We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DolfoMan
Active
Active

Looking for feedback on my Modern Noir cue

Post by DolfoMan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:18 am

Hello All,

Would really love some feedback on my attempt at Modern Noir for listing S240218NR. Here's my track: https://on.soundcloud.com/qfHMd

This was trickier for me than I expected it to be so be as brutally honest about everything you hear (every failure is a lesson). I'm particularly interested in how real my horns sound and how the form works for these particular references. And while we're at it, as I listened to these tracks they essentially sounded like crime tension cues with a bit of minor jazz influenced harmony, mellow muted trumpet as the melody (solo), and other jazz instruments for flavor. So I wrote with that in mind since that's what I heard. Am I wrong in that summation and if so, how did I miss the mark?

----------------------------------

MODERN NOIR-STYLE CRIME DRAMA HYBRID INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a New Music Licensing Company started by a seasoned industry pro! They already have distribution for their catalog, and because it's a new company this is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a relationship with a growing company!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references we got directly from the company's CEO:

"End Credits" by Terence Blanchard" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPZ0xkxCadE

"For These Kids" by Terence Blanchard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUK2ZWbAHw

"Dirt the Towels" by Terence Blanchard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5l-pqil5E

"Use This" by Terence Blanchard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQ9X4QHDa4

"Been Waitin' for Ya" by Terence Blanchard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Nrb1623z4

Quoting the Company's CEO: "Similar in style to the '50s/'60s/ Noir (sexy, mysterious, dramatic) featuring sax and muted trumpet melodies with a modern rhythmic backdrop. Hip-Hop-style drums and EDM synth bass are completely appropriate, here. This is a genre mishmash."

NOTE: The company's CEO mentioned "Hip-Hop-style drums, EDM synth bass," and TAXI mentions it below as well. Note that it's not something you'll hear much of in the reference tracks, nor is it a requirement for your submissions. It's more of a "that might be cool," thing, but you don't HAVE to have those elements in your tracks. But.. if you DO, it might be cool ;-)

Please submit well-crafted Noir-Style Crime Drama Instrumentals with a modern twist by adding Hip-Hop-style drums, EDM synth bass, and any other instrumentation that lends itself to creating a modern, hybridized version of the classic Noir style. And remember, often times, less is more —don't overdo it! Could your track add mystery and/or dram to a scene in a smokey bar or a dimly-lit alley? Great! Tension-building, bittersweet motifs, pulsing rhythms, and dynamic arrangements that build as they progress could serve you well.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It's rare that all of the references are from the same composer. Do NOT take this to mean that our client is suggesting that you copy what Terence Blanchard has done. Listen to the references ONLY to get yourself in the general stylistic ballpark of this hybridized style, but please respect Mr. Blanchard's uniqueness and creativity. Listen to learn the genre, but not to copy ideas!

Your submissions should be about 1.5 to 2.5 minutes long (give or take). Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Sunday, February 18th, 2024. TAXI # S240218NR

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Looking for feedback on my Modern Noir cue

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:36 am

Hi, I think that's a really good track. IMHO there might be a bit too much reverb on the lead horn but others might disagree. Good luck with the submission.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

DolfoMan
Active
Active

Post by DolfoMan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:47 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:36 am
Hi, I think that's a really good track. IMHO there might be a bit too much reverb on the lead horn but others might disagree. Good luck with the submission.
Thanks! I'll revisit that reverb and see what I think after a day or so. Admittedly I went pretty aggressive with the reverb to try and match what I heard, and to help make the sample sound more realistic.

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 am

Cool track! I think the mood is good, and I also think you were right in the way you thought about it. I agree with Telefunkin's comment about the reverb. Overall, I think the mix is a little on the bright side, but I think the biggest issue is the lead horn sound as it is right now. If you pull back some of the reverb and do some work with EQ, that might help match what I hear in the references. Lastly, although the references don't have real dynamic endings, I would personally try to make that a little more conclusive.

Hope that's helpful and not too nitpick-y! You did a really nice job!