Man at Work

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Man at Work

Post by DannyWeber » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:05 am

I’m remixing my Cover Songs. I’m trying to get them ready to pitch. Do I have this one right? Specifically the production, mix, mastering etc..

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Here’s the original version..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECVGN4Bsgg
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Man at Work

Post by lesmac » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Really nice! It'a a great song and you did a great job.
The only niggle I had was I thought the kick could have been a little too prominent and I lost the bass in places.

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:26 am

lesmac wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 pm
Really nice! It'a a great song and you did a great job.
The only niggle I had was I thought the kick could have been a little too prominent and I lost the bass in places.
I made the drums less aggressive and fixed the bass from becoming so lost in the mix by making it darker and raising the level.

Thanks for your ears, Les!

Dan

Here’s the original version..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECVGN4Bsgg

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 am

Your covers are really good, as usual. Just curious, are you doing these just as an exercise, to become a better mixer? If so, it's probably a great idea, and one I should emulate myself. However, you said something about pitching.... where would you pitch these? When Taxi asks for covers, they usually want something different then the original, like try "Who can it be now?" as a Blues tune, or acoustic. I'm not sure anyone would want a note-for-note cover of a hit. They might as well spring for the real thing if they want that song...

I could be wrong. Maybe Taxi asked for direct clones? Or maybe there is a market for cheaper knock-offs of hits?

Vince

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:20 pm

nicotina wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 am
Your covers are really good, as usual. Just curious, are you doing these just as an exercise, to become a better mixer? If so, it's probably a great idea, and one I should emulate myself.
Hey Vince,
I do these remixes as both an exercise for mixing and to see where my covers stand with others on this forum. I have gotten a lot of helpful feedback here!
nicotina wrote:
When Taxi asks for covers, they usually want something different then the original, like try "Who can it be now?" as a Blues tune, or acoustic.

I could be wrong. Maybe Taxi asked for direct clones? Or maybe there is a market for cheaper knock-offs of hits?
Thanks for your comments. While I would never consider my sound-alikes as cheap knock-offs, TAXI has asked for sound-alike cover songs in the past. I remember listings that extended several days if not weeks. TAXI was asking for sound-alike covers from all the eras of rock from the 60's to the 2000's.
nicotina wrote:
I'm not sure anyone would want a note-for-note cover of a hit. They might as well spring for the real thing if they want that song...
You have to remember.. the sound-alike covers we do, were originally done by established mainstream artists. Those artists will usually ask for a whole lot more money for placements than home studio musicians like us can. Plus, production companies would have to pay those artists royalties for repeats of a TV show, movie, advertisement etc..

When we get placements with our covers, we get a substantially lower sync fee and we cannot receive royalties from songs we didn't write. Sometimes it's a no-brainier for Music Supes on a tight budget.
nicotina wrote:
However, you said something about pitching.... where would you pitch these?
I am hoping to pitch these to one of the Music Libraries I'm working with. BTW my relationship with this Library came about through a TAXI forward I received back in 2016. The Library told me, they may be open to these type of tracks in the future.

I have signed a ton of instrumentals with them in the past and I thought this might help get my foot in the door as a vocalist/producer for sound-alike covers in the future.

Bottom line..
It might surprise you the wide variety of music, Music Supes and Libraries need. Especially, if you can save them time and money instead of going to established artists or composers for their needs!

Thanks again, Vince for your comments! I hope this helps!

Good luck,

Dan

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 am

Hi Dan You really nailed this song and I think it would be a great addition to any library. Nice job :)

Tom

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 pm

You are always a voice I love hearing from Tom!

Thank you,

Dan

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks for sharing man. I don't have any coaching notes. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the track. Men at Work were the second band to earn my "favorite band" title - displacing the Beach Boys. :) I really think Colin Hay is an underrated songwriter. Anyhow, thanks for sharing.

Johnny

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 am

DannyWeber I do admire your skills!

There's something about the production or mastering in your version that's feeling off to me.

Without a doubt it's a solid cover version, but to A/B tweak it closer to the original I think it needs a different polish.

I'm tempted to say something about the LUFS levels in your mix being too high but I don't even know what that means exactly, it's just that your mix is sounding a little "thick" in comparison, and I know the loudness wars have us all conditioned to push everything up to the borders of the sound envelope.

I think what I'm trying to express is if you can "soften" the mix a little it will truly shine.

Hope that's helpful, and if not, well, keep on keepin' on!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks Johnny! I think Men at Work are great too and I totally agree with you about Colin Hay but I also think his vocals are great too. The man can belt em’ out.

Hey Jay, I really appreciate your help. That being said, sometimes modern recording can be difficult when trying to emulate the Classic Rock sound. In this instance though as far as loudness wars, I’m afraid the ones who like it loud are winning this argument and I agree with them, sorry.

Even for sound-alike Classic Rock covers, the louder track is going to get the attention of the listener and I think that’s what we want to do as composers when we submit tracks to Libraries.

The people listening to our tracks want that wow factor to hit them right away or they will go on to the next one. I agree with you though, my covers don’t sound totally authentic using loudness plugins. I suspect it will be that way for a long time. Classic hardware is totally not an option for me.

Thank you guys for chiming in! I appreciate it!!

Dan