Light instrumental - mixing help & feedback needed

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jamesm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Light instrumental - mixing help & feedback needed

Post by jamesm » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Hello, all. Well, it took me a few months to get to the point where I could put something up online. I have a little 30-second commercial background idea I'm working on - simple music, just trying to learn my new Tracktion 3 software and EWQL Gold, and learning some mixing techniques along the way.Any feedback as to viability of this as background music for an ad, for example, and any pointers on, well, anything would be appreciated. Hummingbird may be working with me tomorrow on some polishing up, so please consider this the "before" version:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... anks!James (Mitchell)

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Light instrumental - mixing help & feedback ne

Post by timbehrens » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Hey there James. Cool song. I really like the feel. Makes me think of clouds for some reason. I'm new to this, so I don't have a lot to offer, but I did notice that there is a higher, melodic part that comes in at about :16 that is really great. I wonder if, for a 30 sec clip, that should come in sooner? Seems like the whole thing has a lot more movement with the higher end to balance what the clarinet and bassoon are doing. Best wishes and good luck with the tune.

jamesm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jamesm » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks for the fast feedback, Tim! I was just checking to make sure the link actually worked and I find something already posted. Wow... thanks for checking it out!I'll fiddle with bringing in something higher earlier and see how it sounds. Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Much appreciated.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:42 pm

james,Very nice! I can hear this behind a number of different short commercial applications. Not trying to be funny or anything, but the first thing that comes to mind is one of those toilet tissue commercials, where the animated bears are makin' a fuss about the softness and feel of the tissue. Or maybe some kind of baby commercial. The reason I choose these scenarios, is because of the softness and tenderness of the tune. But I'm sure there's others. These are just what come to mind. Good job!ibanez468

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bmete » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:34 am

Hi James,Nice work, I enjoyed it, light and happy was the feel I got from it.The only thing my ear ( totally my personal taste) was wanting was an oboe in the background sustaining a nice whole tone behind the melody lines. Good luck with it, I'm sure Hummingbird will be of great help getting it to the finish line.Bob

jamesm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jamesm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:33 am

Hi, ibanze468. Toilet tissue seems like a good match to me, too. Thanks for the comments.Hi, bmete. I've tried remixing a bit and pulling the sustained strings up a bit. That might satisfy the need for a sustained tone. Thanks for the listen and the suggestion.After a great session over the internet with Hummingbird and some really good tips, a little remixing was done last night. I think it's clearer-sounding now.James

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 am

Hey James, sounding much better! The clarinet definitely leads the pack, so to speak. There is another instrument playing counterpoint in the first 15 secs, I think it might be an oboe - it seems just a little too powerful, I'd drop it back just a tick as I think it's causing a slight buzz around 12secs. One other thought - I like the bright ending... how about starting with something like that so that there's a definite character established right from the start? And then... go write the next one H'bird PS - if you were targetting the 'contemporary light/comedic instrumentals' listing, they do say they want high energy/exciting. But save this one because I'm sure you'll find a home!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jamesm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jamesm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:27 am

Thanks for the feedback, Vikki. That counterpoint instrument is a bassoon. I'll try backing it off a little.I wasn't trying for the comedic instrumentals... yet. This was just a learning exercise on EWQL Gold and Tracktion. I feel like I'm not stumbling around so badly with Tracktion now, thanks to you. Maybe the next one will be a try at the comedic listing. Thanks again.James

jamesm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jamesm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 am

Quote:One other thought - I like the bright ending... how about starting with something like that so that there's a definite character established right from the start? You and Tim both mentioned this. I wanted to double-check my thinking on this. I'm assuming that many commercials take the format of "problem/solution" (Claritin, for example). I was thinking that the "thinner", darker sound at the beginning would allow for a transition to the second half of the commercial.Is this a good plan or do you think that's overthinking the whole thing?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 am

With instrumental music for film/tv it's important to set the mood right away and not "grow" into things. I have this problem myself, as I always want to write a 'verse' before the 'chorus'. So I often let myself write the 'verse' & the 'chorus'... and then I move things around so I start with the 'chorus'. So I take my A B and make it B A and maybe add another B at the end with some added counterpoint.In this case the true feeling of the piece is in the end, so I would do something similar right at the beginning... as tho to say 'yes, this is light & frothy and has a happy ending'H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website