Listing-#S180525SS- What Does "Basic Demos" mean?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gladghosts

Listing-#S180525SS- What Does "Basic Demos" mean?

Post by gladghosts » Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey everyone,
I had a question about listing #S180525SS. It is for contemporary singer/songwriter. In the description it says " publisher is open to hearing basic demos if they're done really well." I was just wondering what that means. I have a general idea of what demos are, just wanted to make sure I am on the same page as the listing and that my understanding of basic demos is the same as what the listing is asking for. I know to not do the quality of an iphone voice memo, but wasn't sure how high quality it needs to be. Does it need to be mixed/mastered as well? I was hoping someone can shed light on what basic demo and really well means in the listing? Thanks!

-Gentry

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Listing-#S180525SS- What Does "Basic Demos" mean?

Post by Unstar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am

I'm pretty sure a "basic demo" in current context means mixed and "mastered" to some degree. At the very least the mix should probably as good as you can get it so you can showcase the parts to their full potential. I'm not sure about "mastering", but I would imagine that frequencies and output volumes would still be optimized using compression / limiting / etc.

It still has to come across as pretty polished and it seems to be implied in the listing verbiage - "if they're done really well". Also, I would imagine that "the competition" will probably go as far as providing a quality mix and some sort of mastering on the final output.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime but that's essentially how I see it.

Good luck!
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Listing-#S180525SS- What Does "Basic Demos" mean?

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 pm

By "basic demo" they generally mean a WELL RECORDED guitar and vocal or piano and vocal will do. It doesn't have to have full instrumentation. But keep in mind that your SONG must be so good that it shines even with a simple guitar and vocal.

Best,
:D Casey