Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Looking For Acoustic Guitar Mic/Mics

Post by riffsthatrule » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been looking into recording my nylon acoustic guitar as of late and was wondering what mics you guys are using/prefer using on them?

I've had my eye on this one https://amzn.to/3emNeqH and possibly its big brother the 440.

Also, do you guys like to stereo mic your guitars usually? What are some good options for stereo pairs?

Thanks In advance!

Jason

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Looking For Acoustic Guitar Mic/Mics

Post by lesmac » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Warren Huart raves about Lewitt microphones so who am I to argue? It would be a great allrounder.

I use a pair of small condenser Rode NT55's. I don't worry about setting them up as a stereo pair. I used to put up a large condenser near my ear [can't be bothered with that guff any more] in conjunction with a mic pointed towards the twelfth fret neck to body spot. A large diaphragm condenser can sound great though on its own or in combination.

If you can get enough gain out of your mic pre a small condenser gives a focussed sound which can sit nicely in a mix or is just useable and solid in a solo gtr recording. I do usually go for the three to one distance rule when pointing the two mins at the Gtr. Usually close mic'ed with the ubiquitous position mentioned earlier and the other mic for some wood positioned to taste.

Edit: I mentioned the gain on your pre as I think SDCs need a little more gain than LDCs but not as much as ribbons [which unfortunately I have never had one to use].

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:47 pm

lesmac wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Warren Huart raves about Lewitt microphones so who am I to argue? It would be a great allrounder.

I use a pair of small condenser Rode NT55's. I don't worry about setting them up as a stereo pair. I used to put up a large condenser near my ear [can't be bothered with that guff any more] in conjunction with a mic pointed towards the twelfth fret neck to body spot. A large diaphragm condenser can sound great though on its own or in combination.

If you can get enough gain out of your mic pre a small condenser gives a focussed sound which can sit nicely in a mix or is just useable and solid in a solo gtr recording. I do usually go for the three to one distance rule when pointing the two mins at the Gtr. Usually close mic'ed with the ubiquitous position mentioned earlier and the other mic for some wood positioned to taste.

Edit: I mentioned the gain on your pre as I think SDCs need a little more gain than LDCs but not as much as ribbons [which unfortunately I have never had one to use].
Thanks for your feedback, Lester!

I actually discovered the Lewitt through one of Warren’s mic comparison videos. He’s awesome!

I guess I’m just trying to decide between one good LDC or a pair of SDCs.

I really dig a warm, percussive tone with a smooth top end and am not sure what would be my best option between the two?

Jason

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:08 am

riffsthatrule wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:47 pm
I really dig a warm, percussive tone with a smooth top end and am not sure what would be my best option between the two?

Jason
I’ve used a Rode NT1a to get that particular tone. That mic is great for tracking acoustic guitars.
Ceo of my own life

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:36 am

I'd suggest having at least one large-diaphragm mic in your arsenal. If there's a 'complimentary' small-capsule mic that's suggested by the manufacturer, then you'll have that option too. I prefer to use two LDC mics in a conventional stereo mic pair, but that's because I'm lazy. I will adjust angle or spacing to get the results I want.

ORTF stereo pair

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:08 am
riffsthatrule wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Jason
I’ve used a Rode NT1a to get that particular tone. That mic is great for tracking acoustic guitars.
Ok, sweet! Thank you, I'll look into that one for sure

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:36 am
I'd suggest having at least one large-diaphragm mic in your arsenal. If there's a 'complimentary' small-capsule mic that's suggested by the manufacturer, then you'll have that option too. I prefer to use two LDC mics in a conventional stereo mic pair, but that's because I'm lazy. I will adjust angle or spacing to get the results I want.

ORTF stereo pair
Awesome thanks, Alan! That wiki article was helpful and I'll definitely look into possible LDC pairs/one LDC, one SDC options as well.

P.S. you're not lazy, Taxi says you're, 'Getting Busy' ;) (sorry, had to)

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 am

riffsthatrule wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:47 pm
Hey everyone!

I've been looking into recording my nylon acoustic guitar as of late and was wondering what mics you guys are using/prefer using on them?

I've had my eye on this one https://amzn.to/3emNeqH and possibly its big brother the 440.

Also, do you guys like to stereo mic your guitars usually? What are some good options for stereo pairs?

Thanks In advance!

Jason
Hi Jason,
For the money the Rhode NT 5 is really good single or matched pair, I use it myself and record my nylon string guitar, however if you can spend more money there is the Earthwerks sr20 mics my favourite....lots of suggestions out there and youtube videos but it is mainly steel string guitars...it's discontinued but the SHURE SM81 is great if you can find one used.

good luck,

Andre

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 am
Hi Jason,
For the money the Rhode NT 5 is really good single or matched pair, I use it myself and record my nylon string guitar, however if you can spend more money there is the Earthwerks sr20 mics my favourite....lots of suggestions out there and youtube videos but it is mainly steel string guitars...it's discontinued but the SHURE SM81 is great if you can find one used.

good luck,

Andre
Hey Andre,

Thanks for your response! I checked out all of the mics you named and am definitely considering all of them. I did find the Shure SM81 on Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone. Would this be your first choice for single micing or would you recommend stereo pairing these as well? Also, the price for the NT5s are great. Even for the stereo pair. I’m liking that option quite a bit.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:16 pm

riffsthatrule wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 am
Hi Jason,

good luck,

Andre
Hey Andre,

Thanks for your response! I checked out all of the mics you named and am definitely considering all of them. I did find the Shure SM81 on Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone. Would this be your first choice for single micing or would you recommend stereo pairing these as well? Also, the price for the NT5s are great. Even for the stereo pair. I’m liking that option quite a bit.
Hi Jason,
So far out of all the mics I own the NT5 for the money is my go to for recording my Flamenco guitar and yes the pair makes a difference in capturing the sound depending on your room, for me I the best sound for my liking is having them both about 18 inches away one facing the body and the other to the neck, however I have done recording as well with just one...the SM81 is great too, I don't own one but have done sessions in studios that SM81 was used and I loved it..it depends also if you are going through a pre -amp or not..this is how you end up with a lot of mics..lol..gotta buy them to try them...my next one is going to be the EARTHWERKS sr20..lots of classical and flamenco guitar recordings are recorded with this mic.