Making significant $ with film/TV music

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GavinKMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Making significant $ with film/TV music

Post by GavinKMusic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 am

I'm not interested in libraries. I'd rather people download my music for free and enjoy it. I make money in my pool business. good money. If the music is going to pay from submissions it looks like placements would be the target.

The most important thing I think is to have fun producing music. Build it first and they will come. Then I guess the money will come later? :D
VST Based Project Studio running Cubase 7.5, Nexus2, Sylenth1, Stylus RMX and Trilian.
Taxi
Broadjam
Facebook
Soundcloud

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:56 am

Great info Casey and it really Makes you think about the plan. As of Now Im not sure What that plan is and reading thru this has made me realize that. Could you or any others share your plan and the steps it took to get there? Thanks for all of the help.

Peace,
Bob LoGrasso

www.taxi.com/boblograsso

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 am

GavinKMusic wrote: The most important thing I think is to have fun producing music. Build it first and they will come. Then I guess the money will come later? :D
I agree that it is critical that you enjoy the process and creation. That you put your heart and soul into creating a really, really good product.

But they won't come, if they don't know you exist. So in any venture - identifying specifically:

1) Who they are
2) Where they are hanging out
3) and How you can get your product in front of them

So that they can "come" and the money can flow.

This is the essence of marketing.

GavinKMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GavinKMusic » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:32 am

coachdebra wrote:
GavinKMusic wrote: The most important thing I think is to have fun producing music. Build it first and they will come. Then I guess the money will come later? :D
I agree that it is critical that you enjoy the process and creation. That you put your heart and soul into creating a really, really good product.

But they won't come, if they don't know you exist. So in any venture - identifying specifically:

1) Who they are
2) Where they are hanging out
3) and How you can get your product in front of them

So that they can "come" and the money can flow.

This is the essence of marketing.
Thanks Debra I'll keep those points in mind. much appreciated. 8-)

Gavin
VST Based Project Studio running Cubase 7.5, Nexus2, Sylenth1, Stylus RMX and Trilian.
Taxi
Broadjam
Facebook
Soundcloud

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Casey I know this is a really old post but boy what an eye opener. I've been with taxi since 2010 I FEEL NOW I am getting closer to the style that suits me instrumentals I know i need more work on mixing etc but I am feeling comfortable about my music. looking forward to my third Road Rally. Hope to see many forum people who I have communicated with. By the way is it a pink dot that we put on our badge?

Take care,
thank you so much for insight

Ron and Diane
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:30 am

ronnie35 wrote:By the way is it a pink dot that we put on our badge?

Ron and Diane
Any color will do :D

ohioubobcat
Active
Active

Post by ohioubobcat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Very helpful insight. Thanks.

Coloradoskibum

Post by Coloradoskibum » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:55 am

I really wish this didn't take so much time to develop and learn. But as with anything, there is not fast track to success.

BlindTruth
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BlindTruth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for the post, Casey. As a newbie with Taxi (a little over a year), I've had a few forwards and lots of returns. I am happy to keep at it, as I am old enough to know the value of continuous learning. Your post keeps the optimism flowing.

You got a public collection of pieces I can listen to?

Cheers

Steven
Australia
Steven Harris

http://www.taxi.com/blindtruth
soundcloud.com/stevenjharris

Soundbed
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Soundbed » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for this thread everyone!

Is there a written down "5 year plan" somewhere? Or is it a bunch of hints and tips like those collected here, which you work for approx. 5 years, in the ways that best suit your lifestyle?

My current situation / activity, which isn't exactly a plan:
  • write & produce every day (6 or 7 days a week) after / before my day job.
  • submit on average 9 cues/songs to Taxi per month.
  • submit at least 20 cues to exclusive libraries per month (including any returned from Taxi)
  • > start by writing mostly short, k.i.s.s. cues
  • > collaborate on full songs with vocals & lyrics a couple times a month
  • attend the Rally every year
  • stay in contact with Taxi friends and nourish industry contacts
  • set aside a few hours a week to catalog everything produced, including session filenames, etc.
  • look for opportunities outside of Taxi as time permits
  • take online courses like how to run a small business, etc.
  • explore a new genre and style that's out of my comfort zone a couple times a month*
  • aim for "finishing" something once a day (on average)**
*Each time I try a new genre or style, it slows down my productivity at first.
**What I finish can get more and more complex or diverse or specialized over the next 5 years, or, I'll have to "finish" fewer per day as things get too complex, diverse or specialized.

There's probably more to list ... but that's the stuff that makes sense for me to write down at the moment. ;) :lol:

So my question -- Is there a written down "5 year plan" somewhere -- is as literal as it sounds. I will continue doing what I'm doing ... I think I'm on the right track. Just wondering if there's even more specific, concrete "plan" plans ...out there in cyberspace somewhere. :)

Also some broken links in this thread, not sure if they have been moved / still public?

http://www.caseysongs.com/publicfiles/M ... ss_101.ppt :?:
http://www.apra.co.nz/MusicConsumers/Pr ... Music.aspx redirected to http://apraamcos.co.nz/
hummingbird wrote:My business plan consists of:- acquiring the tools to create & produce broadcast quality music- learning how to use those tools effectively- work consistently to grow my knowledge of composition- create 200 well-composed, broadcast quality instrumental cues over a two year period, and get them signed.- understand that (for example), the forward of today is the deal of tomorrow... and is the income of the day after that- continue to pay it forward by sharing what I've learned with others on the path-H
Hi Vikki, if you had this to write out today, would you change anything?

Specifically, did you write and get 200 cues signed in 2 years? More or fewer (if you wish to share / elaborate)? Did the numbers work out to be "enough" for you? (etc.)
Cheers,
Nathan (Soundbed)

Composer Website New!
Soundcloud
Taxi Profile