looking for projects to mix

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

looking for projects to mix

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am

I'm looking for small mixing projects to work on for free, just to build up my mixing chops.
If you have anything you've recorded that you want to let me use, please pm me on the site.
I'm only in need of 2 or 3 right now, so don't hesitate to get in touch. I'll mix them for free, and send them back to you for feedback.
Of course if you like them, you can use them. This is just for me to do some "homework" for course materials I'm working through to
improve my mixing skills and speed, and not for any commercial purposes for me.
Thanks!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: looking for projects to mix

Post by hummingbird » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:16 pm

the new forum is strange cause you can post as 'guest' without signing in but then we don't know who you are. You might want to add some contact details to your post :)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:10 pm

That is really weird - thanks for pointing that out Vikki!!!

Hey - this is ANNE from the forums - and I'm really practicing hard over the winter, so if you want to donate the use of some of your recorded tracks to me so I can practice mixing other people's stuff, I'd truly appreciate it.

I don't care so much how good or bad your tracks are - I just need to focus on this part of my work for a while .

I'm not going to do anything but mix them and practice different techniques that I'm learning, and also give you back a (hopefully) good mix of your tracks.
If you are interested in helping me out, please PM me here

Thanks a lot !!
Anne

malkimax

Post by malkimax » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:18 pm

I love to write, produce and record, but I hate mixing. I have lots of stuff you could play with and would be interested in hearing what yo do.
Aby particular genre?

M.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Great idea Anne!!! I learned a lot about mixing by being a 'project mixer' for an 'internet band' I belonged to for a couple of years. The person who wrote the song would provide a reference track, than each of us would record our contributions with the ref track, and then send our raw tracks (via yousendit) to the mixer for mixing. It was all mp3 but here's a song that I wrote, that everyone provided tracks for, and I mixed:
http://www.vikkiflawith.com/audio/VIKKI ... _Heart.m3u

This was wayyy back in (I think) 2005. Not bad for someone with no 'ears' & little knowledge, lol.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 pm

Hello Anne. Good idea, Im not very good with mixing but im just about good enough to get BQ with my rough mixes.
your post kinda gave me some ideas for improving my mixing skill in a different and better way. heres my idea.

one of my friends who is a very good engineer working in the top studios here in the UK. recently i asked if he can give me quick advice on my mixes once a week and he said yes. thats what im gonna do for improving my mixes in real time, my friend can direct me to the right place. so its a ongoing process rather than for a short term college projects (its nothing bad about practising for college work but tutors will not give advice after you graduate). PTP is a good place but i dont wana post 100 of my tracks to be reviewed.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

so basically i managed to find my mixing mentor. i will buy him beer time to time and we both are quite happy and relaxed about it. its easy for him to hear whats wrong with mixes, it takes him one listen for a track, 10 mins a week to give me quick feedback for 2-3 tracks.

i know its not so easy having friends like that ( i met lots of great engineers and producers cos i worked in very good studios as an assistant), but there are loads of talented people who graduated engineering school who are looking for work and projects. they cant be in studios straight away cos studios dont have vacancy. at least one of them can be happy to be a mentor for someone...

jolitab

Post by jolitab » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:01 am

Oh baby, you can mix as many as you want of my tracks, I have a lot of demos on my ilike page http://www.ilike.com/artist/jolita . Let me know Ill send you the wavs.