Luxury Pop Instrumentals Dispatch # D220917LL

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Otis12062002
Active
Active

Luxury Pop Instrumentals Dispatch # D220917LL

Post by Otis12062002 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:48 am

Hey, did a track for the luxury pop instrumentals on dispatch.
Just wanted some feedback on how it can be improved before I submit it for the best chance of success.

Here's the track and brief.

https://www.taxi.com/members/qVnwNDuTTi ... ew-new-era

Lots of LIGHT "LUXURY" POP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful International Music Library with an impressive track record of great placements in TV, Film, and Commercials!

NOTE: This Library is BRAND NEW to requesting music from TAXI's members, so this is an awesome opportunity to create a new, ongoing relationship for your music with a great company whose catalog you're probably not in, yet!

This Library is searching for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general ballpark of the following examples we got directly from them:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Client: "The compositions should maintain interest with movement and sound design, have purpose in mind, and have the highest production values. If you can’t quickly imagine 3 things you'd watch or listen to using this piece of music, it potentially isn’t right for this library. All tracks should have a clear start and end, they should not fade, and must come to a firm conclusion."

Please send them well-composed Pop Instrumentals that ooze sophistication and luxury and have an overall light touch and feel - instrumentals that could work well for Advertising and Promotions for high-end/luxury brands. Your submissions should have inspiring motifs, solid grooves, and engaging arrangements with plenty of dynamics, forward motion, and interest. Your instrumentation can vary, but should be in the ballpark of the styles presented in the references – nailing the "light" and "luxurious" feel is key to this request. Your production should be polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and not dated sounding.

Submissions should be about two-and-a-half minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings are needed for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Library will need 30-second and 60-second versions of your Instrumentals AS WELL AS stems, but not yet! All you need to submit for now are the Full Instrumentals, but please have 30-second and 60-second versions, AND stems on hand ready-to-go. Read the next paragraph carefully...

Critical FYI: The 30-second and 60-second versions are likely to be used for advertising, so they actually need to end at :29.5 seconds and :59.5 seconds, including reverb tails and instrument ring outs. TV and radio stations use computers to switch from one thing to another on VERY precise schedules, so if your reverb tails or instrument ring outs exceed :29.5 seconds and/or :59.5 seconds, your music will not work, and cannot be used.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Luxury Pop Instrumentals Dispatch # D220917LL

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 am

I'm not a cue guy (more vocal songs) but I'm pretty sure this won't make it for the listing which appears to be very high bar.
Quoting the Client: "The compositions should maintain interest with movement and sound design, have purpose in mind, and have the highest production values. If you can’t quickly imagine 3 things you'd watch or listen to using this piece of music, it potentially isn’t right for this library...'

Please send them well-composed Pop Instrumentals that ooze sophistication and luxury and have an overall light touch and feel - instrumentals that could work well for Advertising and Promotions for high-end/luxury brands. Your submissions should have inspiring motifs, solid grooves, and engaging arrangements with plenty of dynamics, forward motion, and interest. Your instrumentation can vary, but should be in the ballpark of the styles presented in the references – nailing the "light" and "luxurious" feel is key to this request. Your production should be polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and not dated sounding.
I'm not hearing the movement and the piano is so repetitive, it really doesn't maintain interest. Not an inspiring motif, luxurious, etc. I can't comment on the quality of the actual virtual instrument sounds, but others can.

Wish I had better news. I'd rather be wrong!

:D Casey

PS I don't know if you are a new member or not but one thing that's helpful is to learn to read between the lines of a listing and gauge the "bar" which tells you how selective this client is with the opportunity.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:14 pm

I have to agree with Casey on this, the cue veers from the listing requirement.
Otis12062002 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:48 am
Please send them well-composed Pop Instrumentals that ooze sophistication and luxury and have an overall light touch and feel - instrumentals that could work well for Advertising and Promotions for high-end/luxury brands.
I'm getting a more homey/comfort mood from your piece rather than luxury. Maybe suitable for 'your hometown bank' or a kind of organic breadloaf, not so much for diamond rings and Lexuses (Lexi?). Also in the second half of the piece, the piano starts wandering, not in keeping with the "maintain interest with movement and sound design" of the brief. I think it can become a marketable cue, but misses the high bar of this (or any ADVERTISING-oriented) listing.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Otis12062002
Active
Active

Post by Otis12062002 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:20 am

Thank you so much for both of your replies. Great honest feedback here, love it.
Couple questions, 1 how do you make a melody luxurious? What makes it like that? Complexity? Jazzy? Simplistic?
Also when you say the piano starts wandering I think I was doing a solo to switch it up. How do I keep the piano interesting without wandering too much? Just change the melody every so often?

Otis12062002
Active
Active

Post by Otis12062002 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:42 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 am
I'm not a cue guy (more vocal songs) but I'm pretty sure this won't make it for the listing which appears to be very high bar.
Quoting the Client: "The compositions should maintain interest with movement and sound design, have purpose in mind, and have the highest production values. If you can’t quickly imagine 3 things you'd watch or listen to using this piece of music, it potentially isn’t right for this library...'

I'm not hearing the movement and the piano is so repetitive, it really doesn't maintain interest. Not an inspiring motif, luxurious, etc. I can't comment on the quality of the actual virtual instrument sounds, but others can.

Wish I had better news. I'd rather be wrong!

:D Casey

PS I don't know if you are a new member or not but one thing that's helpful is to learn to read between the lines of a listing and gauge the "bar" which tells you how selective this client is with the opportunity.
Thank you so much for both of your replies. Great honest feedback here, love it.
Couple questions, 1 how do you make a melody luxurious? What makes it like that? Complexity? Jazzy? Simplistic?
Also when you say the piano starts wandering I think I was doing a solo to switch it up. How do I keep the piano interesting without wandering too much? Just change the melody every so often?