Listing Y06062980 results

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Listing Y06062980 results

Post by timejunkie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:21 am

Yeh it would be a definate challenge.What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timejunkie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks for giving "your" opinion...."I don't like it" really isn't the constrcutive feedback I was looking for.I listened to your material as well.....I think we like very different styles of music...but hey it's all good. Were you forwarded on this listing?Cheers,Chip

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:03 pm

Quote:Thanks for giving "your" opinion...."I don't like it" really isn't the constrcutive feedback I was looking for.I listened to your material as well.....I think we like very different styles of music...but hey it's all good. Were you forwarded on this listing?Cheers,Chipwell I didn't just write "I don't like it", exept for the singing which is taste, and if you read my post you'll see that there is quite a lot constructive critique. Of course it's your choice to pick out whatever you want, or not.I didn't send to this listing.
production, composition & stringed instruments

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:30 am

Quote:Thanks for giving "your" opinion...."I don't like it" really isn't the constrcutive feedback I was looking for.I listened to your material as well.....I think we like very different styles of music...but hey it's all good. Were you forwarded on this listing?Cheers,ChipChipI didn't understand your reply either... I didn't read gitarrero's reply as just "I don't like it"... What am I missing?Regards,Casey

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timejunkie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:49 am

I think gitarrero's reply is typical of my frustration with the Taxi process. Taxi in my opinion really is not an A&R company as they do not make the final decision on any listing. They merely review and critique much the same as a magazine or news paper writer does and we all know how accurate they are.If you read other replies to this thread some say I am bang on and some detail why I may not have been forwarded. None except for gitarreo's "attacked" my playing or vocal ability."I don't like it" and "playing isn't that good" doesn't cut it with me as a constructive response and I got a little miffed. My apologies to gitarrero if offense was taken by my response. I made it a point to check out his music and really didn't hear that much of a technical or sonic difference in comparison to my material...so I questioned the motives of his comments. Sorry but that is my opinion.I have been in the music business for over 25 years playing thousands of live shows and I feel my performance is a little better than "shaky". Am I perfect... no...am I as bad as gitarrero describes...I don't believe so... maybe I am wrong I'm not sure why this bothered me so much...I really shouldn't care as an artist. I guess I expected more out of the Taxi experience than it really has to offer (to me anyway).I am increasingly feeling like Taxi just isn't a right fit for me as a writer and performer. Sorry for the rant... I just don't think I have the patience to stab in the dark as to what a listing may or may not be looking for and I feel that task is better left to the "professional" writers and engineers.Thanks for listening....and good luck to everyone with their endeavors with Taxi..I am done with it for the immediate future.Sincerely,Chip

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:24 am

Quote:Taxi in my opinion really is not an A&R company as they do not make the final decision on any listing. They merely review and critique much the same as a magazine or news paper writer does and we all know how accurate they are.Actually the screeners at Taxi *are* making the final descicion on the *listings* (i.e. forward or return), and for the most part they are A&R people and publishers who are between jobs, so they are really the same people that would be reviewing you material if it made its way to a label or publisher or film/tv music company.And of course the A&R guy or publisher or music supervisor who listens to your music if it gets forwarded is not gonna make the final decision either on whether you get signed or your song gets used, he will simply pass it on to his superior or boss, and so on.No matter how you submit your music to the music industry, it has to pass a series of "screeners" to eventually get to the person who has the authority to sign you or your song. Taxi is really just a glimpse into how the "music industry" at large works, and, for a fee, provides you with a number of tools that can help you make better sense of the industry and target you submissions to the industry with more accuracy.That being said I completely agree with you that Taxi is not for everyone, just like the established "music business" is not the right outlet for every musician/artist/writer's artistic endeavors.Good luck to you in yours. matto

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:37 am

Quote:Quote:Taxi in my opinion really is not an A&R company as they do not make the final decision on any listing. They merely review and critique much the same as a magazine or news paper writer does and we all know how accurate they are.Actually the screeners at Taxi *are* making the final descicion on the *listings* (i.e. forward or return), and for the most part they are A&R people and publishers who are between jobs, so they are really the same people that would be reviewing you material if it made its way to a label or publisher or film/tv music company.And of course the A&R guy or publisher or music supervisor who listens to your music if it gets forwarded is not gonna make the final decision either on whether you get signed or your song gets used, he will simply pass it on to his superior or boss, and so on.No matter how you submit your music to the music industry, it has to pass a series of "screeners" to eventually get to the person who has the authority to sign you or your song. Taxi is really just a glimpse into how the "music industry" at large works, and, for a fee, provides you with a number of tools that can help you make better sense of the industry and target you submissions to the industry with more accuracy.That being said I completely agree with you that Taxi is not for everyone, just like the established "music business" is not the right outlet for every musician/artist/writer's artistic endeavors.Good luck to you in yours. mattoMatto,if these screeners are Ex highly paid and successful execs surly to work at Taxi must be regarded as lining up at the soup kitchen and they would therefore have no credibility whatsoever in finding employment at their previous level.jJust a thought from the shiny "nice" new johnny.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:03 am

