library starting with a ending with x...

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

library starting with a ending with x...

Post by neuphoria » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:52 am

anyone had any experience with a music library whose name starts with an A and ends with the third last letter of the alphabet? had a couple tracks forwarded via taxi to this co., and i have to say it looks like (yet another) less-than-stellar taxi lead... i would be happy to be corrected... pls. post if you've had a good experience (that is, made money) w/the aforementioned co.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: library starting with a ending with x...

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:51 am

Quote:anyone had any experience with a music library whose name starts with an A and ends with the third last letter of the alphabet? had a couple tracks forwarded via taxi to this co., and i have to say it looks like (yet another) less-than-stellar taxi lead... i would be happy to be corrected... pls. post if you've had a good experience (that is, made money) w/the aforementioned co.HiHow do you know it is less than stellar? Is it because you Googled the name and didn't see much? A big factor with music libraries is the contract they offer you. At this point, it's just a forward, so that is all moot. If it's a startup without a lot of placement history and they offer you a non-exclusive contract, you might have nothing to lose.I agree that some forwards are to better companies than others. But getting forwards means that your music has merit, so keep at it! Casey

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 pm

songs have already been accepted. standard contract. co's not a startup but...they sell everything from 'songs' to loops & fx so seems like the wal-mart of music libraries. they say they have lots of placements but don't name particulars. just seeing if anyone else can confirm/deny my assessment.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Quote:songs have already been accepted. standard contract. co's not a startup but...they sell everything from 'songs' to loops & fx so seems like the wal-mart of music libraries. they say they have lots of placements but don't name particulars. just seeing if anyone else can confirm/deny my assessment. well then simply ask them...* how many placements (on which oppurtunities) did they have in the last 9 months?* check how large their catalogue is* compare these two parameters...and you should be able to have a more detailed picture relating your question.and remember: music libraries usually aren't "the fast buck". meaning it will take some time (a year is not unusual) until your song is on a cd, get's out to the customers, etcpatience!Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Quote:songs have already been accepted. standard contract. co's not a startup but...they sell everything from 'songs' to loops & fx so seems like the wal-mart of music libraries. they say they have lots of placements but don't name particulars. just seeing if anyone else can confirm/deny my assessment. Hi newph, I agree with Martin, ask them to provide a list of recent (music) placements (within the last year or so) and ask them what the size of their catalog is (unless you can figure it out yourself).No company should have a problem providing you with this information if they're hoping to represent your music.If they won't provide it...I'd look elsewhere.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:56 pm

Most successful libraries are proud to tell you their placements in TV, film, advertising, etc, assuming that is their target. Is it an exclusive agreement? If not, it might be worth considering anyway. But I think your main point was concern over the quality of the TAXI leads. Have you submitted to "higher bar" listings and did you get forwards? I am not a current member, but I remember a mix of listings, some "high bar", some lower. Do you belong to Dispatch? That's where a lot of the best film/TV and library leads are.I am not jumping in here to defend TAXI. I think I need more information to understand your concern and questions. CheersCasey

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:05 pm

In regards to the "quick buck" comment, not to be particularly contrarian, but I recently got a nice deal with a smaller library that paid a decent sum of cash up front. Enough to pay all my bills for months. The whole process took less than a month from the time I contacted them.

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:04 pm

multiple reasons for posting; first was to see if anyone who has music in libraries has experienced good/bad with this particular one, before i contact the library itself. ( i'm sure other taxi members have been forwarded to this co. recently. it's non-exclusive, so nothing to lose, certainly for b-side instrumental tracks anyway... )but that brings me to the second point for posting, you're right casey i still have a concern over the quality of taxi leads. of the 40+ forwards i've had there's only been three or four contacts for placements; an indie tv series that had no music budget; a smaller music library, and this online music library.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Quote:multiple reasons for posting; first was to see if anyone who has music in libraries has experienced good/bad with this particular one, before i contact the library itself. ( i'm sure other taxi members have been forwarded to this co. recently. it's non-exclusive, so nothing to lose, certainly for b-side instrumental tracks anyway... )but that brings me to the second point for posting, you're right casey i still have a concern over the quality of taxi leads. of the 40+ forwards i've had there's only been three or four contacts for placements; an indie tv series that had no music budget; a smaller music library, and this online music library. For most people, 3-4 contacts from 40+ forwards is a very good percentage. Many people, including myself, had many forwards and no contacts at all. Regarding the indie TV, small library, and the online one, a lot depends on where you are in your career. Some would beg for those opportunities. Others who have already made more of a mark with their music might feel like you do. I'm doing a number of placements in indie films for little or no money, credit only... And I am thrilled to be getting out there at all. Of the 40+ forwards you have had, how many were to what are commonly called "high bar" listings? e.g. more successful libraries, film/TV supervisors for networks, recording artists, etc... If you are also getting forwards for some of these, you are getting a chance to pitch your music in places you might not otherwise have access to.I don't recognize the name of the company from your "letters". If I did, I'd certainly tell you if I knew anything about them. Casey

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi newph,We were also contacted by this company you're talking about. The first time was a couple of months ago so I thought I would give it a try. I agree with your assesment of the company 100%. Their web design seems kind of unprofessional to me which always makes me question the success of the business. But it seemed harmless enough, so I uploaded a few tracks to the site. Just recently they contacted us again because of more songs forwarded to them from taxi. I'm deciding whether to bother putting more on the site or not. After checking the stats for the original songs I uploaded there, we had no plays of the songs. Could be the nature of the songs I posted or could be that the library isn't popular. At the moment doesn't seem like any harm is being done and I can take the music off the site at any time, so while music is just sitting around here, I don't mind having at least a few on this website. I have a feeling nothing will pan out with it, but at the moment this is a no-risk sort of thing. Let me know what you decide and if you do have any success with them. btw congrats on the deals, every lit bit is something that moves you forward.-Theresa