Lyrics

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Lyrics

Post by nknjmes » Tue May 08, 2007 9:09 am

The song "What Hurts The Most" by Rascal Flatts, I think is a really good song. I think the lyrics are solid. You know the line where it goes "having so much to say, and letting you walk away"? There's no explanation as to why he didn't say anything to her. Was he scared? Or is she really not that important but now that she's gone he misses her? I'm not sure what happened. Is that left for the listener to interpret? Based on my taxi reviews, if it were my lyric, the first comments I would expect is that I need to explain more about the character involved to create more emotional appeal. That I need to justify why the listener should feel bad for him, and that I need to explain what stopped him from saying something. Even if the melody and hooks were great, the song wouldn't get forwarded based on the lyrics needing more depth. Of course I'm just assuming this based on my experience with taxi reviews for pop-country listings I've submitted. I'm just not sure If I'll ever get to the lyrical depth required to get an "artist" forward. Oh well,

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Lyrics

Post by arkjack » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 am

First Grasshopper.... you must understand that song written by Jeffrey Steele.... who currently hold title "assistant to God" in Nashville.... thus.... does not matter if lyric line a little out of place.... Steele not need to submit his songs to Taxi to get forward, hold, or cut... honorable major record label waiting on Jeffrey to write more song........ but humble and lowly ArkJack and nknjmes ..... Taxi best choice..... maybe get lucky... ArkJack san

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Tue May 08, 2007 11:35 am

Keeping my fingers crossed Grasshopper....hope for most honorable forward!

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 am

But here's my take on it. Jeffrey Steele didn't explain more about the character, didn't justify his sad feelings, or explain why he didn't say anything when she walked away because.....he didn't have time. The song is only 3 minutes long FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... He kept it straight and to the point and cohesive enough for any normal human...

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:43 am

seems to me from my readings on variousboards that there is an over emphasis on explaining every last detail. Like most listeners are totally dumb.As long as the story flows and allows you to fill in the gaps with your own interpretation I think that is ok. Its when a lyric maakes you want to say "WTF did that mean?" that there is an issue

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:16 pm

As arkjack mentioned, new writers are held to ridiculously high standards. This is especially true in country music and mainstream pop. If you are writing for the film/TV market and most of the lyrics are good and there is a strong hook both musically and lyrically, 1-2 questionable lines can be overlooked. It's very frustrating, I know. You hear a zillion songs on the radio with lyric lines for which you have no idea what the singer is talking about. That's show biz... Casey

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Quote:The song "What Hurts The Most" by Rascal Flatts, I think is a really good song. I think the lyrics are solid. You know the line where it goes "having so much to say, and letting you walk away"? There's no explanation as to why he didn't say anything to her. Was he scared? Or is she really not that important but now that she's gone he misses her? I'm not sure what happened. Is that left for the listener to interpret? Based on my taxi reviews, if it were my lyric, the first comments I would expect is that I need to explain more about the character involved to create more emotional appeal. That I need to justify why the listener should feel bad for him, and that I need to explain what stopped him from saying something. Even if the melody and hooks were great, the song wouldn't get forwarded based on the lyrics needing more depth. Of course I'm just assuming this based on my experience with taxi reviews for pop-country listings I've submitted. I'm just not sure If I'll ever get to the lyrical depth required to get an "artist" forward. Oh well, I think we should all write a TAXI rejection song to get out our frustrations. Here's my next submission to the screeners. I'M PITCHING TO TAXII went out drinking last nightI was sad and my eyes were mistyGot another song rejectedBy one of 'them' high bar listingsGot the songwriting blues for sureSometimes it's hard to copeWhen a screener throws down 4's and 5'sA girl can lose all hopeBut I'll keep on tryin'And success will have to waitOh, I'm pitching to TAXIThey don't let you crash the gateSometimes I get depressedWhen I open my critiquesThey say my song could use a bridgeOr my melody needs to be tweakedOh, I'm still stuck in 'BamaNo sitting next to Elliot ParkA grammy win for song of the yearIs just a shot in the darkBut I'll keep on tryin'And success will have to waitOh, Im pitching to TAXIThey don't let you crash the gateThey don't let you crash the gate....oh no...