Quote:Quote:Actually the screeners at Taxi *are* making the final descicion on the *listings* (i.e. forward or return), and for the most part they are A&R people and publishers who are between jobs, so they are really the same people that would be reviewing you material if it made its way to a label or publisher or film/tv music company.And of course the A&R guy or publisher or music supervisor who listens to your music if it gets forwarded is not gonna make the final decision either on whether you get signed or your song gets used, he will simply pass it on to his superior or boss, and so on.No matter how you submit your music to the music industry, it has to pass a series of "screeners" to eventually get to the person who has the authority to sign you or your song. Taxi is really just a glimpse into how the "music industry" at large works, and, for a fee, provides you with a number of tools that can help you make better sense of the industry and target you submissions to the industry with more accuracy.That being said I completely agree with you that Taxi is not for everyone, just like the established "music business" is not the right outlet for every musician/artist/writer's artistic endeavors.Good luck to you in yours. mattoMatto,if these screeners are Ex highly paid and successful execs surly to work at Taxi must be regarded as lining up at the soup kitchen and they would therefore have no credibility whatsoever in finding employment at their previous level.jJust a thought from the shiny "nice" new johnny. Actually, A&R people get fired and hired constantly (as you undoubtedly know as an old pro...), and there are several former Taxi screeners I know of who went back to high paying A&R gigs...and probably many more I don't know of.Being between jobs is common place in this industry...and not just for the freelance musician.

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:17 am

Quote:Quote:Matto,if these screeners are Ex highly paid and successful execs surly to work at Taxi must be regarded as lining up at the soup kitchen and they would therefore have no credibility whatsoever in finding employment at their previous level.jJust a thought from the shiny "nice" new johnny. Actually, A&R people get fired and hired constantly (as you undoubtedly know as an old pro...), and there are several former Taxi screeners I know of who went back to high paying A&R gigs...and probably many more I don't know of.Being between jobs is common place in this industry...and not just for the freelance musician.thank you Matto,unfortunately I don't operate at such high levels of A & R as you do so I was not aware of the hiring and firing situation.My usual experience of A&R offices is being ejected from them.

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timejunkie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:36 am

So Taxi is picking up folks to reveiw music that have been let go for one reason or another by a label, publishers etc....dosn't instill much confidence in their abilty does it.The bottom line is that there are millions of aspiring and very vulnerable artists out there that will throw money at anyone to get their song on an A & R guy’s desk....me included to some degree. Taxi is another vehicle to attempt to do that and it initially looked very appealing.However, any way you slice it Taxi is a middle man not unlike a song “jobber”. To my knowledge (and correct me if I am wrong)...Taxi has absolutely no say as to whether a song is used or not. In fact, they admit themselves they do not guarantee that a “forwarded” song will ever be listened to by the actual A & R individual that requested it. The way I see it the service Taxi “sells” you is: a review of your material by a mysterious reviewer, a monthly motivational e-mail (to keep you hooked and the lights on) and if you are lucky they will send the song off in an envelope that may never be opened by the requester. No follow up calls, no push to get the song used! Yes, the Taxi name may get your song past the front desk but that (to my knowledge) is the extent of it.They even frown on you following up (when you get a forward) to try to push your own material so you don’t piss off their customer. Trust me if you don't push and market your own material nobody else will unless paid. Still sound as attractive as the marketing?Let me ask you this...Taxi says that submissions are reviewed by experts in the genre of the listing...what about the listing that asked for Foo Fighters Green Day Gwen Stefani Kelly Clarkson...is an expert in “modern” hard rock reviewing the submissions that are similar to Kelly Clarkson? My point is made....Taxi is a brilliant business model and my hat is off to Michael and I am certain his heart is in the right place. The music business is hard nut to crack in whatever format one decides to try to “make it”. However, I’m not convinced adding another layer “experts” that won't allow you to push your own material is conducive to attaining that goal. But it sure lines the pocket book!