Lyric sheet question

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Lyric sheet question

Post by hookstownbrown » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:41 pm

Nomi, there really is no industry standard per se. There is just common practice. It's just part of what I've picked up on from attending various song camps and symposiums over the years and talking to pros. The basics are common practice here. The details are details that I have played with and settled on.The only time I would use a "Repeat" label is on the final chorus, if it helped keep the lyric to one page. You can also combine lines in verses and choruses to save space. There will always be a lyric that forces you to prioritize what's important when it goes onto paper. And I really do think that such detail in a lyric sheet helps.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:54 pm

Quote:You can also combine lines in verses and choruses to save space. There will always be a lyric that forces you to prioritize what's important when it goes onto paper."Set Me Free" was a challenge to squeeze onto a single page. Originally I had the back vocals written out as sung:(I say to myself, say to myselfThat I'll stay to myself, stay to myselfI say to myself, say to myselfThat I'll stay to myself, stay to myselfI'm saving myself, saving myself for true love)I went from 5 lines on each verse to 1 with the abbreviated version:(I say to myself, that I'll stay to myself, I'm saving myself for true love)

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:00 pm

I would label each section regardless. It shows professionalism. As for the tag line, I think most people would separate it and label it "Tag", especially if it is slightly different each time.Ultimately, the goal is to make the lyric easy to read and follow. You should write it with the assumption that someone may read it without the music to guide them. Labels take the place of musical cues and tell a reader where the lyric is going.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:04 pm

Quote:Quote:You can also combine lines in verses and choruses to save space. There will always be a lyric that forces you to prioritize what's important when it goes onto paper."Set Me Free" was a challenge to squeeze onto a single page. Originally I had the back vocals written out as sung:(I say to myself, say to myselfThat I'll stay to myself, stay to myselfI say to myself, say to myselfThat I'll stay to myself, stay to myselfI'm saving myself, saving myself for true love)I went from 5 lines on each verse to 1 with the abbreviated version:(I say to myself, that I'll stay to myself, I'm saving myself for true love)And that's a good example of making it work. I had no problem following the lyric at all and it felt like it fit with the music the way you had it written.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi I think it's time we all realized just how neurotic we are!!! Repeat, don't repeat, big font, small font, etc... I emphasize WE here 'cos I'm no less crazy...This reminds me of baseball players who have rituals before each at bat and swear they really matter... Bottom line is, make it neat and presentable... Given that, the rest depends on the material. So, what's the difference between neurotics and psychotics?Neurotics dream of castles in the air...Psychotics live in castles in the air...and... Psychiatrists.. well they collect the rent... Casey(damn! Where'd I put my Prozac pills?)

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:31 pm

I admitted I'm obsessed...