Limiting, Compressing and Equalizing

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Limiting, Compressing and Equalizing

Post by horacejesse » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:11 pm

<try changing your MP3 to a 96kbps,>How do I do that? I mean I would probably find it myself, but that could take a long time when asking is so simple.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:15 pm

When you convert your wav file to an mp3, change the settings so the mp3 is 96 kbps instead of 128 kbps (or whatever your default is). That's assuming you've been trying to upload mp3s.Generally speaking, when I have a song I'm uploading, I create two mp3 versions, a 192kbps mp3 for broadjam and a 96 kbps for Myspace or other pages.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Vikki,Is that because of a dial up connection? I used to have a myspace page and used 192 kbps (I think I did, anyway. The memory is the first thing to....).
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:03 pm

Bird, as soon as you drag me kicking and screaming from the quicksand I am right back in. I tried 192, 96 and 64. None does the trick. I get all the way up to 30% with 64.I've had it. White flag.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Ed - I don't know, I just find I get errors with MySpace if the files are too large. It seems to be happy with 96k. 192k seems to work for other sites.Horace - I would suggest it's your server. It may not be happy with transmitting large files. However, MySpace has technical problems from time to time & you might try again in a couple days. Have you tried uploading on any other sites? Broadjam has a free membership, as does Soundclick and Mixposure.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:02 am

I will not be able to upload any of my songs to MySpace, BroadJam, etc., according to my ISP.This sounds bogus to me, but this is what they say. I am on dial-up and they say dial-up will not handle the load. They said I could get their broadband dial-up package, but that still would not handle the load. It would just be a little faster for pages cached on their site.They are not one of the giant ISP's. I wonder if a bigger company could gaurantee me anything?I am really peeved at them anyway. I have been paying them $18.56 per month for about five years. As soon as I called them today and started complaining, they immediately offered to cut my monthly bill in half. "Oh, sir, you are paying the old rate."Come to find out I could have been paying the half rate for years. It was available but they don't tell you a thing until they think they are going to lose you.That really peeves me. There ought to be a law. I wonder if I have any legal recourse? They should give me free service for about 2 or 3 years, the way I see it. I am sure they see it differently though.So that's about where it stands. No songs for Horace.If anyone can think of a solution I sure would like to hear it.Thanks to those that tried to assist me.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:05 pm

Horace, that sounds like BS to me. I'm on (unlimited) dial-up and upload & download clips all the time - mp3s, apes, wmas, the lot. (Sure it takes a little longer, but I find I can be playing in my recording programme while I'm uploading/downloading...Sounds like they're trying to sell you a bill of goods -- or their server can't handle the load and so they are BS-ing. I *never* heard of broadband not being able to handle audio files!?Hummin'bird

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:57 pm

Quote:This sounds bogus to me, but this is what they say. I am on dial-up and they say dial-up will not handle the load. They said I could get their broadband dial-up package, but that still would not handle the load. It would just be a little faster for pages cached on their site.What they might be saying is that even though your file is uploading, because of the fact that it's uploading on dialup and taking a LONG time that you're getting "timed out". Basically their servers think that nothing is happening or that you're "stuck" and so the server dutifully resets the connection, thereby screwing up your upload.Take your song over to someone with a broadband connection like cable or DSL and see if you can't upload your song succesfully. I'd be willing to bet that you would be successful in that situation.I guess it depends on where you live but here in Cape Girardeu, broadband from our cable company ROCKS. Our other choice is DSL and it's nowhere near as fast or reliable.Dave

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Yo, Dave,They've already lost me anyway. Anytime a company pulls that shit on me they are gone. I am disgusted with these idiots whether they are currently lying to me or not.I suspect their is something wrong on their end and they are trying to make it look like it is a normal occurence. Yeah , normal for them.I will be talking to some other ISP's soon.But you know me--I will not go gently into that good night. First I will threaten all kinds of lawsuits. If nothing else I will make sure the liar on the other end of the phone gets ulcers. I guess I can't even do that. They know now that ulcers are caused by bacteria. There seems to be no satisfaction to be had.

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:36 pm

A web form "file upload" won't work real well (or at all) with large files over a dial-up...web servers have a "time out" directive, and are typically set for a pretty quick time out. Basically, unless a server has been configured for a long time out (yousendit.com has a pretty long timeout, as they're expecting large file uploads) a large transfer over a slow connection will be cancelled, as the entire transfer takes too long to complete. It really doesn't have anything to do with your ISP. FTP might work over a dial-up, but that's not an option with myspace.I've never had any problems with Broadjam, but I often have trouble uploading to Myspace, even with broadband.