Lyric sheet question

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Lyric sheet question

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Hooks, really helpful solid info. When you say to label the sections, what is usually done to format the label? Parentheses, underline, bold, italics?If you have a minute, look at "Set Me Free" and see if I got it right. http://nomiyah.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18#18. It has back vocals with different lyrics than the lead.If you want to listen, it's on the audio player on my home page www.nomiyah.com.I always add contact info too, but important reminder.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Whoah! You got groove, girl! Very cool tunes! I really liked 'Time It Takes' and 'Set Me Free'. Impressive work!I thought the way you did your lyric sheet was just fine.I have a system, so to speak, for lyric sheets. I'm a hopelessly detail-oriented person and as they say, 'success lies in the details' so... I use an 11 point font for the body of the lyric and an 8 point font for the section labels, the copyright notice and the contact info, which I italicize.I use 11 point Ariel because I can usually fit the entire lyric on one page and it is still at a readable size. I always try to fit the lyric to one page.If that sounds a little obsessive, worry not! The voices in my head continually tell me that I'm not quite insane yet!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks for listening and the great comments. Sweet of you to say.If you're insanely detail oriented, so am I. After seeing a publisher literally roll his eyes and sigh upon receiving a 2 page lyric sheet, I struggle to force it onto one page. Yet I know many people have trouble reading small print so I try to keep it 12 pt.I like the 8 pt label and contact tip and I'll try the Arial font. I've been known to reduce the space between sections to 6 to get everything to fit.I was italicizing the labels but not the contact and copyright. I'll try out your suggestions.Thanks for engaging in technobabble with me, few people are interested to the degree I am, though apparently you're one of my kind.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Yep, I go through the details for sure. Likewise, it's nice to meet another of my kind...I do think it's important to fit the lyric to one page even if you have to use a "Chorus Repeat" at the end to save space.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:03 pm

Hmmm, I was just using the label (Chorus). Are you saying I should use the label (Repeat Chorus) instead?

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 pm

(Chorus) is cool. I don't think it would matter. Either way, they'd get the idea... Hopefully...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:38 am

Quote:I use 11 point Ariel because I can usually fit the entire lyric on one page and it is still at a readable size. I always try to fit the lyric to one page.Actually a great piece of advice. People seem to really dislike two page lyric sheets, in my experience. In fact, I usually write out chorusses, but if that means the lyric stretches over two pages (or the font size gets too small), I'll use "repeat chorus" instead. Anything to keep it to one page .

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:47 am

Quote:I don't know about NY or LA, but in Nashville it goes like this... This info pertains to any music exec, not just publishers.The majority opinion is to write out the choruses and avoid using "Repeat". First you said avoid using Repeat, then you said use label "Repeat Chorus". I'm just wondering about industry standards. I'm sure it won't make or break a song, but you know, details add up.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:11 pm

If you submit with Broadjam it is hard to know what it will look like when Taxi prints it out. If I go by what it looks like, they must use 9 point type. Any thoughts there?
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:34 pm

While I have you folks here, does it make any sense to label the stanzas in a verse verse verse format? And one last (I hope)--I have one song that is structured verse/verse but the end of each verse is a two-line tag that is quite similar to the previous, but not quite the same. At the moment I think of it is a repetitive hook at verse end, but should I call it something extremely clever to impress these erudite publishers? Seriously, I haven't come across the technical name for it if there is one.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin