Limiting, Compressing and Equalizing

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Limiting, Compressing and Equalizing

Post by horacejesse » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:55 am

A solo instrumental I recorded a while back has some notes that stick out uncomfortably. At low volume they are not disturbing, but as the volume goes up they disrupt the serenity they were meant to serve.This piece is hard for me to perform and I pretty much nailed it on this take except for the notes that stick out. It is played on guitar using artificial harmonics technique, which means looking down steeply at the fretboard at all times. I have a disablity which makes this unpleasant and, after a while, downright painful. To re-record it, I have to re-learn it, reconstructing each step. This takes a while, and so does recording it, since it has to be done in one continuous take, and there are always a lot of non-perfect takes playing guitar harmonics. One ugly click instead of a chime, and it is back to square one.What I mean is, I suspect this track can be made to sound the way I want it to with proper handling.The harmonics are meant to feedback over each other without distortion and sustain a long time. The notes in question simply do their jobs too enthusiastically, peaking offendingly above their communities.Many of you folks on the forum could solve this one. I've got to do it though, so I would appreciate any helpful advice.I understand in theory how I should be able to go after those peaks with a compressor or possibly a limiter on mixdown and squash them back into the mix where I want them, but so far my efforts have not cut them back sufficiently and I can't figure out why.Any suggestions, anyone?