this, totally understand it's not on TAXI the way things panned out on this one. There's no Crystal Ball, all you can do is your due diligence and trust the other parties act in good faith.

My main reason for the original post was because I'm still pretty new to this and initially thought I must have done something wrong or screwed up somehow...or perhaps my expectations of the timeline was wrong, but after a while and having heard mention of it from other members experiencing similar situations I realised it wasn't me. Agree that folks can run their business any way they choose..." Do unto others as you would have them do unto you " is my go to position and has served me well in my career.

Appreciate you filling us in on how these things can turn out when composer turns library owner - It makes more sense when you put it like that.

Mark

Belated P.S
admin wrote: I had no idea what "hijacking a brief" meant.
Me neither but I now think it means the same as I found on a Youtube Video when I entered "Steal the brief " into their search box.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks Michael for updating everyone.

Just wanted to say that I know of 2 libraries started by Taxi composers which are yielding placements and payments for folks. There are some really good people out there hustling to make money for composers as well as themselves. Yes, growing a business over the years is VERY challenging but I did want to put in a nice word :D for some of our very own who have libraries making a good start. (Please do not PM me for names!! Ain't gonna happen!!!)

Best to all!
:D Casey

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:22 pm

I sort of admire this particular person chutzpah.

Kinda Trump like - a loose connection with that "what you say today is also supposed to apply tomorrow kinda" stuff.

He is a hustler

Have to love his youtube episodes as guru on music licensing - basically they are about not to behave like he did on this thread !!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm

SubRivers wrote:I sort of admire this particular person chutzpah.

Kinda Trump like - a loose connection with that "what you say today is also supposed to apply tomorrow kinda" stuff.

He is a hustler

Have to love his youtube episodes as guru on music licensing - basically they are about not to behave like he did on this thread !!
Did I miss something? Are you referring to the library owner in question or someone else?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm

I think we're treading on dangerous ground on this thread now. Taxi doesn't want the names of libraries or their owners on the forum and the information posted may be getting a little close there. Also, mentioning a political person's name is never a good idea because it invites political debate, something Taxi also doesn't want on here.

JMHO... My 2 cents.

Best,
:D Casey