We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Lyrics: "Meagan Crying"

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:56 pm

removed... old stuff ;)
Last edited by Casey H on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Lyrics: "Meagan Crying"

Post by arkjack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi CaseyI gave this a listen. I can't say I know so much about crafting as to be able to comment. I kind of get the picture and the story but there feels like a lot of blanks for me to fill in..... as to the relationship the singer had with Megan. Was it platonic or serious... platonic but wanted to be serious.... At the risk of being labled a sexist pig..... I would say clue the listener in a little more as to how far it got..... add some steam... was it more than just a campfire?I don't know if me asking those questions helps you (hope it does)..... just some ideas.... what grabbed me...Best regards,ArkJack

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:46 pm

removed... old stuff... ;)
Last edited by Casey H on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:17 pm

Casey,I like the image of camping used in the chorus. It's a little confusing for a hook. I do think it's important not to repeat a word instead of rhyming especially in the chorus.The verses are hard to follow. Was that what you wanted (you said it was meant to be artsy)? I like when a song resembles a movie. This one loses me, I have no idea what's going on.I do like the contrast of Meagan crying and the memory of her laughing. If this were my song, I would not leave so much mystery. Tell us why she's crying now, what is the relationship between you and her, etc. Give us some images to paint the picture.There is a moodiness to this I like and think it could be made more powerful with a rewrite.Thanks for sharing.Nomi

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:55 am

Thanks Nomi The fact that people find it so confusing tells me a lot.I wrote this very early on in my songwriting life and it is very personal. It suffers from the problem many new songwriters face- we write some lyric lines that sound great with the music and are perfect for the feelings and thoughts in OUR heads, but mean nothing to anyone else. We get "married" to some lines and refuse to let go of it even though they aren't right for the masses. The "scorched earth" line is a good example of that. I know why it's there and what it means to me. But why would anyone else have a clue?You and ArkJack asking what is my relationship to Meagan in the song was a real eye opener . I never thought about that, since the song is not about my relationship with her, other than feeling sad for what someone else did to her. One day I want to get this song re-recorded, but I do want the lyrics shaped up more first. And I would have no illusions of the song being very marketable, given a specific storyline and girl's name... I just want it preserved as something special for me- an expression of some intense feelings of my younger years. Casey

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 am

Quote:Thanks Nomi The fact that people find it so confusing tells me a lot.I wrote this very early on in my songwriting life and it is very personal. It suffers from the problem many new songwriters face- we write some lyric lines that sound great with the music and are perfect for the feelings and thoughts in OUR heads, but mean nothing to anyone else. We get "married" to some lines and refuse to let go of it even though they aren't right for the masses. The "scorched earth" line is a good example of that. I know why it's there and what it means to me. But why would anyone else have a clue?You and ArkJack asking what is my relationship to Meagan in the song was a real eye opener . I never thought about that, since the song is not about my relationship with her, other than feeling sad for what someone else did to her. One day I want to get this song re-recorded, but I do want the lyrics shaped up more first. And I would have no illusions of the song being very marketable, given a specific storyline and girl's name... I just want it preserved as something special for me- an expression of some intense feelings of my younger years. CaseyCasey,I have been wanting to respond, if nothing else, out of courtesy as you have been so open and helpful in reviewing some of my stuff.I've read the lyrics probably a dozen times now. There is some cool imagery, nice word flow, but for the life of me, I can't figure the story out. I don't know who decided, who is free, who's in the tub with who??? Don't mean to be flippant, as I know this is about a personal memory. Maybe it will help to give some examples of what I thought the story might be. First thought was that Meagan was an old girlfriend who's memory was in the same places as the darling by the fire now --- but that doesn't seem to fit. Next thought was that Meagan was the couple's little girl who grew up - makes a little more sense, but not totally. Then some lines like scorched earth, tears on the leaves and trees, fade from view, etc.... makes me think that something tragic happened to Meagan at that camp- and the couple by the fire don't speak of it, but wonder if the other feels it too. Yet the last chorus line "I loved everything about those years" seems to negate that story too.I've been hesitant to post, because I have this gut feeling that there is some personal tragedy involved in this, and I didn't want to unintentionally belittle some detail of that, and hope I haven't.I like the melody and folk tone of the song, though it does have that "puff the magic dragon" thing going on - which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but doesn't seem to fit the sad intent of the words.I guess bottom line I don't know what the sadness is about, or even really who is sad, and what the heck campfire wood has to do with it all.I'll be glad to hear the actual story, because riddles drive me crazy!Aub

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:43 am

removed... old stuff ;)
Last edited by Casey H on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:39 am

Casey, I would have to categorize this piece as Folk-Dada . A sort of Anti-song. Opposing the established rules of form and content ... The story is - there is no story. The meaning and worth of "Megan Crying" is completely dependent upon the concealed explanation. RanG

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:28 pm

Quote:Casey, I would have to categorize this piece as Folk-Dada . A sort of Anti-song. Opposing the established rules of form and content ... The story is - there is no story. The meaning and worth of "Megan Crying" is completely dependent upon the concealed explanation. RanGNow if I only knew the storyline of your post, Ran!! LOL casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:57 pm

removed... old post ;)
Last edited by Casey H on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.