Listing S220224CP -"We suggest keep your submissions on the simpler side"

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gregbouts

Listing S220224CP -"We suggest keep your submissions on the simpler side"

Post by Gregbouts » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:59 am

LOL. Where can I take the class or how much does the double-secret decoder ring cost decipher TAXI descriptions, briefs, etc. and define words like simple, cinematic, etc.?
What's the best kept secret at TAXI? The meaning of the word 'simple'? According to the dictionary it's defined as "plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation." According to TAXI reviewer (Listener ID: 396), however, 'simplicity' is a caveat from the brief found in the reference tracks. OK - finally THE answer. So, as the reviewer suggests, I model my track after the reference tracks. Use a piano as the main focus and base of arrangement. CHECK! Use additional instrumentation like Strings, Pad, Synth, etc. CHECK! According to the description " Your job is more about establishing a mood." The track was NOT returned because of the mood. So AGAIN CHECK! Must be a FORWARD but wait.... a marked red radio box reading RETURNED.... why? Style not on target? How is that possible? Reviewer said track was a "Really interesting cue with cool texture." Then reviewer downshifts to "we" for the bad news. "We need to remember the caveat from the brief on simplicity," (there's THAT word again) and, further on in the review, '''Cinematic' can be wide open to many interpretations, so we need to use every bit of info we can glean from the brief." So I listen to piece that did get forwarded. A piano as the main focus. CHECK. Followed by a pulsing bass and drums!?!? I didn't "glean that information from the brief."
Certainly any complaint about a track not forwarded will come off as sour grapes and there's some of that here but I'm genuinely interested in how composers/musicians make certain decisions in composition (i.e. format, instrumentation, etc.) to meet the requirements.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Listing S220224CP -"We suggest keep your submissions on the simpler side"

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi Greg, Yes it can be thoroughly confusing for anyone new to creating music for sync. Its not always what you might think, so there can be a lot to learn. Very few folk jump in and immediately get it all right (although it does happen occasionally). There's no one 'key to the kingdom' though, and no one class that will tell you all the answers. It depends what path you choose to take and what's important to you to be able to fill the gaps in your existing knowledge. It might also be a gradual process that takes some time. All I can suggest is to keep at it, read the listings very carefully, listen to the ref tracks in great detail and take notes, then make new music that is well targeted to each listing. Although it'll all seem like trial and error for a while you definitely will learn from the feedback you get.

If you want to greatly speed up the learning process then I'd suggest doing everything you can to inform your creations, such as posting your efforts on the Peer To Peer section of the forums, watching Taxi TV, and listening to the tracks that were forwarded for listings (either from the Forwards blog or from posts in the Forwards section). You might also search the forums for specific info, read the posts and reviews of others, look up old Taxi TV episodes of particular interest, concentrating on the detail that you think you're missing. Don't forget the annual rally and all the info that it provides too. With all of that input info I think you'll surprise yourself how it starts to sink in and you'll begin hearing the things that reviewers point out and be able to apply it in your own work to help ensure its appropriate for sync. There's also a ton of info in the big old world beyond the Taxi garden wall (a quick search on Youtube is all it takes) but it might take a while to get through what's here first.

Bear in mind that all comments, reviews and feedback are given in the spirit of helping people to make music that will work on TV. The screeners are skilled and knowledgeable, and its their job to find and forward music that closely fits the brief, but nothing that doesn't. Forum reviews and comments are only opinions, but could well be offered by experienced members who are already have their work on TV. Finally, its best not to be too sensitive about comments and advice that might come across as negative. Its not personal, its just about the music, and if a track doesn't work you can always make another :). I hope you enjoy Taxi.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:49 pm

It's not a tick box exercise, but if you post the listing and your track then maybe we can provide some pointers.

Gregbouts

Post by Gregbouts » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. It shouldn’t be a tick-box exercise but the reviewers make it feel that way. And insofar as being new - I’ve been a member of TAXI for about 10 years had over 50% forward rate. It doesn’t change what I said about “keep it simple” it gets me every time.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:44 pm

Please post the full listing text and a link to the track. Otherwise, we can't be of help.

:) Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:20 am

Gregbouts wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:59 am
LOL. Where can I take the class or how much does the double-secret decoder ring cost decipher TAXI descriptions, briefs, etc. and define words like simple, cinematic, etc.?
What's the best kept secret at TAXI? The meaning of the word 'simple'? .......
Sorry Greg, but as a forum 'newbie' I also assumed that you were a Taxi 'newbie, and the initial part of your question reinforce that impression. If you've already been with Taxi for 10 years though I thought you might have got around to the forums a bit quicker ;).

You're not the first to comment here about apparent inconsistencies between listings, ref tracks and screener comments, so I'm sure it happens from time to time. As others have said though, the best way to get more opinions is to post all the info (listing, ref links and review). If folk here agree with you then you might be justified in questioning the head screener about it, but without that info there's not much anyone can say to try and help.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:31 am

Totally understand the frustration, but we can't really help you out if you don't post your track and the listing details.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:43 am

Just got around to looking at this thread. Bwahahahaha, I had to laugh at "double-secret decoder ring", lol.

Where'd this guy go? Looks like he just popped by for a quick venting, then went ghost on us.....

For anyone reading this thread, please take the advice of everyone who responded and post the listing and your track when you have an issue like this guy. Otherwise, we can't help at all, and it just sounds like sour grapes.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:00 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:43 am
Just got around to looking at this thread. Bwahahahaha, I had to laugh at "double-secret decoder ring", lol.

Where'd this guy go? Looks like he just popped by for a quick venting, then went ghost on us.....

For anyone reading this thread, please take the advice of everyone who responded and post the listing and your track when you have an issue like this guy. Otherwise, we can't help at all, and it just sounds like sour grapes.

~~Matt
Yup... And PLEASE post the listing as pasted text, not a link! Once listings expire, the original link to the listing is not viewable anymore by others.

Polishing my decoder ring right now,
:D Casey