Logic Pro 9 system error message ..Helpful Advise?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lucis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Logic Pro 9 system error message ..Helpful Advise?

Post by lucis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi

I do what I think is pretty complex arrangements and production on my MacBook Pro running Logic Pro 9.
lately I've been getting two disturbing messages popping up while I'm working

a). when I'm making a new piece I get a message asking me to "unpack some folders". But I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to make the system run smoother. What folders? How do I access them? How do I unpack them? and where do I put the files I unpack? How does it help?

b). while working on tracks I get a :

"System Overload.
The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time.
(-10011)"

I usually close any other programs running in the background and ignore and dismiss the message and after a number of time it goes away or I 'force through' what I needed to get done and carry on to complete the piece, clean up and consolidate the song and bounce it down to iTunes as an .aiff & an MP3 for TAXI.

What is the solution(s) to my problem?

Anyone/ techy nerd/gear head .... had a similar problem and has experience of a solution?
Your helpful advise is much appreciated

Here is the hardware profile of my machine:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Serial Number (system): W8931NFT66D
Hardware UUID: BF26D9A5-25FC-5313-A6AE-0D1BBD214363
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Thanks in anticipation

Lucis

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Logic Pro 9 system error message ..Helpful Advise?

Post by kclements » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Hello -
a). when I'm making a new piece I get a message asking me to "unpack some folders". But I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to make the system run smoother. What folders? How do I access them? How do I unpack them? and where do I put the files I unpack? How does it help?
Not sure about this one - I haven't seen this message myself. Maybe someone else can help out.
b). while working on tracks I get a :

"System Overload.
(-10011)"
My first thought - are you using an external Hard drive? That may clear this up. Also, I think with only 5 Megs of memory, you are really stretching things. I would suggest you bump up your memory if this is your main machine.

cheers
k
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

playagibson
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by playagibson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:15 pm

That usually happens to me when I run too may plugins and midi tracks at once.
1; Try running Logic in 64 bit mode.
2; Freeze your tracks to lessen cpu.
3; Bounce tracks to audio files. This is the best way to lighten the cpu load.
* Bounced tracks are permanent, so you may want to save the original track in a file if you decide to make changes.
I bounce all my tracks and I don't have that problem anymore.
This usually fixes the problem.

Rich.

CrimsnSyrn
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CrimsnSyrn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:24 pm

This is just an idea, but as you have your recording preferences set to "create take folders"? I"m guessing the "unpacking the folders" message might refer to unpacking your take folders to new tracks....like could one have too many takes on a track?...it's an odd message!

I use to get the second message (overload) and I switched to 64-bit and that took care of it (so far.)

Juliet
Juliet

jimmymio
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jimmymio » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm

I use Logic 9 on a 2 x 2.8 quad core Power Mac with 8 mg RAM. I've never seen the folder msg but I often see the other one. Someone suggested more RAM and that might help but only if you run Logic in 64 bit. 32 bit will only access 4 meg RAM. Also when working on your mix, do not have a software instrument selected. Select an audio track instead. I forget the "logic" but, for some reason, having a software instrument selected gobbles up more resources.
I'm hoping Logic 10 deals with this issue but I'm not getting my hopes up.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Never had the "unpack folder" error so I can't help you there.

On the other error, I have had EXTENSIVE experience with that one.

Unfortunately, I can't really add anything. You've already gotten the "solutions" from other posters. But I'll give you one more:

Buy a new computer. And this time a real one (i.e. a mac pro tower). I used to be on a macbook pro too. Works fine for basic pop/rock/hip hop etc. but when you start getting into more resource intensive projects it just doesn't cut it. You need more drives, more ram, a workstation class processor etc. I can tell you from experience that things will just get worse from here. Its going to get to the point where your computer gets so slow that you can barely get any work done. You will start to dread writing music because you know you'll be spending 50% of your time fighting your computer and doing gimmicks and workarounds to get it to work properly.

I'd start saving now and get a mac pro when the new ones come out (hopefully sometime this year). I did that and haven't had any problems since. Well, I take that back... OSX Lion is a monumental piece of crap and has given me a lot of trouble. But the computer itself is great.

-Steve

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

CrimsnSyrn wrote:This is just an idea, but as you have your recording preferences set to "create take folders"? I"m guessing the "unpacking the folders" message might refer to unpacking your take folders to new tracks....like could one have too many takes on a track?...it's an odd message!

I use to get the second message (overload) and I switched to 64-bit and that took care of it (so far.)

Juliet

could be, but take folders in the recording prefs relates to midi (instrument) tracks only. So likely just one of those weird Logic things.

here is the place to air your beefs with Logic: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html - its worthwhile describing this folder issue there. they might fix it. you never know.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

lucis wrote:
these days this is an underpowered machine.

you didn't post specs on how many hard drives or at what speed or capacity they are.

part of your problem might be streaming bandwidth from your hard drive. Is it 5400 rpm?

