Looking for Classification Assistance

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rrheinsmith

Looking for Classification Assistance

Post by rrheinsmith » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:17 pm

Hey All,

Struggling to identify the genre my songs fit in. I have submitted several under Singer Song Writer and Folk but, i am not sure. The changing landscape of today's music leaves me somewhat confused as to where these songs fit. I have 11 tracks on my page https://www.taxi.com/members/rick-ryan-smith I know 2 are instrumental geared towards trailers but, even that may be incorrect. I know everyone is pressed for time but, if you could spare a few minutes to have a listen and help me so I do not piss off the evaluators I would greatly appreciate it. I expect nothing is worse than having to listen to something that is completely off target from the listing request.

Sincerely,

Rick

Pvgeldrop
Active
Active

Re: Looking for Classification Assistance

Post by Pvgeldrop » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:59 pm

Hi Rick,

Just had a listen to a few songs, and I think singer/songwriter and folk are an apt classification. However, keep in mind that Taxi listings often require a very specific mood and composition, and that the references supplied with them give a better understanding of the specific need of the client. Unless you have a large body of work, submitting existing songs can be very tricky, as they'd need to match the expectations of the clients in mood, style, lyrics, et cetera. A folk song that might be perfect for one listing might be completely unusable for another listing, even if they are in the same genre.

Best of luck!

Paul

rrheinsmith

Post by rrheinsmith » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:54 pm

Paul,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the assist. I will attempt to read and discern the desired client expectations. I feel even these I may struggle with but, the insight as to the classification of the songs helps me understand I am on the right track.

Rick

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:03 pm

rrheinsmith wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:17 pm
Hey All,

Struggling to identify the genre my songs fit in. I have submitted several under Singer Song Writer and Folk but, i am not sure. The changing landscape of today's music leaves me somewhat confused as to where these songs fit. I have 11 tracks on my page https://www.taxi.com/members/rick-ryan-smith I know 2 are instrumental geared towards trailers but, even that may be incorrect. I know everyone is pressed for time but, if you could spare a few minutes to have a listen and help me so I do not piss off the evaluators I would greatly appreciate it. I expect nothing is worse than having to listen to something that is completely off target from the listing request.

Sincerely,

Rick
I would agree with the folk and singer/songwriter, but maybe also a bit adult contemporary? It's a good point that every listing will vary and the name might be slightly different
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com

rrheinsmith

Post by rrheinsmith » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 am

Jonathan,

Thank you for the feedback. I understand the adult contemporary but, to clarify are you saying all of these could fit in that category? Or after listening have you determined a specific song or two?

Rick

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:11 pm

rrheinsmith wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 am
Jonathan,

Thank you for the feedback. I understand the adult contemporary but, to clarify are you saying all of these could fit in that category? Or after listening have you determined a specific song or two?

Rick
I'm definitely no pro, but after just listening to a few tracks, I think just heard some elements of adult contemporary at different times, but still with the folk vibes as mentioned. Definitely not "cut and dried" in that sense if you know what I mean? Just an unprofessional general thought
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com

rrheinsmith

Post by rrheinsmith » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:22 pm

Jonathan,
Again, Thank you. I greatly appreciate the feedback.
Rick