listing #Y190610PP Current Sounding Pop Inst. Cues

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sermusicusa
Active
Active

listing #Y190610PP Current Sounding Pop Inst. Cues

Post by sermusicusa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 pm

In the description it says this: "Also, please notice the minimalistic approach in these tracks"
“Just Got Paid” by Sigala ft. Ella Eyre, Meghan Trainor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVy8g5utJlw

Is not minimalistic at all. In fact a couple of the sample tracks are not minimalistic at all. So I'm wondering if submitting something similar to Just Got Paid will be rejected because its not MINIMAL enough...?

I wouldnt really call heavily produced pop tracks minimalistic. Bad terminology. Because many of these tracks have quite a bit in them. If they were minimalistic they wouldnt have as many sounds/instruments wouldnt you say? That would make them more minimal.

Here is another example of how the text in the listing does not match the sample tracks completely. One should just say hey, hear these sample tracks? We're looking for something in this general style, and I say general because there are 6 sample tracks here and they are all different. So if you like one of the tracks and create another one in the same vein, cool we're gonna forward it, but dont say lets get all minimal when clearly not every track listed there is in fact minimal.

brianrice

Re: listing #Y190610PP Current Sounding Pop Inst. Cues

Post by brianrice » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 am

Hi.
I'd suggest using Sigala as a rough instrument amount. To me, it sounds sparse enough; though full sounding.
Best of luck. Cheers

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 am

From a musical point of view. That track is not MINIMAL. Sparse? Maybe... but I think the DISCO type strings put it over the threshold to consider it sparse.

You know minimal is thrown around so frequently in these descriptions I'm not 100% sure what Taxi's definition of minimal is these days. Because I hear songs like that. Now granted this quote was from "The Client" so maybe they do not know what minimal means especially in music. Or maybe their definition is different than mine?

Maybe we need a new term for non electronic listings. Minimal means "the BARE MINIMUM". Which is why when you listen to minimal techno for example, you do not hear very many sounds, maybe only 2-3. A minimal hip hop track would have drums, 808 and maybe one or two other sounds off and on.

So what is the bare minimum? Nobody knows because because the example tracks do not fit the description of minimal at least in my mind.

How about hey, we want a track that has no more than 4-5 sounds in it :) That would be helpful.
But even that is too much for minimal :)
Last edited by sermusicusa on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:18 am

From how I understand it, the reference tracks are meant to be something to give us a general ball-park type idea, not something we should be over-analyzing and trying to figure out how it might clash in some way with the listing details. Take the reference tracks as the vibe they could be lookin for, and then use the listing details to flesh it out.
sermusicusa wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 am
You know minimal is thrown around so frequently in these descriptions I'm not 100% sure what Taxi's definition of minimal is these days. Because I hear songs like that. Now granted this quote was from "The Client" so maybe they do not know what minimal means especially in music.
Whether or not they know what it means according to you and me is irrelevant. To them, they have an idea of what they want in their mind, and it's our job to create the best possible track according to the info they give us. Grinding the axe of "this term doesn't mean what they think it means" really only takes away time and energy from learning how to interpret the listing the way a lot of other people around here have already got really good at.

Also, just a thought.. there is a chance that these music supervisors and library owners peruse these forums as well, so implying they don't understand a term they are using might not be putting your best foot forward.

Just some thoughts. Best of luck with the listing!

Andrew

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:01 am

I'm not grinding an axe I was simply pointing out that one of the tracks that was there is not really that minimal that's all I was trying to point out and I wanted to see if anybody else noticed the same discrepancies... I certainly didn't mean any disrespect to anyone with this post that was not my intention at all ... whether or not someone is reading it from a library or anywhere else is irrelevant .. my post is not about that it's about the listing and a question I had about it well more like an observation

Honestly I highly doubt that any music supervisor has time to come on these forums ... from my understanding they're extremely busy and secondly I wasn't dissing anybody I was just trying to clarify what the term minimal meant because it's been used a lot recently on here....not by a certain client....just being used frequently in listings and I'm noticing that it's not exactly what the term means so I wanted to see what other people thought of that. If that's not what this listing forum is for then I won't point these things out or ask questions regarding listings. But I am pretty sure that is the purpose of this forum. So that we can discuss the listings openly and honestly. And if it's not the place for that in this thread can be deleted and I won't post any more. I would also like to point out that my intentions here are good ... they're not meant to b negative at all. Constructive maybe. But not negative, and if someone sees it that way that's unfortunate

Peace
Last edited by sermusicusa on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

sermusicusa wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 pm
In the description it says this: "Also, please notice the minimalistic approach in these tracks"
“Just Got Paid” by Sigala ft. Ella Eyre, Meghan Trainor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVy8g5utJlw

Is not minimalistic at all. In fact a couple of the sample tracks are not minimalistic at all. So I'm wondering if submitting something similar to Just Got Paid will be rejected because its not MINIMAL enough...?

I wouldnt really call heavily produced pop tracks minimalistic. Bad terminology. Because many of these tracks have quite a bit in them. If they were minimalistic they wouldnt have as many sounds/instruments wouldnt you say? That would make them more minimal.

Here is another example of how the text in the listing does not match the sample tracks completely. One should just say hey, hear these sample tracks? We're looking for something in this general style, and I say general because there are 6 sample tracks here and they are all different. So if you like one of the tracks and create another one in the same vein, cool we're gonna forward it, but dont say lets get all minimal when clearly not every track listed there is in fact minimal.
I agree but the reference in many cases is just used to give an idea what kind of sound and feel they are looking for (even if the arrangement of the reference is not minimalistic). I think minimalistic refers to something that 'seems simple' and is not overly busy. So 3 tracks with the latest sound design and 200 busses could sound minimalistic or 50 tracks with a super simplistic arrangement. So, I think what matters is whether it 'feels' minimalistic. References are a tricky thing, in particular, when the listing is for an instrumental and the 'minimalistic' reference is a song that is all about the vocal :D
My five cents.
Cheers,
Matt

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm

MBantle wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am
[

I agree but the reference in many cases is just used to give an idea what kind of sound and feel they are looking for (even if the arrangement of the reference is not minimalistic). I think minimalistic refers to something that 'seems simple' and is not overly busy. So 3 tracks with the latest sound design and 200 busses could sound minimalistic or 50 tracks with a super simplistic arrangement. So, I think what matters is whether it 'feels' minimalistic. References are a tricky thing, in particular, when the listing is for an instrumental and the 'minimalistic' reference is a song that is all about the vocal :D
My five cents.
Cheers,
Matt
Matt,
You are on to something here. References are a tricky thing indeed. 6 references are even trickier especially when a few of them are pretty different from the rest... so perhaps they arent 100% sure with what they want but if they get something like 1 of the 6 they'll be satisfied.... who knows.

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Well that listing ended in a Forward. Although I will say my track was not exactly 'minimal' by my standard :mrgreen:

So maybe I am reading too much into it. Analyzing too much. Thank you to all who provided insight into this for me. Again, I did not make this thread to disrespect anyone, that never entered my mind, so if you thought that, shame on you :P
And those who replied I appreciate your knowledge and opinion on the matter. The case is closed.

On to the next one...

brianrice

Post by brianrice » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:29 am

congratulations and enjoy the journey.