#1 thing I would do is replace it with a drive running 7200 RPM or higher.

Are you using more than 50 % of the total space on the drive? you are asking for headaches. replace it with something way bigger than you need now, extra space reduces problems.

If you are running logic, recording, playing back, and hosting virtual instruments on the same drive, you could just be running out of bandwidth. A way around this is to spread out the load over several drives (ideally, one for logic / system, one for recording your project, and one or more for samples, and one for video if you are scoring to picture). this is one way to ensure that your hard drives are not the bottle neck.

You could use external drives, or In some macbooks, you can put 2 hard drives in by replacing the DVD drive with a "data doubler" from OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/ - including your model.

OWC is one of the best places to get aftermarket RAM and harddrives I have found.

re:
System Overload.
(-10011)"

I get this message lots on a 4 core mac pro with 20 GB of ram and 6 hard drives (including an SSD for my system drive) that spread out all sample libraries and record drives. I have optimized it as much as possible, but the only step forward is to buy a new machine at this point. Naturally, I run lots of VI's, so I understand the machine is undergoing stress. Like Rich I bounce most stuff to audio when mixing, and Logic 9 is fairly easy to do that in. Its the only way to future proof yourself with plugins anyways. At some point, something isn't going to be compatible with something and your project may not open up.

Like most people here I am using 64 bit mode so at least I am not up against the wall because of RAM use. You need to be running at least Logic 9.1.3 I think to be able to start it in 64 bit mode. so upgrade if need be. Its at 9.1.8 now.

good luck.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:20 pm

andygabrys wrote:
lucis wrote:
these days this is an underpowered machine.

you didn't post specs on how many hard drives or at what speed or capacity they are.

part of your problem might be streaming bandwidth from your hard drive. Is it 5400 rpm?

#1 thing I would do is replace it with a drive running 7200 RPM or higher.
Its definitely 7200 RPM. My MBP is older than lucis' and it had a 7200 RPM drive.
andygabrys wrote: Are you using more than 50 % of the total space on the drive? you are asking for headaches. replace it with something way bigger than you need now, extra space reduces problems.
Definitely. And this is one of the reasons why its going to get worse for you Lucis. The more you fill that drive up the worse things will get for you. Even if you are running an external you will still have some serious problems come up because you are filling up the start up/main drive. I was running an external, and that definitely extended my computers useful life, but it only delayed the inevitable.
andygabrys wrote: If you are running logic, recording, playing back, and hosting virtual instruments on the same drive, you could just be running out of bandwidth. A way around this is to spread out the load over several drives (ideally, one for logic / system, one for recording your project, and one or more for samples, and one for video if you are scoring to picture). this is one way to ensure that your hard drives are not the bottle neck.
Agreed, but that is something that needs to be done with a Mac Pro right? Which inevitably is what you need to get if you are mac based and are writing music for a living.
andygabrys wrote: You could use external drives, or In some macbooks, you can put 2 hard drives in by replacing the DVD drive with a "data doubler" from OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/ - including your model.
I did not know that. Thats actually a damn good idea, especially since it seems like the optical drives in in Macs always crap out anyways. My optical drive in my MBP died in less than a year. Had a few friends with MacBooks and iMacs who had the same thing happen with their optical drives. Around the 1 year mark they kicked the bucket.

andygabrys wrote: I get this message lots on a 4 core mac pro with 20 GB of ram and 6 hard drives (including an SSD for my system drive) that spread out all sample libraries and record drives. I have optimized it as much as possible, but the only step forward is to buy a new machine at this point. Naturally, I run lots of VI's, so I understand the machine is undergoing stress. Like Rich I bounce most stuff to audio when mixing, and Logic 9 is fairly easy to do that in. Its the only way to future proof yourself with plugins anyways. At some point, something isn't going to be compatible with something and your project may not open up.

Like most people here I am using 64 bit mode so at least I am not up against the wall because of RAM use. You need to be running at least Logic 9.1.3 I think to be able to start it in 64 bit mode. so upgrade if need be. Its at 9.1.8 now.
Wow. I have less machine than that and I don't have that kind of problem... I just get a "disk too slow" error if the computer has been sitting idle for too long. Doesn't ever happen while I'm working though.

Have you thought about maybe buying a mac mini and setting that up as a slave? I've talked to a couple of people who do really intense orchestral mock ups that use that set up and they say it works great. Reduces crashes and makes things snappier apparently. It would be cheaper than buying a new Mac Pro.

-Steve

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 pm

hi Steve,

yeah, the mac mini server model is enticing. if I wasn't going to get a new mac pro I would consider. I have heard many rumours about a new mac pro in mid 2013 (FINALLY!!!!!) and would like to see what that looks like before getting another slave. I would rather stick with one machine. I used to use a PC slave, but it was a hassle, and eventually it died too.

also - this mac pro is old. apple care is way long gone.