'Looking the part'? Photo + Bio

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nicolamorrison

'Looking the part'? Photo + Bio

Post by nicolamorrison » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:29 pm

I’m looking for advice on the following phrase from listing S211025SS

“They’re looking to build professional, ongoing relationships with artists who are highly committed to working hard, and have the drive and ability to deliver a lot of super-strong material. Having the right type of image and “looking the part” could be icing on the cake, but first and foremost, it's about having great music and strong work ethic!”

It sounds like they’re looking for composers, rather than touring etc artists, so I’m wondering what ‘looking the part’ actually looks like?
I feel well suited to this listing but not sure how to convey this through my profile.
Also do I need to attach photos and a bio somehow when I submit? Or if they’re public on my page is that all I need to do?
Thank you! :D

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 'Looking the part'? Photo + Bio

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:27 am

In my view, a big part of being an 'artist' is appearance. Like it or not, its 'selling', and selling yourself is a big contributor towards selling your music. Its the talent behind the image that counts in the end, as said in the listing, but a bit of image goes a long way when you're looking for every advantage to be noticed and remembered. Think of all the famous artists you like, Google their photos, then take apart their image. If you'd never heard their music before what would those images have told you? Do you think they 'look the part'? Do you show up for gigs looking like you've just gone to the bar down the road for the local open mic night, or do you make a first impression with your appearance that is natural and convincing for you because it reflects your personality (girl next door, wild child, Goth, disco chick, etc - sorry for the stereotypes but they're just for illustration)? Do you look the part, whatever that part is because its your own creation?

I didn't see the listing but I'd say give them what they asked for. If they want any more they'll get back to you, but be prepared with some good professional photos, a well written bio and any performance reviews you can snip the best bits from. Best of luck!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 am

The listing doesn't ask for photo and bio. I've seen some listings that do ask for photo, bio, and existing fanbase; this listing does not.
So if I had offer a WAG, I'd say the 'looking the part' bit is to see if you as composer are fully invested in this style of music. If it's your 'thing', then I'd say you're good to go. Be prepared, as others have said, to provide additional info.
Also, your pic and bio on your member page will be the first resource used if Taxi is asked to forward that content with the track. That's how it usually is, anyway.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:03 am

Maybe start with your Avatar here on the Forum?!? :D
Here is an instructional video I made: https://youtu.be/WD7AyULCzs0
If I go too fast, use the pause button :P
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

nicolamorrison

Post by nicolamorrison » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice!! :) :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:34 am

AlanHall wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 am
The listing doesn't ask for photo and bio. I've seen some listings that do ask for photo, bio, and existing fanbase; this listing does not.
It does

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:39 am

Don't worry if you don't feel you look like someone from a magazine, I think as long as you present the best version of yourself.

Using professional photos ( trust me , I am married to a photographer and it's obvious when someone has done it themselves ) and hair / makeup / stylists will make a massive difference.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:30 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:34 am
AlanHall wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 am
It does
You're right. It does. I missed that. Thanks for the correction, Mark!
I still stand by my statement that Taxi uses the photo and bio provided on the member page.

"Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. Include lyrics, a photo, and a bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, October 25th, 2021. TAXI # S211025SS"

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:16 pm

nicolamorrison wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:29 pm
It sounds like they’re looking for composers, rather than touring etc artists, so I’m wondering what ‘looking the part’ actually looks like?
I think they are looking for singer/songwriters that they can promote as artists and build fanbases for via digital media, while at the same time getting them sync placements - which, by the way, can also result in fans, if lots of people hear your song on TV, in a movie or an ad, and love it. I would make sure that the picture - as well as anything else you send - is highly professional. Take a look at the pictures here:

https://www.palladiumrecords.com/

I imagine the client here is a newly formed record company with a strategy similar to Palladium.

===
Michael

waltergrund
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waltergrund » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:45 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:03 am
Maybe start with your Avatar here on the Forum?!? :D
Here is an instructional video I made: https://youtu.be/WD7AyULCzs0
If I go too fast, use the pause button :P
Thanks for the video. Helped me a lot. [I think your audio is only on the right channel. Plus: the Ukulele-music in the background is nice, but disturbs me while listening to your voice. Maybe softer next time?]
Walter