Looking for a Review for Action Trailer

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DrDanny

Looking for a Review for Action Trailer

Post by DrDanny » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am

Hello,

I am looking for a review of an action trailer I am considering uploading for S210413AT https://www.taxi.com/listings/?listing=S210413AT. This includes any type of constructive helpful feedback you are willing to offer, but lately I have been getting returns with comments on mixing or not being loud enough. I am wrestling with the difference between not making is sound too soft with submitting songs that can be mastered in the future and need to come in below -6bB. This particular song has a ceiling around -0.7dB.

Also, I am wondering if this sounds like an action trailer - I tried to model it after the example tracks with a piano in the beginning, etc., not sure I am personally convinced this came out sounding like an action trailer. What do you think? Any advice on making it sound more action-oriented or is it good enough?

The song is "Action Trailer Review S210413AT" posted at https://www.taxi.com/members/dannylacks.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Looking for a Review for Action Trailer

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:08 am

Musically, I like it, but it is quite "tame" for an action trailer. It needs more suspense and ominous tone. I think the piano lead would be okay if a bit shorter and then come in with guns blazing for contrast.
Ken

DexWilliams
Active
Active

Post by DexWilliams » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 am

Hi,

Nice work, but for an action trailer I would start it with what you have a 1:00 with the hits. You could use the intro as a breakdown section, but make it shorter and add some low string ostinato to keep the energy going. I also wonder if the tempo is a bit slow for 'action'?

Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth of thoughts (invoice in the post :) )

Dex

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 am

DrDanny wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am
Also, I am wondering if this sounds like an action trailer - I tried to model it after the example tracks with a piano in the beginning, etc.,
Sorry but it sounds quite a long way off the references to me. Possibly the biggest issue at the moment is the sounds / production are too weak for this type of Trailer Music.

The drums and percussion in particular are not cutting it right now and I would also say the orchestral sounds are below par as well. It's difficult to say where to start because there's a lot of elements to this style from writing the music itself to having the right sounds and production skills to pull it off and I don't think it's something that can be explained in a forum post how you get from where you are now to where the bar is for this type of music.

I would recommend working through some Youtube tutorials by people like Alex Moukala - there are lots of free videos and tips on what sample libraries to use and how to put a trailer track together , if you watch enough of them some stuff will start becoming clearer hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxG1HReUjww

Mark

DrDanny

Post by DrDanny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Thanks for the tip. I am a little disappointed though because I spent a lot of money on the Komplete Ultimate bundle to get these sounds. I was hoping the new virtual libraries would come across well. I am hesitant to spend more money when I thought this bundle would have been good enough. I may just make this my last orchestral submission until I figure that out. Good feedback though, thanks.

DrDanny

Post by DrDanny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm

KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:08 am
Musically, I like it, but it is quite "tame" for an action trailer. It needs more suspense and ominous tone. I think the piano lead would be okay if a bit shorter and then come in with guns blazing for contrast.
Thanks Ken, I was wondering if the piano is too long. Was thinking a minute for each act, but it did seem to drag on.

DrDanny

Post by DrDanny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:47 pm

DexWilliams wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 am
Hi,

Nice work, but for an action trailer I would start it with what you have a 1:00 with the hits. You could use the intro as a breakdown section, but make it shorter and add some low string ostinato to keep the energy going. I also wonder if the tempo is a bit slow for 'action'?

Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth of thoughts (invoice in the post :) )

Dex
Thanks, two pennies in your currency may be two dollars in mine :-). Yeah I may have to cut and adjust. Or maybe just pass on this one. Thanks

DrDanny

Post by DrDanny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:33 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 am
DrDanny wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am
Also, I am wondering if this sounds like an action trailer - I tried to model it after the example tracks with a piano in the beginning, etc.,
Sorry but it sounds quite a long way off the references to me. Possibly the biggest issue at the moment is the sounds / production are too weak for this type of Trailer Music.

The drums and percussion in particular are not cutting it right now and I would also say the orchestral sounds are below par as well. It's difficult to say where to start because there's a lot of elements to this style from writing the music itself to having the right sounds and production skills to pull it off and I don't think it's something that can be explained in a forum post how you get from where you are now to where the bar is for this type of music.

I would recommend working through some Youtube tutorials by people like Alex Moukala - there are lots of free videos and tips on what sample libraries to use and how to put a trailer track together , if you watch enough of them some stuff will start becoming clearer hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxG1HReUjww

Mark
This is a great tutorial, thanks for sharing. I will definitely watch it again. I am going to pass on submitting this trailer but work it again in the future.