Listening back to my mixes on different systems...

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Listening back to my mixes on different systems...

Post by guscave » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:50 pm

I'm currently using a pair of AKG MH50 headphones, then I listen to the mix on a pair of cheap PC speakers with sub. Lastly I drop the mix to my iPAD and listen through my earbuds. I don't use my truck system cause it sounds horrendous... ;) But my wife's car sound pretty good, so whenever I need that last confirmation I'll listen to the mix in her car via bluetooth.

Two thing that's helped me tremoundously has been listening to my mix in mono and using iZotope's Tonal Balance Control. I've found that if my mix sounds balanced in mono and my eq is balanced within the plugin's spectrum, 95% of the time my mixes sound good on other systems. It's that pesky 5% that keeps sending me outside to the car... :D :P

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:07 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:41 am
guest4254 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:21 am
I've been saving my wave files as 24 bit 48000 hz....probably a stupid question, but I know CD's are 16/44100, but do they need to be the same for usb, in order to work right in my car?
I usually only export the WAVs at 16/44.1k, so I don't really know if other formats would cause issues.

Tom
Most libraries want 24bit 48k WAV files so I would be exporting them all in that format and not 16-44

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 am

To add to the party, there's now the latest edition of Sonarworks software, 'SoundID Reference'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3joW3-yd91I
https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference
For those who don't know, this allows you to 'correct' your monitor's response to suit your room, or to simulate the performance of other monitors (eg NS10s or Mixcubes). Don't forget to disable it when switching to headphones, or to switch to your headphone calibration instead.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Today was my first time using ARC3. I got my MEMS calibration mic and did a test of my room.

Very cool to see the graph showing me where my room was way off the mark. I had a huge spike at 50hz then a big dip at 70-90hz. Then another big spike at 120hz. And some more big zig zags going on up.

With ARC3 there's a big drop in volume when you turn it on-I'm assuming all these room correction softwares are like that for some reason, but I don't know why. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to match the output levels so it's not noticably louder when bypassed. (I guess that's to get enough headroom to make boosts and cuts.)

Already, running through some of my recent mixes through it I can see why my ears had trouble judging the low end--and the whole balance really. I used some of the virtual monitoring presets such as car speaker/phone/tv and those are pretty cool.

I listened back to a track that I had a hard time mixing, but nonetheless got a forward on- and it sounded really good when I added the correction to it--(I'd mixed it on headphones) so I guess I'd done a good job on that one.

Hoping that I'm on my way to better mixes. :)

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am

And I, in order to hear all the tonalities of the melody, bought myself Pioneer floor-standing speakers. I think this is a good tool to learn to listen to sounds. It is impossible to hear so many subtleties of the melody through a bad audio system.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am

KayBur wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am
And I, in order to hear all the tonalities of the melody, bought myself Pioneer floor-standing speakers. I think this is a good tool to learn to listen to sounds. It is impossible to hear so many subtleties of the melody through a bad audio system.
Each to his own, but I tend to think more along these lines...
https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/d ... o-monitors
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:43 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am
KayBur wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am
Each to his own, but I tend to think more along these lines...
https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/d ... o-monitors
Thanks for the recommendations. I am not an expert in audio engineering, so any recommendation is welcome. Of course, I am not disappointed with my purchase, but looking at other options, taking note of other brands is the right approach, as for me.