library

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mactheneck

library

Post by mactheneck » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi there.I've been hearing and watching things about "Libraries" lately. I still don't quite get it. My question is, when a song gets forwarded by taxi, does it automatically go into a music library or do you have to wait to hear from the company that they have accepted it into their library?I realise, the fact, that it can take quite a while to hear from the company, but that doesn't mean my song is not in the library, does it?And furthemore, if this particular song is NOT used for the project I was pitching, does it remain within the library for other potential projects? Thanks ahead. Richard

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: library

Post by gitarrero » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:06 pm

hi,a music library is basically a company who has a large selection of tracks in lots of genres. all tracks are pre-cleared, so if a tv-company needs music the library is able to give it to the tv-comp without asking the composer before doing so.if a song gets forwarded by taxi to a library listing (not all taxi-listings are from libraries) than taxi is "out of the game". it's all up on the music library (or whoever the listing-party is) if they contact you.taxi pre-screens the songs for the listing party. this has the big advantage that the listing party doesn't get all that crap (pardon...) that some people send in (..believe me, I had once a listing as a producer with another company than taxi - I get tons of songs, about 85% where completely off target...).all the best.martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

mactheneck

Post by mactheneck » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:28 am

Thank you Martin.

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:33 am

Everything that Martin said, just remember, you music will not be in any library (or used for anything) until you sign a contract allowing it to be used.Rob

mactheneck

Post by mactheneck » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:49 pm

Thanks Rob. But things are still a little obfuscated (or I still got my wires crossed). How do I contact a library? Via Taxi? Richard

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Quote:Thanks Rob. But things are still a little obfuscated (or I still got my wires crossed). How do I contact a library? Via Taxi? RichardThere are music libraries that you can contact directly -- like, for example, Pump Audio -- and submit your music to them without going through Taxi at all. But, if a library contacts Taxi, and Taxi sends out a listing for them, and you submit to that listing, you can't contact the library itself, because you have no way of knowing which library the listing is for.If your song gets forwarded to the library, however, you might be able to figure out how to contact the company directly (although it's not recommended you do so for reasons I won't go into here), because Taxi does give you the name of the company at that time.Getting your song forwarded to a library doesn't mean that your song will be accepted, though. Only if the library contacts you directly will you know if the song has been accepted into their library, and even then, it's only official after you sign a contract with them.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:28 am

Quote:Thanks Rob. But things are still a little obfuscated (or I still got my wires crossed). How do I contact a library? Via Taxi? RichardThis isn't "library specific", you can apply this to record labels, publishers, etc. Some only take submissions from "trusted sources", places like Taxi, music attorneys and/or agents, etc. So in that case, contacting them directly does no one any good.Others accept outside submissions and their "rules" for accepting and processing submissions varies from place to place. If they have a website (some of the really high end libraries don't so that's not always an indications of quality), submission procedures will be on there. When in doubt, sending an email or snail mail request for submission (always enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for their reply) is the way to go. Go to your local bookstore and look for a book called "Songwriter's Market". You don't have to buy it. Just reading through it will really answer a lot of questions without a bunch of legal lingo. It has a lot of info about the process of getting your music in front of people/companies that matter. Plus it has a lot of contact info and submission policies for a wide variety of companies. The main thing you can take away, if nothing else, is to see the variety of submission policies from place to place. It gives you a better sense of how to approach these people and what kinds of things you can expect.As I've mentioned in many posts (and others have as well), I submit through Taxi as well as on my own outside of Taxi. HTH,Dave

mactheneck

Post by mactheneck » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Thank you Kevin, thank you Dave.That helped. I checked out the mentioned Pump Audio and now, of course would like to know about others. I google and found only rumblefish. I'm shure there are more (nonsongshark) companies. Can you recommend any? Thanks ahead. Richard

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Quote:Thank you Kevin, thank you Dave.That helped. I checked out the mentioned Pump Audio and now, of course would like to know about others. I google and found only rumblefish. I'm shure there are more (nonsongshark) companies. Can you recommend any? Thanks ahead. Richardit's not allowed to post names of companies on this board, it's a rule here.if you google you can easely find tons of them.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

mactheneck

Post by mactheneck » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:07 am

You've been a real help Martin. Thanks again. Richard