Looking for some help

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

reggiesnd1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Looking for some help

Post by reggiesnd1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:05 pm

I just received a critique for an instrumental that I submitted. Please go to www.myspace.com/feelitallproductions and check it out. I want to know what yall think about this.The Owner of a Music Production Library wants current-sounding R&B INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. He is looking for a fairly large range of material, from pop-ish Usher to soulful Jill Scott to D'Angelo style R&B tracks. This production music veteran signed many TAXI writers to his previous company, and wants to repeat that same type of success with this venture as well. He needs tracks with button endings - no fade-outs. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 24, 2007. TAXI # S071224RBTitle: nklo N/A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) Music = 8Marketability = 8 Arrangement = 8Production =8Engineering =8Musicianship =8Interesting title; made me wanna take a listen based on this alone! Melodically this certainly sets the tone, and the commanding bassline on the chorus highlights this rather well. As much as I would like to forward this as it certainly has lots of potential, it occurs to me that this may have more Jazz elements infused here as opposed to straight-forward R&B (in my opinion), unfortunately. Again I just want to know what yall think?www.myspace.com/feelitallproductions
Just shut up and make some music. (Im talking to myself!!!)

jameslimborg

Re: Looking for some help

Post by jameslimborg » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm

I listened to the whole thing... I liked it. I definately hear the JAZZ style in there (The chord selection, the soloing style)... I like that too. To me music doesn't get better than this... this is great... and the music could be used for many things on tv (Commercial, tv show intro, etc.). I think this is why some listors screen the music themselves... because there are lots of great music not being sent to them like this one. It would be best for all listors, if they are serious about finding great music, to screen all the music themselves... and not rely on 1 persons judgement... and 'some' listors do that.You did great with this music... there is nothing wrong with this music you created.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Yes James, this is a great piece of music and there isn't anything wrong with it...except that it doesn't quite fit the typical R&B mould that the listing company was asking for. And if it doesn't fit, then it doesn't matter how good or useable the song is. A good example of this is an R&B song that Martin submitted and got a return on(the producer himself screened the submissions on this particular listing).Here is Martin's song: http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=1Now, this song is ridiculously good. But, it didn't fit the listing because the song was for a 15 year old girl and martin's vocalist was singing about drinking wine and other more mature topics.IMO, Reggie's song is better AND more useable than the song I wrote that was forwarded for this same listing. However, IMO, mine sounds more like the typical, maybe even generic, R&B song which is probably why it was forwarded.-Steve

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:15 pm

reggie,James & Steve make real good points. The song is hittin' on all cylinders. But as I read in another post around here somewhere, there's this fine line that we're all tryin' to balance ourselves on. If somethin' is off in the slightest, it could change the screener's perception of the piece vs. the listing. If the screener felt it had some jazz elements in there, well there ya' go. It just killed your chances. I had one returned back to me for the very same reason. I didn't trip though. After listening to it again, they were right. So I put that tune on the shelf to be used later for another listing opportunity. It'll find a forward somewhere. Quote:I think this is why some listors screen the music themselves... because there are lots of great music not being sent to them like this one.I was thinkin' the same thing too. Nothin' against the screeners, but at least when the client listens him/herself, you know for sure where you stand, in terms of whether you really nailed the listing or not. I mean, you would think the client knows exactly what they're lookin' for.But Reg, don't sweat it man. This tune will be on the mark for some listing. In the meantime, keep pumpin' out the tunes and pay careful attention to the listings that you're submitting to. You'll hit the mark soon, no doubt! ibanez468PS-- Hey Steve, how's about a listen to your tune, so we can at least get an idea of what it was they were looking to hear?

reggiesnd1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by reggiesnd1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm not trippin because this piece wasn't forwarded. Its not the first it most defiantly wont be the last. The screener did his/her job that is all I can ask for. I don't agree with the Jazz statement though I know that my production team is weird but I don't hear jazz in that piece I hear rhythm and blues. "I took heed to Bun B so I keep pushing" Earl Shine - Mississippi Menace
Just shut up and make some music. (Im talking to myself!!!)

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:08 am

Hey Reggie,Since this is a music library listing, the most important thing is that it be on target. If you picked up an "R&B" library disc from any of the larger or smaller libraries out there, you wouldn't find a track like yours on it, because it really doesn't fit neatly into the boundaries outlined by the "a la" artists.Yes it definitely has elements of R&B in it, but it doesn't hit the bull's eye. Btw, one thing that makes it sound "jazzy" is the "noodling"...rather than having a clearly defined, concise theme, there's alot of improvisation going on, something which music libraries in general don't like.Quote:I think this is why some listors screen the music themselves... because there are lots of great music not being sent to them like this one. It would be best for all listors, if they are serious about finding great music, to screen all the music themselves... and not rely on 1 persons judgement... and 'some' listors do that.James, I think this statement is not very realistic. Yes there are a few companies that screen their own listings, but for most it's just not worth it...and saying those companies aren't "serious about finding great music" is actually quite condescending, even though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.What you have to realize is that there is a TON of great music out there. All these companies have to be sure about, is that Taxi sends them enough great and on target music for them to run their business. They don't worry about the off-target stuff that's being rejected (and how great it might've been), or the stuff that in the screener's opinion doesn't make the bar, or even the occasional screening mistake. Because it really doesn't affect their business in a negative way. As long as they get (most of) the best and on target material, they're gonna be very happy.Another thing to remember is that music libraries are generally not interested in working with people who don't understand styles and the importance of hitting musical targets.They don't really have time to teach people about this stuff...not if there's a ton of composers and songwriters out there who already know it.Those are just some realities of the business...HTH,matto