Lyric writer in UK

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AngusFowler

Lyric writer in UK

Post by AngusFowler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 am

Hello everyone,

because I'm British I hate to admit that I suffer from depression. However I want you to know the reason behind this post. There are very few things that quieten my mind, but writing poems is one of them. Except, according to a musical friend, they are not poems; more like songs. The trouble is I don't play an instrument and am not allowed to sing. Anyway, I found this forum, signed up to the email alerts and have started writing to specific briefs. Here is a link to an upbeat pop song - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnmjluimqw9c9 ... 3.pdf?dl=0 - but I can write almost anything (especially really sad stuff :roll: ). I've never studied song writing and they maybe technically awful but if you are struggling with lyrics, it doesn't hurt to give me a try.

Cheers for reading,

Angus.

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Lyric writer in UK

Post by thegajman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am

Hey, good for you Angus. Keep at it. Yes, songs can be sad. I can relate to your song having lost a brother myself.

One thing I discovered at the Road Rally this year is that song lyrics are becoming less like poems, well less like rhyming poems anyway. I've always written with rhymes, but it can be liberating to place less importance on the rhyme and more focus on the message. That's my plan anyway!

All the best to you.

Glenn

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Angus
First, you certainly don't have to be British to suffer from depression. (Only to be depressed while driving on the left side of the road :P ). Depression is a common ailment everywhere and you are not alone. Millions and millions of people struggle with it every day. I wish you the very best and hope you are getting any needed help for it. Fortunately, there is much less of a stigma about it nowadays and people are more willing to talk openly about it and get help.

Yes, poems and song lyrics are different. If you want to get more into writing actual song lyrics, I would suggest getting some books on the subject. There are a few great ones out there. I'll come back with some suggestions. The thing to remember about songwriting is "Write not what you want to say but what people want to hear"... So sometimes I start out writing something personal but mold it to be more universal such that anyone can relate. Also, hit songs have a structure, generally verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus (VCVCBC) or similar where as poems don't always have that.

Also, simply study hit songs. Check out the latest hits on Billboard for the genre you are interested in and Google for the lyrics. It's all out there. Google is your friend.

Well I hope that is helpful.

Wishing you the best,
:D Casey

Books (I would start with one good lyric writing book such as one by Sheila Davis)
Successful Lyric Writing by Sheila Davis
The Craft of Lyric Writing by Sheila Davis
Writing Better Lyrics by Pat Pattison
The Craft & Business of Songwriting by John Braheny
Shortcuts to Hit Songwriting by Robin Frederick

AngusFowler

Post by AngusFowler » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks Glenn and Casey. That's really encouraging. I have bought the Sheila Davis books!