Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Listener ID: 419

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:42 pm

OK, now I've heard the NIN track

Fairly different vibe to what you have come up with IMHO. What I take them to mean when they say " pulsing " is not just the bass part which you've done but the the other main part which comes in around 20s on the version that Youtube DID allow me to watch.

The key difference I am picking up is the main part of the NIN sounds like a 16th note arpeggio ( sounds like a backwards jangly guitar ) over an 8th note bass whereas you have legato synths over an 8th note bass. So your track sounds more akin to the middle section onwards of the ref around 1:42 - end where the main arp drops out. I am guessing they meant for it to sounds more like the first section which majors on the mid range arp sound.

It's not massively obvious having only one reference to go on , but I that's my theory and on that basis the Screener feedback seems relevant to me.

Mark

Gregbouts

Post by Gregbouts » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks - I appreciate everyone's feedback. Very helpful.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:18 pm

I did a quick A/B listen to your first track and the reference 9 Inch Nails track and I'm definitely not picking up the same vibe at all. Your cue is real nice :D but it's not at all dark and pulsing, more orchestral in nature. I think the screener was right on the money here.

Take a deep breath. Sometimes we are too close to a situation to see it. It's happened to me many times. But you have a great cue there for other pitches. On to the next one!

Best
:D Casey