Light Acoustic S210323AP

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Light Acoustic S210323AP

Post by AlanHall » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:15 am

Anybody else notice that the ref tracks "gotten directly from the client" are all in G major? Is this an indication that they want to be able to seamlessly put cues together for corporate video (or whatever) and expect the keys to match? In this case, would cues not in G (or a near key) be a bad idea?

Whaddya think?

kazaraki
Active
Active

Re: Light Acoustic S210323AP

Post by kazaraki » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Haven't noticed but I'll keep an ear open for those type of reference tracks. I actually heard that generally it's better to make tracks that are in a different key from the reference tracks so they don't sound like clones. So I think it would be fine not to do it in the key of G. Also I think what's more important than key is where the lowest and highest notes are in the frequency range of your song and that they don't make the mix sound bad.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:25 pm

It could well be that for "light acoustic guitar" cues, the composer of the ref tracks really liked the grips they got in that key. I can agree with that ;)

I confess I don't understand
"lowest and highest notes are in the frequency range of your song"
can you elaborate, please?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Upon further research into the "vibe" of this listing, they are asking for us to "Please submit modern Pop Instrumental Cues with light, acoustic-based instrumentation" (emphasis mine).
I did listen to a few current Pop songs. I analyzed and took notes on the rhythmic and melodic construction. While I did find some that definitely fit the
criteria of "lots of fun, carefree energy" I did not think that they had much in common with the ref tracks. So I end up in the quandary that I feel is my newbie paradox:

[When] does the text of the listing override the feel/vibe of the ref tracks when the listing asks for something different than the refs? If I believe that the listing is correct about wanting "a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them" then nothing I heard in the "modern Pop" world would be on that list. Modern Singer-songwriter, modern Americana, maybe. But not "modern Pop".

So does Taxi expect submissions like the ref tracks, or more like "modern Pop"? The reason I am sensitive to this right now is that I've gotten a few recent returns that indicated the text of the listing was actually more important than the feel/vibe of the ref tracks. When should I veer one direction or the other?

Anybody with experiences to share?
Last edited by AlanHall on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:43 pm

OK, here's the listing for those playing along at home:

LIGHT ACOUSTIC POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an EXCLUSIVE Music Library that's connected with many TV Production Companies and Showrunners!
IMPORTANT NOTE: This company is brand new to requesting music from TAXI's members, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This is a great opportunity to create a new outlet for your music and begin a new relationship with an awesome company!
This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:
Instrumental Reference #1
Instrumental Reference #2
Instrumental Reference #3
Please submit modern Pop Instrumental Cues with light, acoustic-based instrumentation (Acoustic Guitar, light Percussion, Glockenspiel, etc.) and lots of fun, carefree energy. Your production should be polished and feature well-crafted melodies and a happy-go-lucky rhythm and overall vibe. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that any virtual instruments you use sound high-quality and fresh – nothing dated or low-quality will work, here.
All submissions should be at least 90 seconds long, and can run up to 2 minutes (a little bit longer is fine). Well-crafted, buttoned/stinger endings are required – do NOT submit anything with faded endings. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021. TAXI # S210323AP

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:33 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:04 am
AlanHall wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:40 pm
When should I veer one direction or the other?

Anybody with experiences to share?
How I think about it is: Stay clear if unclear. The ball is in TAXI's court on unclear listings.

Tom
Ouch! I mean, well said! :lol:
I think part of my problem is a presumed familiarity on my part regarding the genres/styles referenced. I fail to gather what the listing really wants on a regular basis. Back to the ol' Spotify playlists for me, then.

Off topic: did you see the listing for rennaissance faire music?

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:04 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:46 am
AlanHall wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:33 am
Off topic: did you see the listing for rennaissance faire music?
:D I thought of you (and my 3-y old piece) when I saw it - almost commented to you on it. BUT: The refs are very far from what I got and mine is an instrumental. So, I got to wait... but it is getting closer. :)

Tom
Tom,

Just got a Dispatch listing looking for "Original Medieval/Renaissance Faire Instrumentals".... either this listing is a targeted ruse to get you to join Dispatch (if you're not already in it) or this is your ticket! :)

Ted