Lyrics Writer vs Songwriter

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CourtneyB

Lyrics Writer vs Songwriter

Post by CourtneyB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello my name is Courtney, and I write Lyrics/Create songs using various producers beats/instrumentals. I wanted to ask if there's a difference between a Songwriter and Lyrics writer who creates song ideas i.e vocals, melodies, chorus, backgrounds etc.... I am really just trying to understand. The major issue I am having is not being the creator/owner of the music itself, was trying to find the value in what I have always done creating song ideas purchasing exclusive, or non exclusive licenses thinking I would be able to submit what I have created, but I cannot because I cannot copyright the music because I did not create it. I am a little sad because I have several song ideas all various genres and I may not be able to submit any because I did not create music. I cannot play any instruments, which is main reason why I write lyrics to music that has no words yet. Thank you in advance for any feedback!:-) I am providing a link to my profile to review some of the song ideas I am working on. I am working on getting better equipment, and only have my voice right now to use. Doing the best I can right now with what I have available!:-)

https://www.taxi.com/members/courtneyb-lyricfam

Best
CourtneyB

mrichmond56

Re: Lyrics Writer vs Songwriter

Post by mrichmond56 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:41 am

If you can write good lyrics I will send you two or three of my instrumentals you write the lyrics and we will split the royalties. send me your email address. What genre do you write in? etc.
Mark mrichmond56@gmail.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Well a song is usually defined as lyrics and music. Why not just learn to play as well whilst we are all in lockdown?

It's not super hard on a level needed to write songs, you don't have to be a virtuoso. Just learn a few easy and go from there.

CourtneyB

Post by CourtneyB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 am

mrichmond56 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:41 am
If you can write good lyrics I will send you two or three of my instrumentals you write the lyrics and we will split the royalties. send me your email address. What genre do you write in? etc.
Mark mrichmond56@gmail.com
Apologies Mark for the delay in my response, I did not think anyone would ever reply!!!LOL I write in a variety of Genres, my motto is "I don't write for Everybody, I write for somebody" take a listen and I would be honor to try and write to your music, that would be an AMAZING opportunity!!!:-)

https://www.taxi.com/members/courtneyb-lyricfam

Best
Courtney

CourtneyB

Post by CourtneyB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:26 am

Thank you and apologies to everyone for the delay in my response, I really appreciate the feed back, and would be honored if I could stay in contact with each of you, and yes I am very new on Taxi, and trying to figure out if the Piano looks cooler to play than the Guitar, but honestly I love them both equally and have written song ideas to both instruments!!!:-) The Collaboration Forum sounds like a great idea, and Mark again I would be honored to attempt to write/create a song idea to your music. Thank you all so much again and I will be checking out the collaboration forum, especially since I am laid off from work, and like you said no better time to learn how to play accept my wife is working from home during the day, and sleeps at night, so I hope you live in Phoenix area, if so I can come over with Social distancing of course and learn and play in your Garage, k!!!!LOL Kidding everyone stay safe and be in touch soon!:-)

Best
Courtney

SouthernLad

Post by SouthernLad » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:18 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:34 pm
Why not just learn to play as well whilst we are all in lockdown?

It's not super hard on a level needed to write songs, you don't have to be a virtuoso. Just learn a few easy and go from there.
This is where I am at. Any pointers on how you can just "learn a few easy"? LOL

I know some basic chords on guitar and piano, but man o' man, for some reason just hitting a couple of chords over and over to me singing just does not sound like a demo.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm

SouthernLad wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:18 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:34 pm
Why not just learn to play as well whilst we are all in lockdown?

This is where I am at. Any pointers on how you can just "learn a few easy"? LOL

I know some basic chords on guitar and piano, but man o' man, for some reason just hitting a couple of chords over and over to me singing just does not sound like a demo.
You could always use something like EZkeys to help you

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Courtney
We have lots of lyricists here who collaborate with others who write music, do production, etc. The result is a work that is jointly owned.

Tons of talented people here always looking for good lyrics. We also need to separate songwriting from production. Obviously, for songwriting, all you need is melody and words. I know people who just sing the song into a voice recorder. I'm a "it's about the song first" kind of person.

You may want to post some of your lyrics on this forum to see if you can get some interest from collaborators. If you'd like to share with me anything you have privately, feel free to PM. Although I do write music and lyrics, I'm not that good at setting someone's lyrics to music. But I'd be happy to give you my thoughts and possibly point you in some directions.

Best
:D Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:19 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:02 am
Casey H wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 pm
You may want to post some of your lyrics on this forum to see if you can get some interest from collaborators. If you'd like to share with me anything you have privately, feel free to PM.
Hey Casey

I am not sure how often Courtney checks the forum: Maybe not very often.
If you're interested in some of Courtney's lyrics, here are 4 tracks he co-wrote (lyrics in the track descriptions): https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/sets/vocal-productions
I am not a lyrics person, but each time I was astonished how quickly he would come up with his lines for my instrumentals!

If anyone wants to get in touch with Courtney for a collab, let me know, and I can hook you up.

Tom
Awesome! Great stuff!! :D 8-) 8-) Thanks for sharing! Just the other day I was talking to someone from the rally who could use lyrics for beats, pop, etc. I'll try to connect Courtney with them.

Casey