Making do with a studio computer

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Making do with a studio computer

Post by spariam » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:21 am

[quote author=matto board=nick thread=1154567429 post=1154628662]Quote:When I said "whole big sampled symphony orchestra" i meant full VSL or EWQL Platinum...thought that was obvious from the terms "whole" and "big" , sorry if it wasn't. Of course you can use a sub $1000 computer to run orchestral libraries... Right...I stopped at Gold. I doubt I could go with Platinum on my machine...but I've still done a lot with low-end machines...

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:25 am

Quote:When I said "whole big sampled symphony orchestra" i meant full VSL or EWQL Platinum...thought that was obvious from the terms "whole" and "big" Now that's a horse of a different color! BTW, I'd like to see how much of Platinum my computer could handle. Can I borrow $5000 for the Platinum super-duper combo and pay you back, um... you know... when I get a chance?

redbeard

Post by redbeard » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:38 am

Nick, let me say it another way.When I think of Media machine I start thinking MAC (I'm sure there's others) My point was that you can do a lot with a "Plain ol" PC" (pentium 2+) I have a 2.4 which is a pretty simple machine. I has a large drive in it, it's pretty much dedicated to recording. For a poor man's budget it does a great job. ( well under $1000) I never meant using a computer is a comprimise but using a "Non Generic media, lower priced machine" is.If you don't have the $1000, you can still get a good sound with a higher processing lower priced PC with good software and a little care in your recording process.That's all I meant
It's not how loud you play but what people hear that really matters...

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 am

Ah, I didn't realize you meant Mac. Yes, PCs are still a little cheaper at the entry level - although the Mac Mini isn't bad.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:43 am

I prefer older computers myself.Here's the centerpiece of my studio:

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 am

hehe...now that's a nice studio machine Here's the first computer I ever used (seriously)...

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:58 am

Wow --- Nice modern furniture!Here's my first --- then I bought a Mac Classic and the rest is history!Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:22 am

What year was that, Ern? Early '60s? I love it! They must have had transistors, but ICs weren't around then.You know, I remember a conversation I had with my best friend in high school (who's still my best friend) in 1974. We were saying "one day everyone will have their own computer at home!" It seemed like a very far-off idea.Little did we know that it was only four years away.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 am

(I was talking about the Fortran computer, of course, not the other two pix.)You were late into the game, Ern! I started with a Yamaha QX-21, RX-15 drum machine, and DX-7 in 1985. Then I moved to a QX-5 - great sequencer - then an Atari 520ST...and then when I saw how much faster Passport MasterTracks Pro ran on a Mac Plus, I moved to that.(Since then I've bought about 20 Macs - I'm not kidding!)

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 am

Quote:(I was talking about the Fortran computer, of course, not the other two pix.)Yeah, it's humorous that they created this model "to illustrate how a home computer could look like in the year 2004." --- Dig the steering wheel! It looks like they took it off of Bing Crosby's yacht! Ern