Making significant $ with film/TV music

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Making significant $ with film/TV music

Post by jude3 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:42 pm

ThanksI think they know.They have plenty of success. They don't need my little things.I'll be there.

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:23 am

Jun 29, 2009, 1:15pm, jude3 wrote:I Enough of my rambling. Hope I helped someone. People here helped me so I want to pass it on if I can.Thanks Mazz, Matto and Dave.That is EXACTLY what this forum is all about. Call me Pollyanna-ish, but isn't it so much better hearing stuff like this, and not the negative stuff? Ahhhhhhh.....Michael

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:35 am

Jun 30, 2009, 10:05am, TAXI wrote:Believe it or not, the majority of our members who get deals and/or make money, don't tell us. Pretty sure they assume the companies they get the deals/placements from tell us. They don't!Reminder to all; please email David@taxi.com when you do get a deal, placement or check. We like to brag Warm regards,MichaelML,Taxi could start a new campaign of getting people to start Tweeting about their deals. Instead of Taxi doing it, (which always looks like advertising), encourage members who get deals to brag about them on Twitter. And get other members to RETWEET those successes. That's where the power of Twitter is. People love to retweet great news that is interesting. Unfortunately, some people have a big red flag about bragging about their success, maybe we need a more polite term for it. From my perspective, being able and willing to talk about GREAT NEWS is not bragging. There is no harm being done to anyone else by talking about SUCCESS.The more people talk about Taxi being a part of their individual success, the better.!

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Jun 30, 2009, 10:23am, TAXI wrote:Jun 29, 2009, 1:15pm, jude3 wrote:I Enough of my rambling. Hope I helped someone. People here helped me so I want to pass it on if I can.Thanks Mazz, Matto and Dave.That is EXACTLY what this forum is all about. Call me Pollyanna-ish, but isn't it so much better hearing stuff like this, and not the negative stuff? Ahhhhhhh.....MichaelWell, you're welcome.God bless you.

scounter72
Impressive
Impressive

Post by scounter72 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Hello - great thread,This is my first post, but I've been loitering around here for about 5 weeks: getting to grips with the early stages of my plan.I've been playing for over twenty years, so the question of investment versus financial reward is pretty redundant - this is what I do anyway, so why not seek to make some money at it I still need a day job - I only wish I'd given serious thought to this path 10 years ago.Have to say I found the Matt Hirt video series incredibly inspiring, and though, when I get back into FT employment, I may not have the time to be as prolific as I'd like to be, I found it very heartening to hear the advice. I'm gonna give it a shot (I'll still be doing this in 5 years, 10 years, whatever, anyway!), and this has been a great few weeks for me. I've pitched 2 tunes, and got 1 forward, and that makes me feel good, for sure. I've really enjoyed doing this thing day to day, rather than when I had a spare couple of hours, too! Until LaterShane

philbrown
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by philbrown » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 am

Wow - this thread along with Matt's video's is like eating Campbells condensed soup...and diggin' it...Workin' on my plan and hope to hit you all up for more insights...Thanks to all for 'the scoop'

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 pm

I wanted to jump in and say that for me the greatest value that I've found in Taxi is, if you ask the right questions you'll get the answers to how to make money via licensing. IF you utilize this forum, headquarter, submission/critiquing feedback and the training material including videos, write ups, this forum and the rallies you WILL learn how to line up all your ducks and get them quacking... I'm living proof that the system works. I've been a musician for over 20 years professionally but that doesn't mean a hill of bean when it comes to making money with music licensing, it's only one part of a much larger picture. I'm excited to say in less than two years I've learned from taxi how to WRITE commercially viable music including understanding what broadcast quality means and is and I've learned how to tweak my private studio up to produce my music. I've also learned about music supervisors, publishers and libraries and how vital they are to work in tandem with taxi and now I can say with all honesty I'm producing tracks that are being recognized by industry professionals as marketable music. NOW I can start seeing my music get licensed and see income from that stream. I also sell albums and perform which is NOT related to licensing at all so I won't open that can of worms. My biggest advice is be a professional at every stage of learning and in the biz process as well, do what you say you're going to do and STAY an eternal student of music licensing, writing and production and you'll reach you're goals. The five year model is the best I've seen but expect longer and I keep reminding myself that music licensing is a RESIDUAL income, I make a work once and it pays back over and over and there are precious few products in business that have that kind of long term payback! Its a numbers game, the more you produce the more your exponential income with payback... Hope that encourages somebody... I dun gone and preached myself HAPPY!
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

jeanna
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeanna » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks for putting it all in one place for us! I've been doing a lot of taxi boards reading and I watched all of the youtubes on this that Matt did with Micheal. VERY VERY helpful guys! And it was nice hearing the recomendations for staying on track that confirmed that I am on track as I should be.Keep the advice coming guys! We're listening!!!Jeanna

hurican
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hurican » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:44 pm

We are taking a bit longer route to musical success!We plan to focus on the "custom" end of it. Writing custom thematic and soundtrack music. Placing a large quantity of music in libraries has an appeal, but takes a bact seat to our main goal.But I would say the time everyone stated is accurate. It literally took me 4 years to find a group of musicians who can not only hold together long enough to record a CD for our band, but is multi-talented, committed and able to write music in a variety of different categories.I have a contact who was once with a major label, and he got a gig writing backing music for the history channel. Remember that this was 15 years ago. They paid him 12,000$ a song!Now, everyone and their brother have their own studio, the gear to slap together great sounding material and the web to get it out there.Supply is at it's peak. Demand has increased as well, but not at the same rate. So now we're talking about payouts in the hundreds, maybe a thou or two... and sometimes you'll see a listing with no payout at all... just the "privilege" of having your material in a publicly viewed environment.You can do it two ways. Saturate the archives with your music and hope to get those hits. Or do it smart. Find what you're really willing to commit to, research research research... network your ass off, bug anyone who has a connection. Be confident!... and sooner or later you'll find a formula that seems to work for you.Even after 4 years I haven't found mine, but I know I'm heading in the right direction and I'm close. Good luck in your search.

hookjawbrown
Impressive
Impressive

Post by hookjawbrown » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:41 am

What about someone (like me) who get commercial placements without any TAXI placements. I like TAXI because of all the helpful people in one place where ideas can be bounced around.Writing songs is about volume, but some songs come easy and some take forever to grow up. This is where Peer to Peer and the $5 or $20 review comes in handy. Friends and fans are reluctant to give insightful comments that are constructive. My Sis is the only one who makes "suggestions" that actually are positive.So thank you to all those fine ears out there in TAXI land.
Hookjaw Brown

Pre-Cleared, One Stop, Acoustic Country Blues

www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown